What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #54,466 of 136,301
  I remember the morning I received the soundtrack in the mail. I guess that was quite a few years ago now. The movie hadn't even come out in the West yet so I could only guess as to what kind of scene each of the tracks belonged to.

Do you have Nobuo's solo album Phantasmagoria on CD? Or the gold edition of Project Majestic Mix: A Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu? Both are worth having. However the latter especially is quite difficult to acquire. Only 1500 numbered copies were made.

I imported my first press copy from Japan and ended up waiting weeks for it to clear customs. That foil slipcase is the best I've seen - looks far better in person!

I actually collect Final Fantasy soundtracks, but haven't gotten around to Nobuo Uematsu's solo material.

One copy out of 1,500 should be easy enough to track down. I have a few albums produced in quantities under 100. Heh...I just found a handful of copies of the gold edition within seconds.
cool.gif

However...I've already spent $20-30K on my music collection, and that was before I even got into audiophile headphone gear and the like, so I'm a bit pickier now with what music I invest in. Gotta save up for stuff to make the music sound better, after all!

Maybe someday I will complete my collection...

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #54,468 of 136,301
She's fantastic, I really enjoyed her previous album The ArchAndroid

I like the song featuring  Eryka Badu but the rest of the album is yet to grow on me

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #54,471 of 136,301

I imported my first press copy from Japan and ended up waiting weeks for it to clear customs. That foil slipcase is the best I've seen - looks far better in person!

I actually collect Final Fantasy soundtracks, but haven't gotten around to Nobuo Uematsu's solo material.

One copy out of 1,500 should be easy enough to track down. I have a few albums produced in quantities under 100. Heh...I just found a handful of copies of the gold edition within seconds.
cool.gif

However...I've already spent $20-30K on my music collection, and that was before I even got into audiophile headphone gear and the like, so I'm a bit pickier now with what music I invest in. Gotta save up for stuff to make the music sound better, after all!

Maybe someday I will complete my collection...

Haven't checked how much unopened copies go for these days. A decade ago they already sold for as high as two to three hundred bucks. Used mint condition ones are naturally much more common.

Yeah a lot of the music I've bought over the past couple of years are from editions of a hundred or less copies. Physical medium is sadly becoming a thing of the past. Fortunately vinyl is seeing a stronger and stronger revival and a lot of the music I've bought recently has had a limited edition vinyl without there even being a CD release. One such release made me finally get my turntable last year and it was definitely one of the best purchases in my life.

I don't even want to know how much money I've spent on music… 60k€ might be a good rough estimate. I honestly have no idea. Together with my audio gear probably around 100k€. Crazy thing to think about, but some people pay that much (or more) for their car. I do understand the appeal of high performance luxury cars, but at the end of the day a car takes you from point A to B. Music takes you to places no vehicle or road can.

Oh and regarding your Final Fantasy music collection, I don't know what albums it already contains but some of the ones I would recommend include: Final Fantasy V: Dear Friends, Final Fantasy VII: Piano Collections, Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, Final Fantasy 20020220, and More Friends: Music from Final Fantasy. I assume you already have all three The Black Mages albums.

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #54,472 of 136,301
  Haven't checked how much unopened copies go for these days. A decade ago they already sold for as high as two to three hundred bucks. Used mint condition ones are naturally much more common.

Yeah a lot of the music I've bought over the past couple of years are from editions of a hundred or less copies. Physical medium is sadly becoming a thing of the past. Fortunately vinyl is seeing a stronger and stronger revival and a lot of the music I've bought recently has had a limited edition vinyl without there even being a CD release. One such release made me finally get my turntable last year and it was definitely one of the best purchases in my life.

I don't even want to know how much money I've spent on music… 60k€ might be a good rough estimate. I honestly have no idea. Together with my audio gear probably around 100k€. Crazy thing to think about, but some people pay that much (or more) for their car. I do understand the appeal of high performance luxury cars, but at the end of the day a car takes you from point A to B. Music takes you to places no vehicle or road can.

Oh and regarding your Final Fantasy music collection, I don't know what albums it already contains but some of the ones I would recommend include: Final Fantasy V: Dear Friends, Final Fantasy VII: Piano Collections, Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, Final Fantasy 20020220, and More Friends: Music from Final Fantasy. I assume you already have all three The Black Mages albums.

And here I thought I was a hardcore music collector. (Most people think I'm crazy for it.) 60,000 Euros is about $80,000!

Unopened copies of Project Majestic Mix, you mean? Used copies of the seven-disc Final Fantasy XI Original Soundtrack Premium Box can go for $300-400! Years ago, I had the limited edition Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack, but sold it.

I have about 50 vinyl records (purchased for their rarity), but still don't have a record player! I want to get one with the equipment to properly rip them to digital.

"Music takes you to places no vehicle or road can" is a great catchphrase!

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #54,477 of 136,301
  And here I thought I was a hardcore music collector. (Most people think I'm crazy for it.) 60,000 Euros is about $80,000!

Unopened copies of Project Majestic Mix, you mean? Used copies of the seven-disc Final Fantasy XI Original Soundtrack Premium Box can go for $300-400! Years ago, I had the limited edition Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack, but sold it.

I have about 50 vinyl records (purchased for their rarity), but still don't have a record player! I want to get one with the equipment to properly rip them to digital.

"Music takes you to places no vehicle or road can" is a great catchphrase!

There are people out there who own 10,000+ LPs so you and me still have ways to go. 
biggrin.gif

Yes, I was referring to PMM. Phantasmagoria is still commonly available. Amazon Japan at least seems to have it in stock and are selling it for ~$30. Based on the release date would seem it was reissued in 2004. When I bought my copy in the early 00s, the album was OOP and stocks were running low, so I'm not surprised.

Yes I liked how that phrase turned out as well. I don't feel I'm usually very good with words, but from time to time I do manage to put together something that feels like it has a couple crumbs of wisdom in it.

ミユキ (Miyuki) - Signs of Future: Aftersound
https://miyuki.bandcamp.com/album/signs-of-future-aftersound (FREE!)

It took me a couple of listens to start to gradually absorb this EP, but now I think I might prefer it to its sibling EP. I think this is a really powerful record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back