What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #24,817 of 137,785
Peter Frampton

Frampton Comes Alive! (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) [Extra tracks, Live, Original recording remastered]

Peter Frampton

Couldn't have said it otherwise or better :

70s touchstone, April 3, 2001
By 
S CORBETT (Los Angeles Los Angeles) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive! (25th Annivrsary Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)

For some reason, I feel compelled to start this review off with a few comments from someone else's. Following is a review of the previous CD release of Frampton Comes Alive:
"This album is so 70s that to listen to it would risk opening a time portal back to the days of afros, bellbottoms and - shudder - arena rock! Frightening, eh? Okay, this WAS the biggest selling album of all time at one point, and it DID get tons of exposure on FM radio all over the world. But it was totally PLAYED OUT by 1979! To be caught dead with this disc in your collection then - even moreso NOW - would be an invitation to the worst kind of (deserved) ridicule. The fact that this anachronism has made it onto the compact disc format is astonishing."
Hmm. What's funny is that everything this person said about this CD is the very reason I bought it. I've been tempted to buy it for years, but everytime I picked it up, I hesitated and put it back. Guess I wasn't ready to step through that "portal - back to the days of afros, bellbottoms and arena rock!." But then I saw the 25th anniversary edition on sale and decided to grab it. Guess enough time had passed for me.
The point is, this is a set of live music that does indeed teleport you to a specific time and place. How many recordings can do that so successfully? Whether or not you're a fan of 70s music is really beside the point. Listening to Frampton Comes Alive, you can close your eyes and almost relive those concerts of yore - the sights, the sounds, the people.... Where it was general admission seating and huge mushroom clouds of pot smoke always formed at the top of the venues. Sometimes the music itself was irrelevant. It was about the experience. This was before Ticketmaster wrangled control of the concert business and ruined it forever. Frampton Comes Alive is a stern rebuke to that, and the boy bands that now fill those over-priced, designated-seating arenas. Yes, FCA is a reminder of arena rock, but a reminder nonetheless.
As for the reviewer's comment, "to be caught dead with this disc in your collection then - even moreso NOW - would be an invitation to the worst kind of (deserved) ridicule." Geez, I'm not 13 anymore and feel quite secure in my decision to purchase this. So bring on the taunts, pal. My musical tastes are wide and varied and somehow this CD fits right in.
A great addition to any collection and especially for those who don't mind doing a little time traveling.( Flashback , Good Times )
L3000.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #24,818 of 137,785

Taking note of hyper-cool Mark Sandman's works for future reference ; Thanx, retat :wink:
Quote:

Uber cool & great backdrop!

In response (c;

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #24,820 of 137,785

Quote:
Quote:

Start with Morphine's Cure For Pain.
R.I.P. Mark. 

Yeah, that was my first.  Beuna was a great song for the times, such an addictive sound 
cool.gif
  but my personal favourite album is "Good".

It's been 12 years now and I still miss him.  The candle that burns twice as bright lasts only half as long.

I regret that I never saw Morphine play, despite numerous tours to our shores in the nineties.  Now I can only experience them vicariously through the many live boots I have collected from dime.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #24,821 of 137,785

Lento - Icon

Chasing Shadows - Ill / Amirah
Props to MorbidToaster for this one
beerchug.gif

Chase & Status - Let You Go

UK posters will recognise who this is based on.

Loscil - Rubies

Lull - Cold Summer

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #24,824 of 137,785

[size=medium]
Sylvan - X Rayed

000d9325_medium.jpeg

German progressive rock that sounds like american hard/progressive/psychedelic rock

also

Scianka - Biale Wakacje

Polish experimental/pregressive, Totally recommended for lovers of the oldish prog style!
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back