What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #40,338 of 136,587
Quote:
This is the first time in as long as I can remember I've decided to just turn something off. 

I like some weird stuff but this is just...god awful. 

I can't get through one play, much less multiple plays to 'appreciate' it. 

I almost feel bad for hating a piece of music this much...but WHY?

I've never really liked MBV; they've got such a passionate following that you'd think there's something there worth the decades-long wait for this album. As much as I appreciate the value of the music and the effort it took to put out, I just can't get into any of it. I'm never absorbed in the music. Even Beck (or, dare I say it, Merzbow) can get catchy after awhile, but I don't see myself ever fully enjoying mbv the way others do.

I'm the same way about Mogwai (despite being really into GY!BE, Sigur Ros and the like), though, so there may just be something wrong with me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #40,339 of 136,587
Quote:
I've never really liked MBV; they've got such a passionate following that you'd think there's something there worth the decades-long wait for this album. As much as I appreciate the value of the music and the effort it took to put out, I just can't get into any of it. I'm never absorbed in the music. Even Beck (or, dare I say it, Merzbow) can get catchy after awhile, but I don't see myself ever fully enjoying mbv the way others do.

I'm the same way about Mogwai (despite being really into GY!BE, Sigur Ros and the like), though, so there may just be something wrong with me.

Nothing is wrong with you, I feel exactly the same way. I am with you on Mogwai, I have enjoyed a few pieces of their music over the years but their overall sound I have never been completely in love with, it is not the genre that I don't like it is just that "something" that doesn't do it.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #40,340 of 136,587
5099968263751_1500x1500_300dpi.170x170-75.jpg

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #40,342 of 136,587
8#Prince - Distorted Princess​

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #40,343 of 136,587
Aki Sirkesalo - Mullonikäväsua

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #40,345 of 136,587
Quote:

Surely it is an acquired taste. Loveless was not universally acclaimed upon its release, either. I think that m b v was always going to have massive expectations *because* of loveless, and how it is viewed...now. I think the new album is brilliant. I have listened to it, oh, 80 or 90 times, and it still isn't old. I can't remember the last time that has happened to me, if ever. My Bloody Valentine is one of those bands that are meant to be listened to at a very high volume. I would also give it a spin with some forward cans, like Grados. Magnifique!

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #40,347 of 136,587
This is what I am spinning right now. Also an acquired taste, especially side 3, but side 4 is quite lovely. Side 4 (tracks featuring Gilmour) shows the direction the band would go with Meddle and the more accessible later albums. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #40,348 of 136,587
Quote:

Sunn O))) Flight of the Behemoth

I give much love to Sunn O)))! I've not seen them referecned on Headfi very much.

Love, love me some good Drone. How about Earth's recent output? Ineteresting stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back