What are the most comfortable cans for extended listening sessions?
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #31 of 72
The Denons are like putting pillows on your head, but after about two hours your ears do need a breath of fresh air, the pleather earpads do get hot. The Beyers have the most comfortable headband but their earcups are smaller which can be problematic for someone with big ears such as myself. But they at times did seem to disappear, so big points there, unfortunately I could not keep them on my head long enough to make any comment about extended listens, they are light and soft as a cloud tho
biggrin.gif
. The AKG's headband is hell for the the first week or so, but once you figure out how to wear it correctly that problem dissipates, also the earcups are bigger so I can fit my ears in em.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons are like putting pillows on your head, but after about two hours your ears do need a breath of fresh air, the pleather earpads do get hot. The Beyers have the most comfortable headband but their earcups are smaller which can be problematic for someone with big ears such as myself. But they at times did seem to disappear, so big points there, unfortunately I could not keep them on my head long enough to make any comment about extended listens, they are light and soft as a cloud tho
biggrin.gif
. The AKG's headband is hell for the the first week or so, but once you figure out how to wear it correctly that problem dissipates, also the earcups are bigger so I can fit my ears in em.

Sennheiser

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneymjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something to wear at work. Right now I'm using some Senn HD497's. They are nice and light, but get hot after a while and the sound quality is certainly lacking. I need something that's easy to take on and off so IEM's are probably out. What do you recommend that will be comfortable to wear 8 hours/day and will please a neophyte audiophile?

Denon AH-D2000, and i've never had an issue with my ears overheating from them

compared to my Grado's, the D2k's are like silk on the ears, although the Grado's aren't bad either (they however DO warm my ears up)

another relatively comfy solution is the M-Audio Studiophile Q40, theres an AKG at around $120, forget what its called, its got gold trim on it, K240 or K271 or something, its a studio phone

the AT studio phones aren't bad, but I wouldn't be able to do 8 hours, same is true for the Senn 280Pro's (or most Senn's for that matter)

might also look at Sony, Pioneer, and Allen&Heath's DJ headphone offerings (they're gonna favor build quality and comfort over sound quality though)

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Death-Clamp.

What you really need is some Beyers.

I have a very large head and after tugging on the Senns for about 3 or 4 days they fit perfectly. You are right though, when I got them out of the box they squeezed my head like hell. I also like the oval shape better than the round on the Beyers. I can do 6 hours in my Senns and be ready for 6 more. I have been thinking about some white 600 ohm 990s with black trim though.

rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #40 of 72
Well from what I remember the bass was lacking. It was a hit or miss deal with thier focust lense but overall I liked them. They were popular here at one time but seemed to have faded away and only old timers remember them. The senn 590 was very comfortable and light with great bass but muddie sounding but I liked them to. The muddie sound came from the awesome bass but lots of fun to listen to and got the head and body moving. LOL. Talk about moving I was listening to my soundmagic pl-30 today and started to play my air guitar and body moving around. Good old pink flyod got to me with the iem and the great bass.

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #42 of 72
DT800 are good one

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #43 of 72
Dt880s are supremely comfortable, not only physically, but sonically. There has been plenty mention of the dt880s comfortable qualities so far, but ime they were the only cans I have owned that had a sound easy-going enough to bear listening to all day while doing other things, i.e. surfing the web or researching. This may be important if you have subtly sensitive eardrums that cannot take the pressure of sound coming from drivers that rest so close to them.

*edit* I see that you have the dt880'05s. Is there something you don't like about them to use at work?

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 72
How come noone has mentioned senn 650s? They are the only good cans I own, so I wouldnt know.
I think they are a joy to put on, fantastically comfortable.
They certainly beat the chassis the 5xx sets are based on, I bought my brother a pair of HD555s for 100AU on ebay, and tell ya what, I've been spoiled big time. Them 555's aren't usable if the 650's are also in the same room.
I also know about the veil effect in the 650s now I have something to compare them to, very laid back sound, and I'm wondering if a recable will change the sound.
Not before I get DT880's though!

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #45 of 72
I have the DT880s and I agree that they are incredibly comfortable. My office is kinda noisy, so I really need to use cans that provide some isolation. Based on everything I've read, it seems that Denon D2000's are going to be my answer.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back