Blood, Sweat and Tears

Blood, Sweat and Tears
Original Release Date: September 5, 2000
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Extra tracks,
Original recording remastered
Label: Sony

Song Title:
1. Variations On A Theme By Erik Satie (1st and 2nd Movements - Adapted From "Trois Gymnopedies')2:35
2. Smiling Phases5:12
3. Sometimes In Winter3:52
4. More And More3:04
5. And When I Die4:06
6. God Bless The Child5:55
7. Spinning Wheel4:08
8. You've Made Me So Very Happy4:20
9. Blues-Part II11:45
10. Variation On A Theme By Erik Satie (1st Movement - Adapted From "Trois Gymnopedies")1:39
11. More And More (live)4:47
12. Smiling Phases (live)18:43
--------------------------------------------------=>
Kula Shaker

Strangefolk

Original Release Date: August 20, 2007
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Import
Label: Strangefolk
Alternative-Rock
Eclectic mix of freakbeat, ragtime, chicago blues, acid rock and medieval harmonies, with Eastern Mystical overtones ~

Track list:
1. Out on the Highway
2. Second Sight
3. Die for Love
4. Great Dictator (Of the Free World)
5. Strangefolk
6. Song of Love/Narayana
7. Shadowlands
8. Fool That I Am
9. Hurricane Season
10. Ol' Jack Tar
11. 6Ft Down Blues
12. Dr Kitt
13. Persephone

As reviewed by: Forceten
(New Jersey, USA)
February 1, 2008

A triumphant return for a band that was missed...
At first listen, I wasn't sure what to make of this record. It seemed to be going in various directions. And after the bombast and wall of noise in previous album tracks like Tattva, Hey Dude, Govinda, and Mystical Machine Gun, well, I was expecting more of the same.

After giving it a second and third listen, I "got it". I didn't need to hear more of the same - but what I heard I fell in love with.

Make no mistake - this is Mills and Bevan at their swirling, powerful, 60's/70's fueled musical soundscape creating best. But this is an older, wiser, smarter band - a band that spent 7 months on the road learning how to play together again - a band that learned what it means to kick back and jam (and like few can do, make it SOUND like you're sitting down, sipping a top-shelf drink, and _feeling_ the groove in a nice, comfortable dark bar).

Mills still can snarl and seduce - sometimes in back to back verses. But while he still throws a few political barbs in, he does it with a sense of humor and a laid-back attitude. He isn't taking it so seriously anymore - and to great effect. Some critics (like the perception-first rag NME) tossed this album off as an also-ran band, making fun of Great Dictator -- but they've missed the point. It's meant to be silly, it's meant to be tongue in cheek. And fun. It has a point, but we're not going to lose sleep over it.

The influences are all over the place. McCartney. Lennon. Dylan. Floyd. 90's Britrock. And, Old Kula Shaker. But they pull it off - they don't sound like they're copying anyone's sound. And the album gets stronger as it goes on.

The only real 'miss' is the title track; but it's more of an intermission than a song.

Highlights:

Out on the Highway - 2nd UK single - nice beat to get your feet tapping and head bobbing.

Second Sight - lead UK single - produced by Sam Williams (who has produced much by Supergrass), I sort of hear a bit of The Animalhouse here; great power track.

Song Of Love / Narayana - What can I say - this is Kula Shaker - the Indian instruments blend in nicely; the Indian chorus is quite trippy. Well put together. A major highlight.

Shadowlands - This one has a Lennon-esque feel. Nice, soft, melodic track.

Fool That I Am - oh, this one is neat. Nice classic rock poppy vibe, with a real neat hard organ that sounds like The Doors.

Also fantastic Hurricane Season (evokes a bit of Dylan and Folk), and 6ft Down Blues (great groove and superlative bass line).

Overall - *****. Highly recommended. A return to form. A tight band. The production is fantastic and well balanced, and the recording's clean.

/ People are strange, strange folk, indeed
wink.gif

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #11,243 of 137,563
[size=large]Band: Fu Manchu
Album: In Search of...[/size]

f1e0820dd7a09b17a389d010.L.jpg

[size=large]!!!!!!!!!!

Holy %&*#@!!!![/size]

Jeez this record makes me want to surf. Or skateboard. Or break something.

Divine tube amp guitar riff rock.

Tone in droves.

Sick. Sick. Sick.

jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back