What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #40,366 of 137,281
Quote:
Did you know that every metalhead is required to like this and Braveheart. I don't know why, but I got the memo and, yes, I enjoy this soundtrack. First time listening on w/ a decent CD player with my HP's.

Thumbs' up.

And, yes, I've read LOTR.

No problem with either of those. Great music....Good background while you are reading too.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #40,367 of 137,281
Quote:

Getting ready, eh?  
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #40,377 of 137,281

review by Thom Jurek

Over the past decade, Steven Wilson's relationship with prog rock over has grown increasingly intimate. He previewed a killer new band on the live album Get All You Deserve -- woodwind/multi-instrumentalist Theo Travis, keyboardist Adam Holzman, session bass and stick player Nick Beggs, drummer Marco Minnemann, and guitarist Guthrie Govan -- put a diverse, sophisticated face on Wilson's 21st century brand of prog. The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories is their first studio outing. 

Wilson was also able to coax Alan Parsons out of semi-retirement to co-produce and engineer the effort, and he fully committed: the album's crystalline, detailed sound and spacious ambience reflect some of his best work behind the boards. The result is a collection of six new songs -- three over ten minutes in length -- that reflect the very best of what classic prog rock aspired to: skillfully written music with expertly arranged compositions of color, nuance, texture, dynamics, narrative, and artfulness played by a group of stellar musicians. The songs are based on short stories Wilson wrote or co-wrote with Hajo Mueller, which center around the supernatural -- though this is not actually a concept record. 

While the album begins with a warning sign --- the first four minutes of opener "Luminol" are a knotty, driving, near-fusion instrumental workout that gives way to a complex, beautifully wrought mini-suite that draws on sources such as Pink Floyd, early Genesis, and King Crimson -- the Mellotron was actually used on the latter's classic recordings. While "Drive Home" builds gradually with a near-majestic sweep of harmonic and lyric invention, it features wonderfully inventive guitar work by Govan. "The Holy Drinker" is a sprawling ride with excellent keyboards by Holzman, a smoking guest guitar spot by Parsons, and a dazzling soprano saxophone from Travis. It commences intensely with many angles simultaneously but never once loses its musicality.

"The Watchmaker"'s intro of lilting, layered, acoustic guitars takes on heft as the ensemble enters with furious bass and drum work, and a gorgeous flute solo by Travis. The increasing drama includes death metal riffing, syncopated vocal choruses, and a flood of strings that never overdo it. The title track is the set closer, a lush, straightforward number about an old man speaking to his long-dead sister. His loneliness and grief are heartbreaking in Wilson's vocal expression, before strings, Mellotron, winds, and rolling drums build to a final, dramatic conclusion. 

The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories is the best of Wilson's three solo projects; let's hope this particular group stays together awhile. In terms of musical possibility, the sky is the limit with this bunch.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #40,378 of 137,281
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #40,380 of 137,281
Quote:

One of the all time great balladeers of the generation, stellar lyrics over outstanding arrangements ! .

I was just listening to The Distance this morning. That album doesn't really have any of their bigger hits, but it's by far my favorite.

Do you have his 2006 album?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back