What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #48,946 of 136,581
BTW, I was just giving you a hard time. They were "a brit pop band" from the 70's but they made it big in the US around 78 or 79. I'm not surprised they were relatively unknown in your neck of the woods since they seemed to be touring North America or recording pretty much non-stop during their hey day.

I saw them in concert twice. Montreal in 79 and Los Angeles in 82

When i said "Brit pop" i meant that i confused Supertramp for Supergrass. Supergrass were a 90's "brit pop" band. Then when i looked up supertramp i realized my mistake seeing that they were a 70's prog-band. I probably didn't explain myself properly. But i look forward to listening - thanks for posting. I am in my 20's so i was not around to hear those bands from the 70's but i do love prog and its nice to be able to delve in again. 
beerchug.gif

Also, for younger prog listeners who weren't old enough to listen to music in the late 70's (perhaps weren't even born), it might be fairly easy to miss them.  As a 60's baby having heard plenty of Supertramp on the radio, I always thought of them as classic rock.

I find these kinds of discussions interesting, even though I'm not a Supertramp fan per se (sorry
wink_face.gif
). Doing a quick search for "best prog rock" bands, here are the first three lists I found under a reader's poll on Rolling Stone:

1. Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull 2: Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd 3: Foxtrot by Genesis 4: Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer 5: Close to the Edge

1 genesis "foxtrot" 2 king crimson "in the court of the crimson king" 3 yes "close to the edge" 4 pink floyd "meddle" 5 genesis "selling england by the pound" 6 king crimson "red" 7 van der graaf "pawn hearts" 8 focus "hamburger concerto" 9 yes "fragile" 10 camel "moonmadnessy Yes 6: Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson 7: A Farewell to Kings by Rush 8: Animals by Pink Floyd 9: Selling England by the Pound by Genesis 10: Minstrel in the Gallery by Jethro Tull

1) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis 2) Pawn Hearts - Van Der Graaf Generator 3) Red - King Crimson 4) Close To The Edge - Yes 5) Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer 6) Octopus - Gentle Giant 7) Meddle - Pink Floyd 8) Aqualung - Jethro Tull 9) Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield 10) Moonmadness - Camel

So, I can see why it might be easy to miss ST on a survey of "must have prog". I'm sure I would miss some great early 60's rock just prior to my time on the planet, even though I enjoy early 60's rock.

I put King crimson - "larks tongues in aspic"over any of those.  just my 2 cents

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #48,947 of 136,581
  When i said "Brit pop" i meant that i confused Supertramp for Supergrass. Supergrass were a 90's "brit pop" band. Then when i looked up supertramp i realized my mistake seeing that they were a 70's prog-band. I probably didn't explain myself properly. But i look forward to listening - thanks for posting. I am in my 20's so i was not around to hear those bands from the 70's but i do love prog and its nice to be able to delve in again. 
beerchug.gif

I put King crimson - "larks tongues in aspic"over any of those.  just my 2 cents

Good to know as I'm just delving into King Crimson. I have In the Court of the Crimson King and Red so far. Was thinking of picking up Larks Tongue in Aspic or In the Wake of Poseidon next. Both good moves?

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #48,948 of 136,581
Anne-Sophie Mutter, Trondheim Soloists - Vivaldi : The Four Seasons

NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HD600.

Just a modest set-up, but the recording itself is quite stunning.  One of my better purchases late last year

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #48,949 of 136,581
  You should really try Bruckner's 5th with Sinopoli and the Dresden Staatskapelle.  It really is one of the best recordings of anything, in my opinion.  I love Bruckner and this stands out.

It's live and the precision, balance and flow of this piece is displayed in as near to a perfect way as I can imagine.

I have lots of Bruckner, Celibidache, Karajan... but will give this one a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #48,950 of 136,581
I have lots of Bruckner, Celibidache, Karajan... but will give this one a try. Thanks for the recommendation.
My pleasure. What I love about it is its lack of affectation. The clarity of the score is presented so vividly and given it's a live performance, the Dresden Staatskapelle play with such refinement and accuracy. It's also great to hear a truly authentic and dark Germanic orchestral sound. The brass in particular lack the edginess that can plague the British and American orchestras in repertoire like this. These guys blend as a homogenous whole, something that really lends itself to Bruckner's scoring, in my opinion. Enjoy!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #48,951 of 136,581
  Good to know as I'm just delving into King Crimson. I have In the Court of the Crimson King and Red so far. Was thinking of picking up Larks Tongue in Aspic or In the Wake of Poseidon next. Both good moves?

For those "entering" prog music - it is not "spoken in English only"- check Premiata Forneria Marconi from Italy. I posted one of their recent vids just a few posts back in this thread.

Regarding KC, both of the above are good moves. My personal favourite is Starless and Bible Black http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starless_and_Bible_Black .

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #48,952 of 136,581
Joseph HaydnString Quartets from Op. 64-- No. 1 in C major, No. 2 in B minor and No. 3 in B flat major
Quatuor Mosaïques

Robert Johnson & William LawesOrpheus I Am (an idealized masque)
Barbara Borden, soprano
David Cordier, countertenor
John Potter, tenor
Harry van der Kamp, bass
Tragicomedia/Stephen Stubbs

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #48,953 of 136,581

Also, for younger prog listeners who weren't old enough to listen to music in the late 70's (perhaps weren't even born), it might be fairly easy to miss them.  As a 60's baby having heard plenty of Supertramp on the radio, I always thought of them as classic rock.

I find these kinds of discussions interesting, even though I'm not a Supertramp fan per se (sorry
wink_face.gif
). Doing a quick search for "best prog rock" bands, here are the first three lists I found under a reader's poll on Rolling Stone:

1. Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull 2: Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd 3: Foxtrot by Genesis 4: Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer 5: Close to the Edge

1 genesis "foxtrot" 2 king crimson "in the court of the crimson king" 3 yes "close to the edge" 4 pink floyd "meddle" 5 genesis "selling england by the pound" 6 king crimson "red" 7 van der graaf "pawn hearts" 8 focus "hamburger concerto" 9 yes "fragile" 10 camel "moonmadnessy Yes 6: Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson 7: A Farewell to Kings by Rush 8: Animals by Pink Floyd 9: Selling England by the Pound by Genesis 10: Minstrel in the Gallery by Jethro Tull

1) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis 2) Pawn Hearts - Van Der Graaf Generator 3) Red - King Crimson 4) Close To The Edge - Yes 5) Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer 6) Octopus - Gentle Giant 7) Meddle - Pink Floyd 8) Aqualung - Jethro Tull 9) Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield 10) Moonmadness - Camel

So, I can see why it might be easy to miss ST on a survey of "must have prog". I'm sure I would miss some great early 60's rock just prior to my time on the planet, even though I enjoy early 60's rock.

beerchug.gif

I actually used the term "brit pop" half-jokingly because, like markm1 above, I also never thought of Supertramp as "Prog Rock." I think they are "Regular Rock" whatever that is. And it so happens that King Crimson passed me by completely - Never listened to them until a couple years ago.

Also magiccabbage, your posts stand out here for their intelligence and taste and honestly, I assumed you were older. Being in your 20's, I guess I can see now how you missed them. Plus I suppose I'm older than I think.

I grew up in Montreal in the 70's and early 80's and Supertramp were just HUGE back then - they filled 15,000+ seat stadiums wherever they performed. In my mind, they were right up there with Queen, Genesis, Aerosmith, Rush, etc. Tell me you've heard of them...please!!!!
wink.gif

Well, in 30 years, maybe somebody will tell you they've never heard of Justin Beiber...lol.

Seriously, I was being overly dramatic mostly for humorous effect, so I hope you weren't too offended.

Oh, and here's an album for today...

DJ Cheb I Sabbah - Shri Durga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKpqlkMuPs

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #48,957 of 136,581

I actually used the term "brit pop" half-jokingly because, like markm1 above, I also never thought of Supertramp as "Prog Rock." I think they are "Regular Rock" whatever that is. And it so happens that King Crimson passed me by completely - Never listened to them until a couple years ago.

Also magiccabbage, your posts stand out here for their intelligence and taste and honestly, I assumed you were older. Being in your 20's, I guess I can see now how you missed them. Plus I suppose I'm older than I think.

I grew up in Montreal in the 70's and early 80's and Supertramp were just HUGE back then - they filled 15,000+ seat stadiums wherever they performed. In my mind, they were right up there with Queen, Genesis, Aerosmith, Rush, etc. Tell me you've heard of them...please!!!!
wink.gif

Well, in 30 years, maybe somebody will tell you they've never heard of Justin Beiber...lol.

Seriously, I was being overly dramatic mostly for humorous effect, so I hope you weren't too offended.

Oh, and here's an album for today...

DJ Cheb I Sabbah - Shri Durga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKpqlkMuPs

Oh no worries at all man. No offense taken.
biggrin.gif
   But ¬

WAIT A MINUTE - HOLD ON THERE. WHAT WAS I THINKING. I do know them - i recognize these songs from the radio but i never knew it was supertramp. I had no idea. 

Of course everybody must know these 2 tracks. Phew - im off  the hook, well kind of 
wink.gif

Im off into town to get some of this stuff! thanks guys. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #48,959 of 136,581
Crime of the Century - Supertramp 

Now they're planning the crime of the century
Well what will it be? 

Read all about their schemes and adventuring
It's well worth a fee
So roll up and see

And they rape the universe
How they've gone from bad to worse

Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory? 
Rip off the masks and let see.
But that's no right - oh no, what's the story? 

There's you and there's me
That can't be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back