What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #59,116 of 136,417

@DLeeWebb Just saw them at the Ryman in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Hearing Familiarity live was transcendent. 

I think that show was just a week or a day before the one I attended at the Riv in Chicago, and I had exactly the same experience. It's amazing how well they pulled off the whole set, but Familiarity was a highlight, especially considering how distinct it is from the rest of their works.

I think to see anyone at The Ryman would be "transcendent." I need to see the Punch Brothers. What do you think of their newest album?

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #59,117 of 136,417
  Finally a WEB Radio with CD Quality (FLAC Lossless) : http://www.europaradiojazz.org/page4/index.html

sounds good to me...
beerchug.gif

Yes? ? Lol
Looking forward to tesTing that service later. Sounds promising!

haha.. took me awhile to see the reference...

I don't normally listen to radio stations, but I'm liking this... good quality and zero commercials.

I tried to open the stream.flac.m3u file in foobar early this morning (GMT) and it wouldn't work, but it's working now. My guess is the station doesn't operate 24hrs - the guy running it was probably asleep. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #59,119 of 136,417

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #59,125 of 136,417

I think to see anyone at The Ryman would be "transcendent." I need to see the Punch Brothers. What do you think of their newest album?

It's a pretty varied album, with some explorations in a more modern direction than previous efforts. Gabe Witcher even trades in his violin for a drum kit on occasion, and I think it's a step in the right direction for the group. As great as their pure vocal-centric bluegrass sound has been for the last few albums, they weren't progressing much. While this new album in no way means that the band is moving away from a bluegrass sound, it puts a new spin on things and seems like a much more polished album in place with the times than earlier releases.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #59,127 of 136,417
I went to hear a chamber music concert today consisting of Schubert's String Quintet in C major and Kalevi Aho's String Quintet "Hommage à Schubert", which as the name implies pays homage to Schubert's string quintet with two cellos. Schubert's work has never really grabbed me so the first half was only mildly interesting. The quintet by Aho however was sublime. Sublime! I was holding back tears; the music was so full of emotion and color. With Elina Vähälä and Jaakko Kuusisto on violin, it was truly a world-class performance. I've long been a fan of Aho's work, but this piece certainly was up there with my favorites of his. Shame that no recording of it exists to my knowledge (the composition is from 2009). On Tuesday I shall attend a second concert featuring music of Kuusisto, Nielsen and Mozart. Looking forward to it.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #59,130 of 136,417
Archive - You All Look The Same To Me (2002)

Black Country Communion - 1 (2010)

Archive - Londinium (1996)

The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)

Taddy Porter - Taddy Porter (2010)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back