What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 8, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #52,862 of 137,774

71mWhnbZlBL._SL1045_.jpg

That album is so good that everyone should have it tattooed on their arm at birth! That is one of the best albums ever made! It doesn't get any better than that!

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #52,863 of 137,774
Global_Underground_024:_Reykjavik

Can any mid 00s prog house/trance/breaks fiends please recommend a mix (CD, John Digweed Kiss100 show, anything) that sounds on a similar tip to the first five tunes on disc 1 please?

Involver is I suppose the obvious answer but Phil K's Balance 004 breaks mix is something similar (and very good too!) that is the kind of thing I am (also) in search of. :)

Edit: Having trouble embedding images via URL, lol.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #52,866 of 137,774
Global_Underground_024:_Reykjavik

Can any mid 00s prog house/trance/breaks fiends please recommend a mix (CD, John Digweed Kiss100 show, anything) that sounds on a similar tip to the first five tunes on disc 1 please?

Involver is I suppose the obvious answer but Phil K's Balance 004 breaks mix is something similar (and very good too!) that is the kind of thing I am (also) in search of.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Having trouble embedding images via URL, lol.

CD1 of GU024 is the (mostly) ambient one, right? You could possibly search for some of Nick Warren's Renaissance mixes. I think a couple of them have first discs that sound similar. John Digweed also has a live album with an ambient disc, though I can't recall which one (try checking discogs and cross-ref with youtube). Other than that, maybe Bedrock's old Layered Sounds offerings, or some of DMC's Back To Mine series.

Finding something similar to Phil K's Breakbeat mix for Balance will prove harder. I don't think there are any modern breakbeat mixes that sound like that one. The closest you can get are probably the old Bedrock Breaks series with offerings from DJ Hype and Meat Katie, but even those are a far cry from Phil K's style. I saw Phil live in Oz a few times at the turn of the millennium, and no one can mix breaks like he does. Closest would be Luke Chable, but I don't think he's ever done a pure breaks mix on CD before. One possibility might be the Renaissance Presents The Therapy Sessions Volumes 1 & 2, featuring Dave Seaman, Phil K (Vol 1) & Luke Chable (Vol 2).

The old progressive house/breaks style is basically dead. The mixers that championed it have moved on to different sounds, for better or worse. All the new stuff that gets classified as "progressive" is basically cheesy trance played at slightly reduced bpm. There's none of the layering or texture or seamlessness you'd find in old prog.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #52,874 of 137,774
WOW! A perfect album

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #52,875 of 137,774

180 Gram Vinyl.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back