What are the best headhones for me?
Apr 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
So after I learned a little more about what I want, I decided to revise the OP.

EDIT: Comfort is paramount because I listen to music all day. I want to know the options for amplified and unamplified. Over ear, open or closed is fine, as long as it sounds really good. On ear isn't an option.

Build quality - As long as it doesn't break if I accidentally sit on it I'll be fine. 

My driversGo-Dap GD-03 amplifier, iPod Classic 160 gig (my main unit of music playing), iPod Touch, iPhone 3g. I want something with a good sound stage and accuracy, I want it to handle everything I throw at it too. 

Isolation - not a big concern, because these will be for around the house, and maybe a little on the go use.

My sound signature (this is where I'm just guessing what I want) - I want a good sound stage and accuracy. I want to hear all the instruments separately and can handle anything I throw at it that doesn't sound muddy or congested. Here's my last fm http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor. You can see I have over 800 artists I listen to, but mostly metal.

This time I'll take better care, and more time before making a decision. This is how I should have started this thread. 

OLD OP: I mainly listen to music on my portable headphones, connected to my iPod. I've had a pare of bose AE2 headphones for a few years now, and they haven't broken. However, I've been interested in headphones that give better sound for my metal music. These ones kind of don't elevate the music I listen to to the heights I think it should sound. It doesn't give heavy music that powerful sound. But whatever headphones I get, they have to be durable as hell. Sometimes I fall asleep with these on, I use them all the time for running outside, and they get lots of sweat on them (sorry if that grosses someone out). I want an upgrade, I'm not looking to try multiple headphones. I want to order one pare of headphones that delivers what I want right out of the box. 

Price range, I'm looking at above 100 dollars. I don't want cheap headphones, it has to be an upgrade from my bose AE2s. On the other hand, let's try to look at headphones below 300 dollars. I wouldn't want headphones I have to baby, unless they're designed to be durable. I look forward to the suggestions; please and thank you.

These headphones must be non-amp driven.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 46
I would suggest V-MODA. The M80 is excellent for metal and just about everything else. The M100 is superior in some ways (extension, soundstage, over-ear comfort) but has even greater bass emphasis, which may or may not be to your liking. They're both very durable and are great for portable use.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 46
Two sets jump out: the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and the V-Moda M80. They're both tough as all hell and sound good with metal. Personally, I prefer the isolation and overall presentation of the HD25, and the looks, ergonomics and comfort of the M80. As far as a 'heavy sound,' if  you mean a greater bass emphasis, I'd probably go with the M80 (based on memory, I don't have them anymore), but if you mean a punchy, fun sound, I'd go HD25. 

Overall, I've now purchased 4 sets of HD25 and 3 sets of M80 (mostly as gifts for family), and I slightly prefer the HD25. As a side note, the new Amperior is apparently just an HD25 with a metal cup (which apparently does have a positive impact on the sound, according to Tyll at InnerFidelity), so if you find a great deal on a set of Amperiors instead of HD25s, I'm guessing they'll meet your needs just fine!

Hope this helps :wink:

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 46
V-Moda M100
DT 770 LE
AKG 550
Sennheiser Momentum

All bring nice durability to the table. The most rugged of them all would probably be the V-Modas. Those are built like a tank. Unfortunately, I prefer both 550 and Momentum sonically, over the other two. Ultimately, durability comes with most portable headphones, sound quality according to your preference should be your deciding factor.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:
Two sets jump out: the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and the V-Moda M80. They're both tough as all hell and sound good with metal. Personally, I prefer the isolation and overall presentation of the HD25, and the looks, ergonomics and comfort of the M80. As far as a 'heavy sound,' if  you mean a greater bass emphasis, I'd probably go with the M80 (based on memory, I don't have them anymore), but if you mean a punchy, fun sound, I'd go HD25. 

Overall, I've now purchased 4 sets of HD25 and 3 sets of M80 (mostly as gifts for family), and I slightly prefer the HD25. As a side note, the new Amperior is apparently just an HD25 with a metal cup (which apparently does have a positive impact on the sound, according to Tyll at InnerFidelity), so if you find a great deal on a set of Amperiors instead of HD25s, I'm guessing they'll meet your needs just fine!

Hope this helps :wink:

Thank you. I should have mentioned though, I absolutely do not want amp driven headphones. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 46
No problem, neither of these require amps. I've run both of them out of my phone or tablet with zero issues. The V-Modas are a bit different than most in that they don't seem to really scale up with better sources, which can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your POV. The HD25 sounds great out of a phone and better from a better source. 

Actually, looking at Greed's list, I think any of these could be powered by humble sources too. The 550 is 32 ohm, the Momentum is 18 ohm, the DT 770 LE is 32 ohm, and V-Modas are made to work from portable devices. There is certainly more to a headphone's compatibility with less-powerful sources than the impedance, but it's a reasonable starting point. I have a pair of Momentums on the way, partly because they supposedly work very well with mobile sources but scale up nicely with better equipment. 

I could be completely wrong about this, but I get the impression that the Momentum, while well-built, may not be as ludicrously durable as the M80 or HD25. Again, just a guess from reviews I've read at this point, so take it for what it's worth. But the Momentum is supposedly vastly more comfortable than the HD25, due in no small measure to the dramatic reduction in clamping force. (The HD25 clamps like a champ-- your eyes may bulge out a little when you put 'em on). 

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 46
If you want the most durable, then without a question HD25-1 II's. Only pair of headphones I can trust to toss around and still feel comfortable about it. Sennheiser Legend has it that they even survived a studio fire...

And should anything break by any chance, they're completely modular and all you'd have to do is to buy the part you broke separately.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 46
EDIT:Okay, forget the stuff about running with these, I can just use these as my around the house headphones and keep my AE2 headphones for running.

EDIT 2: Hey, guys, on second thought, these will be used for wearing around the house and I'll probably get a portable amplifier for them. 

Okay, so, so far I've been suggested 6 headphones, V-MODA M80 and M100 (which Kendoji and theogene says has good bass, although I find metal sounds better with less bass so you can hear the whole sound stage though), Sennheiser HD25-1 II (you say these have a punchy sound, what does that mean?), V-Moda M80 (+1), V-Moda M100 (+1), Sennheiser Momentum, DT 770 LE, AKG 550, HD25-1 II (+1).

V-Mada M80 and M100 appear to have a bulk cable, that's a big no, because it will flop everywhere when I run with it. So This one won't work.

[size=small]Sennheiser HD25-1 II, recommended twice, appears to be an alright headphone. It appears to have a bit of a bulkier cable than my AE2 headphones, but not as bad as the V-Mada. It appears to be an on-ear headphone, which could be a problem, considering I'm used to over ear headphones which I use basically all day long which don't hurt my ear skin. Over all these ones interest me most, next to the AKGs. [/size]

Sennheiser Momentum headphones appear very nice, and they have a replaceable headphone wire which is neat. They appear comfortable and stylish. Unfortunately they have that little box on the wire, which I hope wouldn't be too heavy. Over all, my bigger concern is they're a bit expensive. 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 LE - These are the same headphones my younger brother uses and he says they require amplification. Plus they're huge. Probably 1-1/2 the size of my current ones.

AKG 550 - Man, these things look so cool, and they appear to have a nice cable, good design. They do appear a little big. Isn't this the headphones that the board /g/ on 4chan is obsessed with? I've heard good things about them, like they're water resistant. I do like to sit in my family's hot tub with my AE2 headphones on sometimes, and the steam doesn't effect them. Also, if it was snowing outside I could probably still wear these like I do my AE2 headphones (Headphones are like my earmuffs in the winter).This is probably the headphone that interests me most atm. Unless someone would like to tell me these aren't that great for metal. Only that would make it better is if the cord was detachable. It would be a shame if the cord broke and I had to have them sent in. When the cord breaks for my AE2 headphones I can just order another pare for cheap on amazon. 

It's good that there's all these suggestions. Thank you guys for all your help so far. I'd like to narrow things down eventually though. This is kind of an arduous process.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 46
Yep, looking for new gear is typically a completely awesome/horrible/elating/grating experience. That said, if you're interested in amplification now, I hate to tell ya-- the possibility for great sound quality goes up pretty impressively, but the complexity of your setup tends to increase as well. What source would you be using with your around-the-house setup? (I ask because with some devices you can get a combined DAC/amp unit that can MASSIVELY improve the quality of the sound you get.) 

Just know that once you get a setup you like and actually use, your life actually really does get better. Most people outside the hobby don't understand that it isn't like stamp collecting (usually)-- it's really a quality-of-life issue, and access to great sound really can make your whole day better. It's like getting a quality pair of shoes for a job that keeps you on your feet all day-- except it's for your mental well-being. IMO, anyway. 

As an aside on the portable setup: I spent about three hours driving today, and the fact that I had a couple of different pieces there to accommodate pretty much any scenario I could encounter made it a vastly more pleasant experience. I ended up getting caught in traffic on a construction thing for about 15 minutes, and I just didn't really care at all. (In the past, I might very well have foamed at the mouth and launched invectives that could peel the paint from nearby vehicles). A good portable setup is worth its weight in gold. IMO, naturally. 

So, anyway: what source are you gonna be using? :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:
Yep, looking for new gear is typically a completely awesome/horrible/elating/grating experience. That said, if you're interested in amplification now, I hate to tell ya-- the possibility for great sound quality goes up pretty impressively, but the complexity of your setup tends to increase as well. What source would you be using with your around-the-house setup? (I ask because with some devices you can get a combined DAC/amp unit that can MASSIVELY improve the quality of the sound you get.) 

Just know that once you get a setup you like and actually use, your life actually really does get better. Most people outside the hobby don't understand that it isn't like stamp collecting (usually)-- it's really a quality-of-life issue, and access to great sound really can make your whole day better. It's like getting a quality pair of shoes for a job that keeps you on your feet all day-- except it's for your mental well-being. IMO, anyway. 

As an aside on the portable setup: I spent about three hours driving today, and the fact that I had a couple of different pieces there to accommodate pretty much any scenario I could encounter made it a vastly more pleasant experience. I ended up getting caught in traffic on a construction thing for about 15 minutes, and I just didn't really care at all. (In the past, I might very well have foamed at the mouth and launched invectives that could peel the paint from nearby vehicles). A good portable setup is worth its weight in gold. IMO, naturally. 

So, anyway: what source are you gonna be using? :)

Yes, I am interested in a portable source. I'd just be using it around the house. In that case it looks like either the Sennheiser Momentum or AKG 550 headphones are the proper choice. I will not be retiring my AE2 headphones, I don't know why I considered that at first, they're still perfectly useful. I want nice headphones though, not for doing everything in, so they can be a little bit bigger and more expensive. I still want to use them for purposes besides plugging them into my computer (because I mainly use my ipod for listening to music - I don't like feeling tethered to my computer). So in that case they can be semi-portable, but still use a portable source. That way I can get an amp and soundcard for my computer, after I've saved up some money after this purchase, and I can use these headphones with the portable source in the mean time. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 46
Okay, so just to clarify briefly, here are the specifics of your intended use:  

1. You plan on using the cans you get both at the computer and while working around the house. 
  2. While around the house, you use an iPod as your primary source. 
  3. You plan on getting a DAC/amp (our terminology for an external soundcard and amp) for use with your computer. 
  4. You do not plan on using your external DAC/amp with your portable source. 

If these are correct, awesome. If not, please correct me so we can keep moving towards the right answer. With that said, I have a few follow-up questions for you: 

1. Do you plan on ever using these with your cellphone or tablet? If so, what model(s) do you have? 
  2. Which iPod do you use? 
  3. On the computer or from a phone/tablet, do you ever anticipate the need for a mic? (I.e., will you use them for talking at all?)
  4. What kind of computer do you have? PC or Mac? 

This will help us make sure we point you towards something that will do what you need in each scenario. I'll check back on ya tonight!

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 46
I cant believe no one suggested the Sony V6. They are the classic example of "built like a tank." Plenty of pro mixing studios have Sonys that are 20 years old, treated like crap, and are still going strong.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:
I cant believe no one suggested the Sony V6. They are the classic example of "built like a tank." Plenty of pro mixing studios have Sonys that are 20 years old, treated like crap, and are still going strong.

Because the Sony V6 is long past its prime sound qualitywise. Build quality shouldn't be an issue, because the OP is looking for a portable headphone, and most portable headphones take into account excellent build quality. 

@OP - Also, if you are considering the Momentums, please make sure the cups fit your ears. One of the main gripes about the headphone is the rather small cup design. They are meant to be worn over-the-ear, not on-ear for the best SQ. They an be somewhat uncomfortable if you have medium-large or larger ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back