What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #53,791 of 136,190
I will listen to both albums and have at it! While this particular piece calls for technical ability, that doesn't mean much if there is no heart. I for one listen more for enjoyment rather than sheer technique and a critical ear, although I do prefer a bit of both. I've only played for 5 years and haven't picked up a violin in some time so I'm in no position to criticize lol.
Soundsgoodtome : That is an excellent Bach musical piece.  Have you listened to the versions by Itzhak Pearlman & Arthur Grumiaux ?  Pearlman's version has been bashed by critics & I can't understand why (probably due to the fact that I'm not a musical expert/critic).  They are both beautifully played; I would deem Grumiaux's version as more technical & Pearlman's version as being more from the heart which is what I generally prefer in music.  Good choice Soundsgoodtome if I may say so.

The mere fact that you play violin is quite impressive to me personally.  In my case I played the spoons at French Canadian family gatherings when I was younger & I haven't picked up a set of spoons in decades 
biggrin.gif
  I envy you.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #53,792 of 136,190
The mere fact that you play violin is quite impressive to me personally.  In my case I played the spoons at French Canadian family gatherings when I was younger & I haven't picked up a set of spoons in decades :D   I envy you.

Violin and Piano to be exact but 5 years is hardly any time. Spoons you say, I'm quite familiar with such graceful instrument. Practice 3x a day.... breakfast lunch and dinner lol

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #53,794 of 136,190
  Hey RUMAY408 : I only listen to music on CDs & a few ( very few) vinyl LPs.  I have both the mono & stereo remastered Beatles albums.  I can understand why you mention being torn between Rubber Soul & Abbey Road : to begin with, they are both excellent albums/songs but they also happen to be the two best produced stereo albums in The Beatles' catalog.  As you probably already know up until the White Album, the Beatles music was recorded in mono & then converted to stereo.  When RS was converted to stereo George Martin didn't like the final product and so took it upon himself to rework the stereo version on his own.  When EMI remastered the albums (2009 version) RS is the only album that the engineers did go to the original tapes but rather they used George Martin's original stereo conversion as a basis for the remaster.  If you listen to RS closely it sounds better than Revolver, Pepper, Mystery Tour & even the White Album stereo versions as a whole.  The only other stereo album to sound somewhat better is Abbey Road (I don't personally like Phil Spector's production of Let it be; I prefer the 2004 Let it be … Naked version so I don't count it with the other albums in the catalog which of course were all produced by George Martin).  My favourite Beatles albums in order : WA, RS, AR, REV., MMT, SP & LIBNaked followed by the Past Masters.  Never get tired of listening to this band. 
beerchug.gif

The naked version of Let It Be on vinyl is so much better than the Phil Spector version I'm in total agreement with that.

My order Beatles catalog RS>AR>WA>SP>REV>Singles 2nd>Singles 1st>BFS>LIB Naked>MMT>Help>HDN>MTB>YS>LIB (PS)>PPM

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #53,795 of 136,190

Hey RUMAY408 : I only listen to music on CDs & a few ( very few) vinyl LPs.  I have both the mono & stereo remastered Beatles albums.  I can understand why you mention being torn between Rubber Soul & Abbey Road : to begin with, they are both excellent albums/songs but they also happen to be the two best produced stereo albums in The Beatles' catalog.  As you probably already know up until the White Album, the Beatles music was recorded in mono & then converted to stereo.  When RS was converted to stereo George Martin didn't like the final product and so took it upon himself to rework the stereo version on his own.  When EMI remastered the albums (2009 version) RS is the only album that the engineers did go to the original tapes but rather they used George Martin's original stereo conversion as a basis for the remaster.  If you listen to RS closely it sounds better than Revolver, Pepper, Mystery Tour & even the White Album stereo versions as a whole.  The only other stereo album to sound somewhat better is Abbey Road (I don't personally like Phil Spector's production of Let it be; I prefer the 2004 Let it be … Naked version so I don't count it with the other albums in the catalog which of course were all produced by George Martin).  My favourite Beatles albums in order : WA, RS, AR, REV., MMT, SP & LIBNaked followed by the Past Masters.  Never get tired of listening to this band. 
beerchug.gif

The naked version of Let It Be on vinyl is so much better than the Phil Spector version I'm in total agreement with that.

My order Beatles catalog RS>AR>WA>SP>REV>Singles 2nd>Singles 1st>BFS>LIB Naked>MMT>Help>HDN>MTB>YS>LIB (PS)>PPM

+1 on your order, I mean it's the bloody Beatles so how can any fan of their music argue with another fan about which one they like better.  Thumbs up to this post RUMAY408 !

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #53,796 of 136,190
After listening to a couple of tracks from both albums I can tell that with Pearlman playing has a bit more soul. I see him having a bit more upper body movement while playing and taking short gaps between sets of notes to reset or transition. His bow technique has less control from the playing style and it can be heard through double strings and choppy segments. On the other hand Grumiaux is very technical and accurate but somewhat cold. A very postured like style of playing.

Perlman's mastering isn't as well done as the other as well but both are quite enjoyable in their own way. Hilary Hahn benefits from the best production imo but her recording is quite modern (digital?) in relative to the other two.

Cheers!

Edit, after more listening I prefer Pearlman's playing as well.
Soundsgoodtome : That is an excellent Bach musical piece.  Have you listened to the versions by Itzhak Pearlman & Arthur Grumiaux ?  Pearlman's version has been bashed by critics & I can't understand why (probably due to the fact that I'm not a musical expert/critic).  They are both beautifully played; I would deem Grumiaux's version as more technical & Pearlman's version as being more from the heart which is what I generally prefer in music.  Good choice Soundsgoodtome if I may say so.

And now this album: Torelli Concertos

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #53,798 of 136,190

AND........................

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #53,803 of 136,190
Been browsing Circus-P's second YouTube channel dedicated mostly to cover songs after discovering it recently. Have not heard the original of this one, but wow how disgusting the lyrics are. I don't have offspring but this songs makes me able to sympathize somewhat with parents who are concerned about what kind of music their teenage girls are listening to. I don't typically pay any heed to lyrics, but in this case they were very difficult to ignore and impossible to forgive. It feels particularly wrong to hear Luka singing it, but I do like the artwork and actually like that I don't like the song, so I would actually pay for it were it available for purchase although that is likely to never happen being that it's a cover.

Now enjoying this free track off of Bandcamp. Well I paid for it, but aside with the semantics. Nice to see female producers in this genre and she made the artwork herself as well!

DariaP - High Steps
https://vocallective.bandcamp.com/track/high-steps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back