steely-dan-gaucho-1980.jpg In Through The Out Door_Led Zeppelin.jpg

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #96,515 of 137,788
revisiting my emotions here nearly lost it -

This feeds my soul.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #96,517 of 137,788
@DLeeWebb Thanks
I think Gaucho is an under rated album.
Third World man is one of my favourite Steely Dan tracks, and Larry Carlton's solo on that song is absolutely fantastic.

I doubt that even the keenest Zep fans ( and I am one) would regard In Through the Out Door as one of the band's finest albums, but I really like two tracks;
In the Evening
Fool in the Rain, simply because of Bonzo's amazing drumming.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #96,522 of 137,788
@DLeeWebb Thanks
I think Gaucho is an under rated album.
Third World man is one of my favourite Steely Dan tracks, and Larry Carlton's solo on that song is absolutely fantastic.

I doubt that even the keenest Zep fans ( and I am one) would regard In Through the Out Door as one of the band's finest albums, but I really like two tracks;
In the Evening
Fool in the Rain, simply because of Bonzo's amazing drumming.

We seem to have similar taste in music. My favorite songs on "Gaucho" are "Hey Nineteen," and especially, "Time Out Of Mind," (which is my favorite Steely Dan song of all).It is definitely an underrated album, for sure. "In Through The Out Door" certainly wasn't Zeppelin's best (I remember reading that they were going through various difficulties during the production and recording of that album). I remember thinking when the album came out that, "In The Evening" was like the "old" Zeppelin...cheers!

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #96,525 of 137,788
We seem to have similar taste in music. My favorite songs on "Gaucho" are "Hey Nineteen," and especially, "Time Out Of Mind," (which is my favorite Steely Dan song of all).It is definitely an underrated album, for sure. "In Through The Out Door" certainly wasn't Zeppelin's best (I remember reading that they were going through various difficulties during the production and recording of that album). I remember thinking when the album came out that, "In The Evening" was like the "old" Zeppelin...cheers!

:relaxed:
Those two from Gaucho are great songs too! Brilliant musicianship on the whole album, from what reads like a 'who's who' of great guest players.
You are right about 'In Through the out Door'.
Jimmy Page had far less input than on the previous album 'Presence' which was very much a guitar- based album.
John Paul Jones was far more involved in the song writing. He is a brilliant musician; one of my favourite bass players and a great pianist- but there is too much synth on this album for my liking.
Jimmy Page said he wanted the next album to be another 'riff-based' one, but sadly it never happened, as John Bonham died the next year, 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back