What are some really good speaker wires?
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

goodolcheez

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a newb to speaker wires.  I got myself a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers.  What are some real good speaker wires for this set?   And what termination does it need?  Spades or Bananas?

The one I have in mind is Bettercables Premium III speaker wires.  I don't know what termination is suited for the A2 speakers.

I saw Audioquest speaker cables but I think they are out of my price range.

I also heard about Cryo-treated speaker wires.  Are they really good? 

What do you recommend?

tanks!

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 32
Truth?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2747&seq=1&format=2

Honestly, I have some nice home speakers, B&W N802s, they sound amazing and they're extremely revealing. Also have a really nice pre/pro and amp, both Integra Research, and I couldn't tell much difference at all between Transparent Reference XL and plain 12AWG OFC. In fact, the difference I did hear very well could be chalked up to placebo. I ended up sending the Transparents back and just braided my own, using nice looking sleeves and terminated with quality GLS spades.

I'm not trying to crap on your thread, really I'm not, I'd just rather see you spend your cash on fun new gear rather than something that, IMO, is of questionable value. I'm not saying that people who buy nice speaker cables are idiots, they aren't, I'm simply saying that boutique speaker wire did nothing for me.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 32
some really good speaker wire would be the Crystal Cable Piccolo, but it's like 4x the price of the A2's alone (hint). but I doubt it'd make much difference in this situation, and even if it did the cost would not justify it.

what I'm saying is money would be better spent upgrading speakers in this instance, for example, than cables. don't waste money on friggin' Monoprice either.

the cable that came with the A2's is fine as it is. if you still wish to experiment with a different cable maybe try some Mogami's . imo

[edit]
there maybe a couple of suggestions in this setup as possible upgrades?

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 32

Quote:
some really good speaker wire would be the Crystal Cable Piccolo, but it's like 4x the price of the A2's alone (hint). but I doubt it'd make much difference in this situation, and even if it did the cost would not justify it.

what I'm saying is money would be better spent upgrading speakers in this instance, for example, than cables. don't waste money on friggin' Monoprice either.

the cable that came with the A2's is fine as it is. if you still wish to experiment with a different cable maybe try some Mogami's . imo

I'm not looking for a set of speaker wires costing $800 or more.  My budget is $50- $100 for such.

Are you saying Monoprice speaker cables are bad?  or not worth the money?  i have never used Monoprice cables which is why i'm asking..

Don't the better quality speaker wires reduce / eliminate noise and distortion during transmission?

And dude, I asked about what termination of the cables do I need for my A2's.  I have no idea what type I'm supposed to go with.  Can you pls guide me.  tanks!

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 32
I strongly doubt Monoprice's, or any other similar priced cables, will be any different than the wire that came with the A2's. bare wire would be best suited.

I get your desire to try better cables, but it's not the most priority here

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 32
I recommend the Monoprice speaker wire because it's supple (most pack-in and budget wire is cheap feeling and inflexible), true 12AWG (as opposed to 20AWG for most pack-ins*), and of very uniform quality. It's just a couple cuts above the bargain bin stuff. That's all. :)

*may not make a difference, but it's much harder to kink.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 32
You are highly unlikely to find a difference in speaker cables with the A2's.  The most basic AQ or Kimber will be borderline overkill.  Save your $$$.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 32
Ok thanks chaps. I'll just stick with the speaker wires that came with my A2's then.

Just for curiosity, will a speaker wire with spades end work with A2's as well?  Will it fit?

tanks!

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 32
Thanks, but I don't do DIY stuff.  I let the professionals (manufacturers) do that kind of thing. :)

You guys may hate to hear this but eventually I'm going to pick up one of these pairs for my A2's. The shortest one is going for only $150.  They look aesthetically beautiful and all that insulation. I love thick cables...

Premium III Speaker Cable Technical Information

1. Choice of spades or banana plugs.
  2. Available in bi-wire configuration (2 conductors on amp side and 4 on the speaker side).
  3. Quad stranded copper conductors.
  4. UL in-wall rating UL1666 Vertical Riser.
  5. C (UL) Flame Test FT4.
  6. Very Low 33.2 pF/ft capacitance.
  7. Durable, abrasion-resistant outer mesh covering.

This cable represents the culmination of our long hours in the listening rooms. Composed of quad 16AWG, helically-wound, stranded copper conductors. Each conductor is individually insulated. Available as straight-through 2 conductor to 2 conductor or as a 2 conductor to 4 conductor bi-wire configuration.

For now, I'm going to order me an Audioengine D1 DAC, Toslink to 3.5mm mini adapter, Fiber optic cable, high quality short RCA and USB cable for my Macbook Pro.  The speaker wires will be the last thing to add.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 32
I think his point was any changes cables may or may not make to the sound of A2's is a very small change, compared to putting that same amount of money into better speakers. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
I think his point was any changes cables may or may not make to the sound of A2's is a very small change, compared to putting that same amount of money into better speakers. 

I know what he meant.  But like I said before, I'm going after sound quality, not volume (wattage).  I have sensitive ears, and have different taste than some of you folks.

This is being used in my room which isn't that big.   For my living room, I have more powerful audio system for that, which I can upgrade later in the future.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 32
I see your already getting defense so Ill apologize for bringing up exchanging the speakers for something with better SQ instead of spending that money on cables that cost 75% of what the speakers cost. Anyways sorry and good luck hope it turns out looking really pretty.

Quote:
I'm trying to get max out of A2's. And also for nicer looking setup.  Isn't this allowed?

I am not going to upgrade my speakers. I just got them recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back