What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #130,756 of 137,795
I saw The Who down in LA on 11/22/73. Opening act was the Eagles, followed by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and then finally The Who. I believe it was Thanksgiving night in a tremendous rainstorm. Getting there was hellacious. Back then, all seats were the same price. (Madonna I believe was the first big star to segment the arena into different price areas based on location). I think I paid somewhere between $8 and $12. Great memory. Good show!

Leo
You saw them 2 nights after I did; it was a big rainstorm here on Nov 20, too.
I think I'd rather have had the whole Quadrophenia show like you did than my Keith Moon story! :darthsmile:

But another time the Who were in town, playing at Winterland, and this friend of mine and I hung out with these 2 girls, and they wanted to try to find the Who and get autographs. Somehow or other they figured out which hotel they'd be at and we got in the elevator and started checking out floors; at one floor the door opened and in come Keith Moon and John Entwistle kinda wrestling with each other into the elevator. They stopped when they got inside and gave us autographs, and one of the girls said 'Keith, we want to challenge you to a food fight!'. He replied "YOU'D LOOOOOSE!!", then the doors to their floor opened and John and Keith resumed their horsing about and left us in the lift.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #130,757 of 137,795
If you go through this thread and search for Hubbard, or my posts lately, you'll find I've been (slowly!) going through almost all of his discography (I skipped some in my collection). I comment on the albums I like the best.

Though I haven't listened to his post-mid 70's output as much as his earlier material, my view is that his last truly great album was 1975's Polar AC (though '81's Outpost is pretty good and I need to re-listen to/reassess some of his later releases).

So, to me, The Love Connection is fine, but nothing special. It sounds like you might expect: late 70's/early 80's sound with the jazz element reduced in favor of funk/soul/rnb styles (just like many of Hubbard's late 70's releases). It's like Skagly in that way, only even more so, especially as it sounds like it's going for a more popular "FM oriented, urban, soft rock/pop" audience. I gave it a 3/5 on my All Music Guide profile, same as Skagly.

CH.jpg

Folder (4).jpg

R-4449439-1619647294-2431.jpg

FHS.jpg

Folder.jpg
Well, the mid to late 70's is where I got into "jazz", and I am an urban person, so I get the drift. Anyway, I'm in a different space now, but I still appreciate that jazz era. With that, I'm kind of guessing Splash isn't your cup of tea either? I have that album, so I know the sound very well.

I also have that Full House of Love album, but only on vinyl. That one never really moved me though. In fact, I don't really remember much of it. Will have to give it a listen on Spotify to see if I'm missing anything.

Anyway, this is my Hubbard on CD...

Freddie Hubbard Collection.jpg

Really like Red Clay. Love Splash, but that also has sentimental value for me. And yes, it is the most popish / urban of any of his stuff I have.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #130,758 of 137,795
Screenshot_20231205-221456.png

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #130,760 of 137,795
Right on ... I'm in the same boat with the discovery of his music. His period working with the arranger Gil Evans is fascinating, too, I think you own "Sketches of Spain." Fantastic. That time period with Gil Evans was 1957 - 1962 and there were five albums produced. Gil Evans didn't collaborate on "Kind of Blue" however, but Bill Evans did play piano on that album. :)
Hey man sorry I missed this earlier.

Yeah, I do have Sketches of Spain. At first, the only track I liked on it was Solea, but over time the rest of the album has grown on me. It's really one of those albums you have to hear a few times to get into it. Most people will initially hate it and think it weird until they've heard it a few times, then come to appreciate it's genius.

As far as I understand it, Gil Evans collaborated on 3 Miles Davis album, all of which I have - Miles Ahead (1957), Porgy and Bess (1958), and Sketches of Spain (1960). He did play with Miles on a few albums though including Kind of Blue.

BTW, these are my top 5 Miles album as posted > here. My top 3 would be Kind of Blue; In A Silent Way; Bitches Brew (order dependent on how I feel at a given moment :slight_smile:)

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #130,761 of 137,795
Hey man sorry I missed this earlier.

Yeah, I do have Sketches of Spain. At first, the only track I liked on it was Solea, but over time the rest of the album has grown on me. It's really one of those albums you have to hear a few times to get into it. Most people will initially hate it and think it weird until they've heard it a few times, then come to appreciate it's genius.

As far as I understand it, Gil Evans collaborated on 3 Miles Davis album, all of which I have - Miles Ahead (1957), Porgy and Bess (1958), and Sketches of Spain (1960). He did play with Miles on a few albums though including Kind of Blue.

BTW, these are my top 5 Miles album as posted > here. My top 3 would be Kind of Blue; In A Silent Way; Bitches Brew (order dependent on how I feel at a given moment :slight_smile:)
Just finished listening to 'Live Evil' for the first time; there's some serious rockin' on that one....

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #130,763 of 137,795
Just finished listening to 'Live Evil' for the first time; there's some serious rockin' on that one....
It's funny you brought this album up as I was going to ask about it a few weeks back, seeing it's one that never gets mentioned. I've seen post and posts on Mile Davis, but rarely if ever see Live Evil mentioned or posted.

Anyway, I've had both Bitches Brew and Live Evil for at least 20 years (got both at the same time) but only recently came to appreciate Bitches Brew. I still struggle with Live Evil. Today Bitches Brew is one of my favorite albums; I don't even look at Live Evil, though I just listened to it a few weeks ago. For me, it's just a little too hectic.

That said truth be told, I am trying to get into it, and why I gave it a listen a few weeks back, but for now, not feeling it.

BTW, a lot of people were/are turned off by the album's back cover as many felt/feel it's insulting (racist), but....

Miles Davis - Live Evil.jpg

I won't get into the politics of things but will point to history and the way African Americans were / are themselves portrayed. Perhaps this is his commentary on that.

Regardless, musically it's one of those love/hate albums even Miles fans (me) struggles with.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #130,764 of 137,795
Screenshot_20231206-092632.png

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #130,765 of 137,795

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #130,766 of 137,795
It was supposed to be funny, pointing out your spelling of an iconic band by misspelling it myself :sweat_smile:
Oh well here's some music :relaxed:

'No body understands',

~ I still don't get it

~ It's no joke, spelling something "wong" is simply wrong and it's not funny - it makes no sense

( Edit: that was simply a keystroke error, so... )

Moving on

I'm old damnit - and the lawn, you know, get out and wiggle those toes in the grass :grin:

Moving on from Humble Pie, here's Peter's second studio recording 1972:
Frampton's_Camel_Album.jpg

BBC Radio

71Di48Ia0aL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

ExciteableBoyCover-e1610449441184.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #130,767 of 137,795
AVRG.jpg
AKNOH.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring > GEL3N > LCD-4

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #130,768 of 137,795
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus Deluxe.png
By 1978, LF had released a number of studio albums and that music forms the
songs for this album. The primary musicians here are Lowell George and Paul Barrere
(lead vocals and guitars), Richie Hayward (drums), and Bill Payne (keys). The Tower
of Power horns also perform on these live shows. Sadly, Mr. George passed in 1979.

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week ....png
Song composed by Stevie Wonder. Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass.

Vinnie Colaiuta on the drums!

Song composed by John Lennon / Paul McCartney.

Live Little Feat released in 1978 and remastered in 2022, listening to the main
compilation discs, and Live Jeff Beck from 2008. Great live music that I must
listen to at least once a month or else go into withdrawals. HD800 ~~~~~> :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back