What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #96,526 of 137,786
603497854820.sml.jpg

Can't seem to put this one down at the minute. DSD and sounds bloody amazing.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #96,527 of 137,786
1595346438818.jpeg

1595346557063.jpeg

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #96,529 of 137,786
:relaxed:
Those two from Gaucho are great songs too! Brilliant musicianship on the whole album, from what reads like a 'who's who' of great guest players.
You are right about 'In Through the out Door'.
Jimmy Page had far less input than on the previous album 'Presence' which was very much a guitar- based album.
John Paul Jones was far more involved in the song writing. He is a brilliant musician; one of my favourite bass players and a great pianist- but there is too much synth on this album for my liking.
Jimmy Page said he wanted the next album to be another 'riff-based' one, but sadly it never happened, as John Bonham died the next year, 1980.

You nailed it LS! I have read all of what you mentioned, and agree with your evaluation of "In Through The Out Door." I saw Led Zeppelin in 1975 at Philadelphia's Spectrum Arena just before "Physical Graffiti" was released. I saw them again in '77 at The Cap Center near D.C. on the "Presence" tour, They were both phenomenal concerts. However, they were tighter, and just a freakin' force of nature in 1975. They had a pyrotecnics misfire at the Cap Center that singed Robert Plant, and Jimmy was reputed to be having a crisis with regard to drugs and alcohol during that time period, He did seem to be a little sloppy that evening. John Bonham's health must have been in decline to some degree at that point. I think that they took some of these issues into "In Through The Out Door" as well. Also, I think Robert Plant's son, wife, or both were killed in a car accident around that time. I saw "Zeppelin" again one final time at the "Live Aid" concert at JFK in Philly with Phil Collins on the drums. It brought back memories, but sadly it just wasn't Zeppelin without Bonham.1975 was the tour. I thought that I was going to die right there at The Spectrum when Jimmy started that opening guitar riff of "In My Time Of Dying." "Physical Graffiti" had not been released. What a way to be introduced to a new song...WOW!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #96,530 of 137,786
Simon Phillips - Simon Phillips - Protocol II.jpg
Simon Phillips - Protocol III.jpg
Fantastic fusion. Another favorite drummer ... Simon Phillips. Andy Timmons
kills it on guitar. Thanks this time to @Pietro Cozzi Tinin for your advice!
HD800 -----------> :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #96,531 of 137,786
0C32EB58-38F8-4FB8-AFAE-B1D254D89D00.jpeg

019097FE-25EC-409E-A527-A118F080D4C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #96,534 of 137,786
1595368931940.png

1595368947914.png

1595368960482.png

1595368971717.png

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #96,538 of 137,786
You nailed it LS! I have read all of what you mentioned, and agree with your evaluation of "In Through The Out Door." I saw Led Zeppelin in 1975 at Philadelphia's Spectrum Arena just before "Physical Graffiti" was released. I saw them again in '77 at The Cap Center near D.C. on the "Presence" tour, They were both phenomenal concerts. However, they were tighter, and just a freakin' force of nature in 1975. They had a pyrotecnics misfire at the Cap Center that singed Robert Plant, and Jimmy was reputed to be having a crisis with regard to drugs and alcohol during that time period, He did seem to be a little sloppy that evening. John Bonham's health must have been in decline to some degree at that point. I think that they took some of these issues into "In Through The Out Door" as well. Also, I think Robert Plant's son, wife, or both were killed in a car accident around that time. I saw "Zeppelin" again one final time at the "Live Aid" concert at JFK in Philly with Phil Collins on the drums. It brought back memories, but sadly it just wasn't Zeppelin without Bonham.1975 was the tour. I thought that I was going to die right there at The Spectrum when Jimmy started that opening guitar riff of "In My Time Of Dying." "Physical Graffiti" had not been released. What a way to be introduced to a new song...WOW!

@DLeeWebb Wow! You are a lucky man.
I only saw Zeppelin once. That was 1975 at Earls Court in London, just after Physical Graffiti had been released.
A friend of mine saw them in 1969. They played Whole Lotta Love before Led Zep II had been released. They were an amazing, raw Blues band back then.
I think the band peaked in '75 and they had so much material by then as well.
You are right about In Through the Out Door. Jimmy was on drugs and Bonham on booze.
Plant's son Karac had died in '77, so they really weren't functioning properly as a band.
Personally , I thought the Live Aid performance was a complete embarrassment and switched it off!
Zeppelin didn't exist without John Bonham. Robert Plant has always said that as they go back a very long way.
It must have been amazing to hear 'In My Time of Dying' performed live before Graffiti came out!
There is a great guy here in the UK who is one of the greatest authorities anywhere on Zeppelin.
His name is Dave Lewis and he produces a magazine called 'Tight but Loose'.
I have met Dave. He is the most knowledgeable and passionate Zeppelin fan I have ever met.
http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/
I was very lucky to grow up in the '70s when there were so many phenomenal bands around. Zeppelin at their peak were, in my opinion, almost in a class of their own for a while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back