What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #50,701 of 135,965
This is an album that surprised me extremely when I bought it on a whim two years ago. It ended up being one of my favorite pop albums of 2012 (it was released in 2011, but I didn't buy it until long after hearing the "Sail" single that was popularized online), with great layering, well-thought-out songs, and really crisp production. Even if you think you don't like it, I suggest you give it a try.

Megalithic Symphony by AWOLNATION

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #50,705 of 135,965
  I agree, i had that on record also - such a great album. It really swings. I'm gone off the free stuff these days and seem to be hooked on groove with jazz music. 

I got this great album recently by Dan Nimmer called "yours is my heart alone" - I really like it and listen to it a lot. here is a track from the album, its not really like the Mingus album but maybe its down your street? 

Yeah that sounds pretty much like the complete opposite of Mingus's work. Not sure what I would think of it normally, but lately I'm been listening to a lot of jazz from this century and to me that sounds too much like the most traditional bop you could possibly make – not what my ears want to hear right now. Based on that single song alone, none of the three members sound like my kind of players. Not sure if the pianist plays like that on every song, but his "voice"(/style) doesn't on first impression seem like my cup of tea.

Currently listening to:

radio.string.quartet.vienna - Radiodream

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #50,706 of 135,965
more cabbage please 

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #50,707 of 135,965

Yeah that sounds pretty much like the complete opposite of Mingus's work. Not sure what I would think of it normally, but lately I'm been listening to a lot of jazz from this century and to me that sounds too much like the most traditional bop you could possibly make – not what my ears want to hear right now. Based on that single song alone, none of the three members sound like my kind of players. Not sure if the pianist plays like that on every song, but his "voice"(/style) doesn't on first impression seem like my cup of tea.

yea i heard of him true the Wynton marsalis band so i thought i would give him a go. There is some padding on the album but over all its fairly good

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #50,708 of 135,965
  yea i heard of him true the Wynton marsalis band so i thought i would give him a go. There is some padding on the album but over all its fairly good

Ever listened to "My Fair Lady" by Shelly Manne? There's a piano trio record I can recommend.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #50,710 of 135,965
  Ever listened to "My Fair Lady" by Shelly Manne? There's a piano trio record I can recommend.

No but im going looking for it now

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #50,715 of 135,965

First listen for me-I likes

Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings [4 disc Box set, Live]

This collection is a beast  in the best of ways

Yeah!

Totally diggin' on Art Blakey! Hard bop rocks in my book.

2 disc compilation of her early recordings paired down from a much more extensive box stet....really good introduction

Basically, a piano trio super group if there ever was one-gorgeous music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back