What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #45,076 of 137,775

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #45,077 of 137,775
Quote:
I respect and understand your take.  However, when I saw them live at The Ryman in Nashville, Old Crow Medicine Show actually came out and played with them for several songs including "Wagon Wheel." So OCMS respects them enough to play with them.  

Beatles and Stones played American music as well so more power to them.

There's certainly nothing wrong with English bands playing American music. There is definitely a long tradition of that. I just don't think Mumford & Sons are particularly good at it. There are better bands in every bar in Texas.

I think they're only a mediocre Americana band at best. If they were from Nashville, they wouldn't even get noticed.

It's nice that Old Crow Medicine Show extended them a warm welcome, just as Muddy Waters did with the Stones.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #45,079 of 137,775
Quote:
They're just not good, period.  
blink.gif

Just my opinion, of course.  
biggrin.gif

I don't care for their musical genre. I have not listened to them long enough to decide if they are good musicians.

Banjo's are a happy instrument though. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #45,080 of 137,775
Quote:

I love love love Epica, and I knew about this recording, but I never thought to look on youtube for it. So thanks for sharing.

It is very good, but if I could have one complaint it would be the drumming. He was trying way too hard, and I would have prefered if he had just simply played everything the way it was on the studio albums. Some of his playing was just waaay to much. Chasing the Dragon gave me goosebumps just like always though.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #45,082 of 137,775
Quote:

I love love love Epica, and I knew about this recording, but I never thought to look on youtube for it. So thanks for sharing.

It is very good, but if I could have one complaint it would be the drumming. He was trying way too hard, and I would have prefered if he had just simply played everything the way it was on the studio albums. Some of his playing was just waaay to much. Chasing the Dragon gave me goosebumps just like always though.

You're welcome jason, glad you like it as much as I do
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #45,083 of 137,775
Quote:
I don't care for their musical genre. I have not listened to them long enough to decide if they are good musicians.

biggrin.gif

Same, I guess.  

And yes they are.  

I don't like Mumford though.  Despite their awards.  More power to them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #45,084 of 137,775
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Same, I guess.  

And yes they are.  

I don't like Mumford though.  Despite their awards.  More power to them.

Meanwhile back to a British band I love:

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #45,088 of 137,775
Quote:

I can't understand the hype surrounding Mumford & Sons. They only thing I can figure out is that it's because they are English but basically playing Americana. I guess that increases the difficulty level or something.

If I want to hear that type of music, I'd much rather head straight to the source and listen to Old Crow Medicine Show, who are a far superior band in my opinion. I guess some people think it's just cooler to be an English band playing Americana than it is to be an American band playing Americana. 
rolleyes.gif

Hmm, I wouldn't say I like them because they're popular. I like the music solely, not the reception they are receiving (good or bad).  I don't consider them a favorite of mine nor would I ever feel the need to attend a concert of theirs; bear in mind though that the folk genre and much of its sub-genres are something that I am still discovering myself.. On that note:  I will check out Old Crow Medicine Show, StratocasterMan. : - )
Quote:

I don't really mind brits playing Americana (or Norwegian, Polish, Chinese etc. for that matter), it's just that they're so damn formulaic.

I can somewhat agree on how formulaic they are, but I don't find that too distracting (for the most part). Of course none of my favorite tracks from Sigh No More are their singles anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back