Jacques GallotSuite in F sharp minor
Pascal Monteilhet, lute

Joseph HaydnDivertimento a otto voci (no. 4) in G major, Hob. X:4
Ricercar Consort/Philippe Pierlot

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #49,775 of 135,996
MI0001726368.jpg

24/96 kHz

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #49,777 of 135,996

I've never seen a turntable like that. Very interesting.

At some level, I really do miss the old technology. But I don't miss buying records over and over again. On the other hand, who knows, in another decade there may yet be some new revolution in recording tech that forces us to re-buy all of this music yet again, hah.

That turntable seems to employ a lot of same design principles as mine, except mine doesn't have linear tracking. Not the prettiest of tables, but I reckon it sounds sublime.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any major innovations that have been made regarding recording technology in the past three decades. In the world of digital I guess there's DSD, but that's about it. Production techniques have certainly taken several leaps forward, but as far as the actual recording process of sound waves goes, a lot of the best-sounding recordings today are still made using vintage gear from nearly half a century ago. In the end the gear doesn't even matter that much; it's how you use it. And in that respect we've gone backwards quite a bit in many ways. Engineers in the 50s, 60s and 70s knew what they were doing and how to get good sound. Of course not everyone, but those who earned their pay. Nowadays just about anyone can call themselves an engineer, but most people lack the knowledge and experience required to know what the hell they are doing. Today it is far too common to just start recording without taking the time to set up everything properly so that you capture exactly the sound you want, and then spend a small eternity trying to fix everything after it has already been recorded.

Recording is an art in itself, and most young people working in the business today seem to lack the passion for their craft that I feel an audio engineer should have to be truly great. Thankfully through shows like Pensado's Place pros are trying to pass down their knowledge and tricks to the next generations of enthusiastic up-and-coming audio engineers and producers. Still, the industry has changed a lot, and instead of learning the basics working under a master as an apprentice in a studio, most people today are either completely self-taught (nothing wrong with that, but it takes true dedication and a whole lot to research) or fresh out of school with virtually zero actual experience as internships are such a rarity nowadays as I mentioned. Many engineers are also writing books to ensure learned techniques don't get lost, which is quite vital.

Listening to:

shanebro - Inordinate Desire
https://shanebro.bandcamp.com/album/inordinate-desire (FREE!)

Dexter Britain - The Score (Part One)
https://dexterbritain.bandcamp.com/album/the-score-part-one (FREE!)

Now time for this one. This is a free release as well.

Sergey Alekseev - It's Time to Love EP
http://soundcloud.com/nuevadigital/sets/nd084-sergey-alekseev-its-time

So good.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #49,781 of 135,996

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #49,782 of 135,996

Hard Working Americans - Hard Working Americans (2014)

My favorite new release of 2014 so far...

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #49,785 of 135,996
This album is a recent discovery, a real hidden gem. Sounds great with great playing. Muthspiel is without doubt one of my favorite players now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back