What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #52,847 of 137,768

Led Zeppelin II (HDtracks Remaster)

Not too impressed with the so called remastering but that's just initial impressions on speakers. I'm now wondering if I should wait on the other 2 albums even though it's 10% off is going to end soon...
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #52,848 of 137,768

Led Zeppelin II (HDtracks Remaster)

Not too impressed with the so called remastering but that's just initial impressions on speakers. I'm now wondering if I should wait on the other 2 albums even though it's 10% off is going to end soon...
confused_face(1).gif

I am not sure they have any good masters to pull from, every version I have heard, and I am a huge Zep fan so I own most every version released, has the same sound quality issues, they are harsh and distorted. I think the bands idea at the time was "turn it up loud and you won't notice how poorly these were recorded".

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #52,849 of 137,768

I am not sure they have any good masters to pull from, every version I have heard, and I am a huge Zep fan so I own most every version released, has the same sound quality issues, they are harsh and distorted. I think the bands idea at the time was "turn it up loud and you won't notice how poorly these were recorded".

To be honest I don't have the original version to compare them to. I've always heard them either through radio or lossy.. this is my actual first Zep album I've purchased. For all I know it could leaps above the older versions but yes on distortions. I do notice that some of the tracks are quieter than what I've heard before so maybe in a sense of overall volume they've turned it down a bit... which makes it a bit more weird because there's still clipping.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #52,850 of 137,768
There is a ton of Zeppelin hype right now, but it has not been established whether these new Zep digital releases are any better than the first Zeppelin digital releases from the 80s on CD, which are still the gold standard until proven otherwise.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #52,851 of 137,768

... which makes it a bit more weird because there's still clipping.

Curious which songs and where you see (or hear) clipping on this? They definitely gave the music a little headroom and didn't push the peaks to the max, which is a refreshing change of pace in this modern era.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #52,852 of 137,768

Curious which songs and where you see (or hear) clipping on this? They definitely gave the music a little headroom and didn't push the peaks to the max, which is a refreshing change of pace in this modern era.

I'll give a close listen again this weekend or early next week on the headphones. Maybe it's more distortion than clipping but I could've sworn I heard it.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #52,853 of 137,768

To be honest I don't have the original version to compare them to. I've always heard them either through radio or lossy.. this is my actual first Zep album I've purchased. For all I know it could leaps above the older versions but yes on distortions. I do notice that some of the tracks are quieter than what I've heard before so maybe in a sense of overall volume they've turned it down a bit... which makes it a bit more weird because there's still clipping.

Agreed, as is the case with every version I have heard, some songs are just full of clipping even on the masters.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #52,854 of 137,768
oh gosh.. The album cover of my nightmares that I just saw a few weeks ago in another thread... And I'm listening to this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjigO-gSb2Y Sugar daddy, by Fleetwood Mac while getting excited for the tour they are doing! ^.^ and its even coming to Minnesota, so I can go!! :D
rainbow_dash_i_wub_woo_face_by_flowerjewel-d3a1g2k.png

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #52,857 of 137,768
61%2Bg6tcOc-L.jpg

81Zt1sgUDtL._SL1500_.jpg

Pink Floyd-Animals

41UBWfLDAZL.jpg

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #52,858 of 137,768

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (1977) (2014)

Blu-ray disc ripped to 96-24 FLAC. Unbelievable!!!!! I always thought the album never sounded as good as it should sound. The songs are legendary, but the sound quality was not. Now I'm going to go deaf, because it finally sounds the way it should sound! I just want to play it LOUD!

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #52,860 of 137,768
Yes, there are Blu-ray audio-only discs now! You have to try them!

The master is still the key, but Blu-ray audio-only discs are very promising and some of the ones I've heard so far are just great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back