What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #45,061 of 137,777

[size=1.6em] Synchronicity - The Police [/size]

[1983 / 2003]

[size=12.571428298950195px] The album's title was inspired by Arthur Koestler's The Roots of Coincidence, which mentions Carl Jung's theory of synchronicity.Sting was an avid reader of Koestler, and also named Ghost in the Machine after one of his works.[/size]

[size=12.571428298950195px] The album marked a significant reduction in the reggae influences that were a part of the band's first four records, instead featuring production-heavy textures and liberal use of synthesizers that, at times, drove entire songs ("Synchronicity I," "Wrapped Around Your Finger"). The influence of world music can also be heard in songs such as "Tea in the Sahara" and "Walking in Your Footsteps."[/size]

[size=12.571428298950195px] As with their prior album, the basic tracks for Synchronicity were recorded at AIR StudiosMontserrat. The three band members recorded their parts in separate rooms: Stewart Copeland with his drums in the dining room, Sting in the control room and Andy Summers in the actual studio. According to co-producer Hugh Padgham this was done for two reasons: to obtain the best sound for each instrument and "for social reasons."[1] Padgham also stated that subsequent overdubs were done with only one member in the studio at a time.[/size]

[size=12.571428298950195px] During the recording of "Every Breath You Take," Sting and Copeland came to blows with each other, and Padgham nearly quit the project.[/size]

[size=12.571428298950195px]  [/size]

[size=12.571428298950195px]
[/size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #45,062 of 137,777

If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #45,063 of 137,777
Sep 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #45,065 of 137,777
Quote:

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

That banjo, man.
smily_headphones1.gif

You know, in certain parts of London you'd get your face punched in if you admitted to listening to that.

Streaming this:

Slightly underwhelmed.
I don't know if they're running out of ideas or what it is, but apart from a few kicking tracks it's not quite Factory Floor as I used to know them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #45,066 of 137,777
Quote:

You know, in certain parts of London you'd get your face punched in if you admitted to listening to that.

I can't understand the hype surrounding Mumford & Sons. They only thing I can figure out is that it's because they are English but basically playing Americana. I guess that increases the difficulty level or something.

If I want to hear that type of music, I'd much rather head straight to the source and listen to Old Crow Medicine Show, who are a far superior band in my opinion. I guess some people think it's just cooler to be an English band playing Americana than it is to be an American band playing Americana. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #45,067 of 137,777

Takayoshi Ohmura - Emotions In Motion

Perhaps of of my favorite guitarists out there. He has a new album out that I have yet to find (his stuff is really difficult since he is much more of an underground Japanese artist). I feel he deserves much more attention then he gets. He really is an amazing musician. This album in particular, in comparison to his first album, really does demonstrate how much he has grown musically. Despite some technical flaws of the album (some tracks, such as Distant Thunder, suffer from severe clipping and horrible mastering), the album is really marvelous and I recommend it to those who love the sound of the Stratocaster and to those who like rock in general. The music is good and I enjoy it. : - )

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #45,068 of 137,777
Quote:

I can't understand the hype surrounding Mumford & Sons. They only thing I can figure out is that it's because they are English but basically playing Americana. I guess that increases the difficulty level or something.

If I want to hear that type of music, I'd much rather head straight to the source and listen to Old Crow Medicine Show, who are a far superior band in my opinion. I guess some people think it's just cooler to be an English band playing Americana than it is to be an American band playing Americana. 
rolleyes.gif

I don't really mind brits playing Americana (or Norwegian, Polish, Chinese etc. for that matter), it's just that they're so damn formulaic.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #45,069 of 137,777
I am enjoying some nice Norwegian music I DL'd from 2L. I have had the privilege of visiting Norway twice and I loved it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #45,070 of 137,777
I didn't really like Sigh No More, but Babel is a very good album. If you move past the singles, it's a varied and well-done album.

I listen to a lot of folk-rock, pure folk, and genres that Mumford and Sons are classified as in the U.S., from Avett Brothers to Indigo Girls to Neil Young to Decemberists to Delta Rae. That doesn't stop me from considering Mumford and Sons to be a good band.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #45,071 of 137,777
post #45069 of 45074

9/2/13 at 3:44pm

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d7/100x100px-LS-d7b6c147_whiterabbit.png[/img]
  1. limpidglitch
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1377816823.png
  4. offline
  1. 2,639 Posts. Joined 10/2008
  2. Location: Bergen, Norway

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

That banjo, man. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I got ya back, Destroysall ; Let's get bloodied then, says I ;')

// PUT 'Em Up ~

j/k

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #45,073 of 137,777

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (1967)

I really like this album. There are some issues with it, however. Since it's from 1967, it is right from the era when people weren't sure what to do with the concept of stereo. I haven't thoroughly researched it, but there are various mono vs. stereo versions and there were all kinds of issues going on with the actual engineering of the original record involving 8-track vs. 4-track recording and such.

I have the European CD from 1999 that has a bunch of bonus tracks. On the copy that I have, there is some weird stereo panning going on. I enjoy it when played through speakers, but the weird stereo panning may too much through headphones for some. Sometimes I use the "downmix channels to mono" DSP in foobar2000 to fold the recording down to pseudo-mono for headphone listening. For anyone who finds the stereo panning weird through headphones, this is a possible solution. Then again, it's a weird record anyway, so the weird stereo panning could just be considered a "feature." 
biggrin.gif
 Either way, a great record!

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #45,074 of 137,777
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

I respect and understand your take.  However, when I saw them live at The Ryman in Nashville, Old Crow Medicine Show actually came out and played with them for several songs including "Wagon Wheel." So OCMS respects them enough to play with them.  

Beatles and Stones played American music as well so more power to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back