What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #53,822 of 136,192
Oh sweet lord.... Old stereo recording on headphones.....do not want.

It's "my sweet lord" lol
(Arrogant sniff)

[ use best nerd voice
I actually listened to both
I prefer the stereo but it's a little heavy
On the reverb [/nerd voice]

The earlier stuff is better on mono
George meant it that way
Sigh.... Still,like side 2 of abbey road better than anything

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #53,823 of 136,192
It's "my sweet lord" lol
(Arrogant sniff)

[ use best nerd voice

George meant it that way

Haha, well I mean back then they really over did the stereo up until the 80s.
I think the Sony Walkman changed things, much like the iPod did.
And everyone used speakers back then so it was "alright" I still don't even like the album on speakers.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #53,826 of 136,192

Oh sweet lord.... Old stereo recording on headphones.....do not want.

It's "my sweet lord" lol
(Arrogant sniff)

[ use best nerd voice

George meant it that way

It's "my sweet lord" lol
(Arrogant sniff)

[ use best nerd voice

George meant it that way

Haha, well I mean back then they really over did the stereo up until the 80s.
I think the Sony Walkman changed things, much like the iPod did.
And everyone used speakers back then so it was "alright" I still don't even like the album on speakers.

Up until the White Album the Beatles recorded on two tracks originally & eventually four tracks by the time they recorded Rubber Soul & always in mono because stereo was something that was just coming out & stereo record players were a new thing also meaning most people didn't have one.  It's like when HD came out for television.  The EMI recording engineers under George Martin's supervision spent most of their time working on polishing up/editing the mono version of the Beatles' recordings including the Beatles themselves as time went on & just a few hours converting the mono version into stereo* (*as I indicated at the beginning, they did not record in stereo "first" up until the White Album).  Another thing to remember about these recordings is that the bass & drums were not as pronounced as they are nowadays because with most "cheap" record players back then, too much bass would make the record player's arm/needle jump/skip.  It was a whole different era & it wasn't just the Beatles but most popular artists up until the mid to late sixties all recorded in mono. BTW Rubber Soul doesn't sound "old" on w/HPs the reason being George Martin himself reworked the stereo conversion (he didn't like the original one done by the engineers) & for the 2009 remastered albums the present day engineers used George Martin's "reworked stereo conversion" as opposed to the master tapes.  The album sounds fantastic even by today's standards.  Just MHO.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #53,827 of 136,192
I have to agree that as far as Beatles albums go, Rubber Soul has the best stereo sound. I'm usually annoyed by the extreme left/extreme right presentation of their stereo releases, but Rubber Soul is a lot easier to listen to. I grew up in an era without mono, so I would rather have a decent stereo master than a top-notch mono master. It just sounds more realistic to my ears.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #53,829 of 136,192
I have to agree that as far as Beatles albums go, Rubber Soul has the best stereo sound. I'm usually annoyed by the extreme left/extreme right presentation of their stereo releases, but Rubber Soul is a lot easier to listen to. I grew up in an era without mono, so I would rather have a decent stereo master than a top-notch mono master. It just sounds more realistic to my ears.
CCR is usually the same way... I can live with it. :) it just confuses your brain since you should be able to hear all the sounds on both ears. I've gotten past that... One song that has extreme left and right stereo from them? Suzie Q. (or is it Susie Q?) listen to that. All of the instruments and the vocals are either on one side or the other.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #53,830 of 136,192

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #53,832 of 136,192
CCR is usually the same way... I can live with it.
smily_headphones1.gif
it just confuses your brain since you should be able to hear all the sounds on both ears. I've gotten past that... One song that has extreme left and right stereo from them? Suzie Q. (or is it Susie Q?) listen to that. All of the instruments and the vocals are either on one side or the other.

i grew up listening to these records on the cheapest of portable
record players on the scratchiest of old records there was no stereo
i was in college when the walkman became popular and it was a big change
sigh

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #53,833 of 136,192
 My cassettes,cd's,mp3's and now I found a Technics phono player from the late 70's early 80's and new cartridge on it and started buying new and used LP's. I used to listen to them with my parent in the early 80's and found some of those Elton John,Rod Stewart,CCR,Mott The Hoople,and Black Sabbath. I listen now and it is a big ear opener and the sounds you miss or the cd's cut out it's amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back