What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #48,931 of 136,582

You mean this?

It's in my Amazon cart right now...

palmfish, I've seen many of your posts throughout these pages and I respect all what I've seen. Even if you don't end up loving Bruckner, there's no way you will fail to be moved by that recording. I don't listen to it often because it's an undertaking that I have to be ready for. The problem is I'm going to listen to that right now because I know that within a couple of minutes, I'll not be able to stop listening! It's a performance to cherish that I hope will lead you to investigate Celibidache himself, such a unique enigma of a man (if you haven't already done).

Here's a couple of sweeteners to get you started: http://www.metafilter.com/45866/What-I-learned-from-Sergiu-Celibidache

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #48,932 of 136,582

You're kidding, right?!?! Never heard of Supertramp?!?!

Come on....OK, you're pulling our legs....

We're talking about Supertramp!!!!!

OK, deep breath...lol.     It's hard to pick favorites, but if I had to rank them in order, it would be...

1. Even in the Quietest Moments
2. Crime of the Century
3. Breakfast in America
4. Crisis, What Crisis

They really are hard to rank because each has their moments of greatness, but take each album as a whole, and that's where I rank them.

I have heard the name and seen the album - "breakfast in america" on this thread a good few times. I always assumed it was supergrass and i don't really like the whole "brit pop" thing but now i realize my mistake. They must of been far more popular in the states because they are not really talked about over here. I assume though that when i get the albums i will recognize some of the songs. 

but yea i have been a huge prog-rock fan for at least 11 years and have not listened or heard much about supergrass! How has this happened?? seriously every time their name came up i thought - "oh that Brit pop band from the 90's - AVOID" 
eek.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #48,933 of 136,582

Congrats! I knew you would like it!

I have never listened to supertramp are they good? Which albums would you recommend. I though they were a 90's band but then realized that i was thinking of supergrass. 
blink.gif

A 70's prog rock  band that i don't know about? how did that happen? Shocked 
eek.gif
eek.gif

Breakfast in America and Crime of the Century are my two favorite albums of theirs. I got to see them with front row seats once. We camped out in front of the ticket office for a week to get them. Then we went to the show in tuxedos and had plastic champagne glasses and toasted the band. They loved it! We had most of the solos right in front of us.

Good times!

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #48,935 of 136,582
[COLOR=222222]palmfish, I've seen many of your posts throughout these pages and I respect all what I've seen. Even if you don't end up loving Bruckner, there's no way you will fail to be moved by that recording. I don't listen to it often because it's an undertaking that I have to be ready for. The problem is I'm going to listen to that right now because I know that within a couple of minutes, I'll not be able to stop listening! It's a performance to cherish that I hope will lead you to investigate Celibidache himself, such a unique enigma of a man (if you haven't already done).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Here's a couple of sweeteners to get you started: [/COLOR][COLOR=1155CC]http://www.metafilter.com/45866/What-I-learned-from-Sergiu-Celibidache[/COLOR]

Thank you amigomat, that's very thoughtful of you to say.

I did quite a bit of reading up on Bruckner a few months ago and tried to get through his 5th symphony but I just couldn't get there. For some reason I had it in my mind that his music would be somewhat Wagnerian, but that wasn't the case at all. I'm getting from you that his works are not easy to listen to, so maybe I will wait until I am in a state of mind to digest.

I went ahead and ordered the 5th and 9th you recommended. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #48,936 of 136,582
I have heard the name and seen the album - "breakfast in america" on this thread a good few times. I always assumed it was supergrass and i don't really like the whole "brit pop" thing but now i realize my mistake. They must of been far more popular in the states because they are not really talked about over here. I assume though that when i get the albums i will recognize some of the songs. 

but yea i have been a huge prog-rock fan for at least 11 years and have not listened or heard much about supergrass! How has this happened?? seriously every time their name came up i thought - "oh that Brit pop band from the 90's - AVOID" :eek:

BTW, I was just giving you a hard time. They were "a brit pop band" from the 70's but they made it big in the US around 78 or 79. I'm not surprised they were relatively unknown in your neck of the woods since they seemed to be touring North America or recording pretty much non-stop during their hey day.

I saw them in concert twice. Montreal in 79 and Los Angeles in 82

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #48,938 of 136,582

I have tried to listen to Bruckner in the past but just can't get into his work.

With your glowing recommendation, I'll try this version of the 5th. Thanks!

Well, another recording to get you into Bruckner has to be Celibidache's monumental live 9th with the Munich Philharmonic. It's quite an experience to go through with his expansively broad tempos, but it is a mediation in the most beautiful sense and he carves every note with a sustained sense of dignified power. If that doesn't get you, I don't know what will with Bruckner!

Much the same with me and Bruckner. I have tried several times - and it was still a no go. I am not so sure about Sinopoli, but Celibidache really should be the one to
convience me. 

There is another important influence on Bruckner's music most of us have not experienced live - yet. A good friend of mine, the principal flutist in our symphonic orchestra, put it simply: "The moment you walk into St. Florian church, where Bruckner passed many years as organist, should tell you much about his music being as it is ..."

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #48,940 of 136,582
BTW, I was just giving you a hard time. They were "a brit pop band" from the 70's but they made it big in the US around 78 or 79. I'm not surprised they were relatively unknown in your neck of the woods since they seemed to be touring North America or recording pretty much non-stop during their hey day.

I saw them in concert twice. Montreal in 79 and Los Angeles in 82

Also, for younger prog listeners who weren't old enough to listen to music in the late 70's (perhaps weren't even born), it might be fairly easy to miss them.  As a 60's baby having heard plenty of Supertramp on the radio, I always thought of them as classic rock.

I find these kinds of discussions interesting, even though I'm not a Supertramp fan per se (sorry
wink_face.gif
). Doing a quick search for "best prog rock" bands, here are the first three lists I found under a reader's poll on Rolling Stone:

1. Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull 2: Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd 3: Foxtrot by Genesis 4: Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer 5: Close to the Edge

1 genesis "foxtrot" 2 king crimson "in the court of the crimson king" 3 yes "close to the edge" 4 pink floyd "meddle" 5 genesis "selling england by the pound" 6 king crimson "red" 7 van der graaf "pawn hearts" 8 focus "hamburger concerto" 9 yes "fragile" 10 camel "moonmadnessy Yes 6: Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson 7: A Farewell to Kings by Rush 8: Animals by Pink Floyd 9: Selling England by the Pound by Genesis 10: Minstrel in the Gallery by Jethro Tull

1) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis 2) Pawn Hearts - Van Der Graaf Generator 3) Red - King Crimson 4) Close To The Edge - Yes 5) Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer 6) Octopus - Gentle Giant 7) Meddle - Pink Floyd 8) Aqualung - Jethro Tull 9) Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield 10) Moonmadness - Camel

So, I can see why it might be easy to miss ST on a survey of "must have prog". I'm sure I would miss some great early 60's rock just prior to my time on the planet, even though I enjoy early 60's rock.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #48,944 of 136,582
Much the same with me and Bruckner. I have tried several times - and it was still a no go. I am not so sure about Sinopoli, but Celibidache really should be the one to
convience me. 

There is another important influence on Bruckner's music most of us have not experienced live - yet. A good friend of mine, the principal flutist in our symphonic orchestra, put it simply: "The moment you walk into St. Florian church, where Bruckner passed many years as organist, should tell you much about his music being as it is ..."
Absolutely. He wrote using the sections of the orchestra as 'blocks' of sound, much like changing registrations on an organ.

I think Bruckner originally got me because I'm a trumpet player and the sonority of the brass sounds in his works is something to behold. I've also found a certain clarity and simplicity in his music that, despite its length, is easy to follow and grasp.

In my time playing in orchestras, I've been lucky enough to play in the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th symphonies. I think the 9th is my favourite. It certainly transcends towards the ether more than the others!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back