What are the most comfortable cans for extended listening sessions?
Sep 27, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneymjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something to wear at work. Right now I'm using some Senn HD497's. They are nice and light, but get hot after a while and the sound quality is certainly lacking. I need something that's easy to take on and off so IEM's are probably out. What do you recommend that will be comfortable to wear 8 hours/day and will please a neophyte audiophile?

I vote for the Senn HD-580/600/650. Comfortable with extended listening and great sound. My current HD-600 set up comes close to my Thiel Audio CS1.5 loudspeaker listening experience.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD-595's are pretty comfy. I've also found AKG 271s's are pretty good, too for extended listening sessions.

i must second the 595's - i haven't tried the beyer's so can't objectively compare, but i most certainly enjoy these phones on extended listening - only issue is heat - ears get warm on long sessions, but "clampage" etc. i most certainly did not notice...i suppose it might be subjective depending on physiology...

haha - as an aside - have an old pair (antique) of koss k/125 phones and the padding is completely gone - man, a few minutes with those and your ears feel like they are bleeding...

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #64 of 72
Since you have a new amp I'll suggest the Yuin PK1 because it's the only phone I own that literally disappears in my ears and makes me think I'm listening to Roger LS3/5As. It's also not too indescrete and isolating like circumaural phones are inclined to be.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they have less clamping force then they will have a sloppy fit for people with smaller heads. If they are tight then pull them apart people time after time until the clapping force is comfortable for your head people!
rolleyes.gif
I also hereby nominate the 650s as the most comfortable headphones.

Are you saying I have a big head!?
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #67 of 72
Senn HD590 is nice and light, and never got uncomfy, but I don't use them any more. I'd have to say HD650...

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #68 of 72
I just got my first pair of Grado today (125's), and I must say that from everything that I was reading, I was expecting to have to do some pad modding to make these things wearable.

Well... apparently I'm lucky enough to have similarly shaped head as John Grado because these fit like a glove and I can barely feel them while they're on.

Just goes to show that YMMV and you can't believe everything you read absolutely until you've tried it yourself.

Now excuse me while I blacklist this site for a few years so I don't feel compelled to keep reading and upgrading.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #70 of 72
I love my HD650's, they were tight at first, but now I can't imagine anything being more comfortable.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #72 of 72
K701 feels a bit heavy to me, though not quite as atrociously bad as CD3000. Both feel very nice on the skin, but the weight causes gradual fatigue on my neck.

HD650s I got were nearly new at the moment of purchase, still a bit too high on the clamping force. Strangely, HD580s are the most comfiest thing ever, I could use them as earmuffs
biggrin.gif
They are heavily worn down, and had to have the earpads replaced just replaced. I wonder how much of that is wear and loosening vs inherent difference between hd580/hd650 headbands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back