What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #131,356 of 137,797
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #131,357 of 137,797
Sade fan here, and my favorite Sade album is Love Deluxe (Epic, 1992). My collection...

Sade Love Deluxe.jpg

Favs - Feel No Pain; Cherish The Day; Bullet Proof Soul. Love that bass hook in Feel No Pain.
With this recommendation @sygnus21 , you have become a brother from another mother! I am very grateful that she left a formidable catalog before her apparent retirement.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #131,358 of 137,797
1703202898523.png
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads

One of my all-time favorite albums. Check out some of the extended versions of 'O'Malley's Bar' on some of the 'Rarities' albums - there's a lot more verses!

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #131,359 of 137,797
Jefferson Airplane “Surrealistic Pillow”
Ironically enough, the only Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna photos I have are NOT from the San Francisco Bay area....
Washington, DC - 'P' Street Beach, I think it was, 1970.... More a Hot Tuna with Joey and Marty show, as Paul and Grace were not there....
1703205336536.jpeg

1703205405101.jpeg

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #131,360 of 137,797
Thanks. And a catalog it is. What a great musician, and voice.

Anyway, as I'm listening to her, it got me in the mood for some Sweetback (1996). Sweetback is composed of members of Sade's band. This one released after Love Deluxe...

Sweetback.jpg

A great mixture of smooth R&B/Soul/Instrumental/jazz. No appearances by Sade herself though on either album. They only released two - Sweetback, Stage [2].

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #131,361 of 137,797
IMG_2135.jpeg

Tom Petty - Saving Grace

The Black Keys - Good Love (w/ Billy Gibbons)

Queens of the Stone Age - Time & Place

Gomez- Shot Shot

Focus - Hocus Pocus

David Bowie - Station To Station

The Who - Magic Bus (live)

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man

The Cars - Good Times Roll

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #131,365 of 137,797
The 2009 Remaster:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg
VERY under-rated Stones album, in my opinion. My favorite post-Exile album, though I'm quite fond of Goat's Head Soup, too.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #131,366 of 137,797
I’d posted earlier about discovering I had Satana’s Lotus album. After listening to it on Spotify (currently no turntable), I decided to order the complete edition.

Today it came in - Santana Lotus (Complete Edition) CD. What a beautiful package this is. It comes in a 7 x 7-inch package replication a mini-LP with 3 discs, two 4-panel pull out posters, 4 individual posters, two booklets (one completely Japanese), a concert ticket facsimile, and more. Some images…

Santana-Lotus-CD.jpg

Santana Lotus Package Case.jpg

Santana-Lotus-Discs.jpg

Here the CD's inner sleeve. The second image is the CD snapped in place on a round cardboard CD holder to replicate an album...
Santana-Lotus-CD-Sleeve.jpg Santana-Lotus-CD-Holder.jpg

To get an idea of what’s in the package see the first part of this YouTube video review.

The package measures 7 x 7 inches and is basically a mini-LP in CD form. BTW, in addition to being a hybrid SACD (compatible on standard CD players) in addition to being multichannel, it is also quad channel, thus the SACD 4.0 designation. Unfortunately, I have no SACD player so multichannel is lost to me. But it does and is playing on my standard CD player without issue and it sounds great for a live recording. Happy I got this.

That said, this edition is expensive (can get the normal 2 disc set from Amazon for 18 bucks); though I was lucky to get it for $70 bucks, plus 10 shipping. Got it from Japan via e-Bay. Most places are asking 80+. It is an import so more than likely it'll be coming from Japan if one wants a copy.

Honestly, unless you're a collector of such things, and want the entire concert (not all "Santana" content), and this beautiful package, I'd just get the normal CD. For me, I wanted this edition, so I went for it, even knowing the expense.

Lastly, I don't buy anything I won't listen to no matter how "collectable" so if you're a Satana fan, or simply enjoy great live music, I highly recommend this album - whether the complete edition or the normal 2-disc edition, which is basically the original album release minus the intro track. Trust me, you're not going to miss anything there.

My two cents :slight_smile:
For the physical media collector who likes special editions....

I posted about getting this Santana Lotus complete edition earlier this month and noted I paid $85 bucks total for it (70 +10 international shipping + 5 taxes.). A bit expensive, but as I collect, I really wanted this edition so that's what I paid to get it.

Anyway, if anyone interested in this exquisite edition Amazon is currently selling it for $61.40 bucks with free international shipping for Prime members. Just pay applicable state taxes. For me it would be $65.70 bucks total and arrive on 9 January 2023.

At $61 bucks, for 3 hybrid 4.0 SACDs capable of outputting in quad, plus the packaging they come in. That's a steal.

And yeah, we know you can "stream it", but on Spotify and qobuz, you can't get the "Complete" edition. The Complete edition has 30 tracks and is 2:37 hours long.

Just FYI :sunglasses:

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #131,368 of 137,797
One of a few albums by Anthony Rother where he went in an ambient / experimental direction, a deviation from his usual techno and electro. They were originally released on the legendary Fax label but now up on his Bandcamp. Fantastic albums.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #131,369 of 137,797
One of a few albums by Anthony Rother where he went in an ambient / experimental direction, a deviation from his usual techno and electro. They were originally released on the legendary Fax label but now up on his Bandcamp. Fantastic albums.

I like the way that first track, The Machine Room (Part 1), gives this great sense of depth and spaciousness. It's like you're surrounded with this wall of sound. Not much into ambient, but I like this track. Very evocative. I might actually pick that up.

Is this it? The Machine Room by Anthony Rother...

41V1ivk5d7L.jpg

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #131,370 of 137,797
I like the way that first track, The Machine Room (Part 1), gives this great sense of depth and spaciousness. It's like you're surrounded with this wall of sound. Not much into ambient, but I like this track. Very evocative. I might actually pick that up.

Is this it? The Machine Room by Anthony Rother...

41V1ivk5d7L.jpg

If you enjoy the first track, I’ve no doubt you’ll enjoy the full album. While it’s categorised as ‘ambient’, there is so much going on throughout, the type of album that grabs your attention from start to finish.

Yes that’s the cover to the reissue on the Ambient World label which was a sub label to Fax - a lot of Fax releases became incredibly rare and even more so when Pete Namlook (label founder) passed away a few years ago.

This is the cover from the original Fax release.

IMG_9456.jpeg

And out of interest I had a look at what it is currently selling for on Discogs 😬

IMG_9458.jpeg

Much more reasonable on Ambient World… which is the version I own. Sorry btw, a long answer to your question, and I know you may not even want the CD, I’m just nerding out 😂

IMG_9459.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back