What are some really good speaker wires?
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 32
Are you honestly going to spend 50-100 on wires for speakers that cost 200?  That's just plain wrong.  You're better off investing in maybe a better dac, although it wasn't really made clear what source you're using for the A2s to begin with.

You don't have to have louder speakers to have better speakers.  Even bookshelves with 5 inch woofers do a very good job of near field listening at low volumes.

Edit: nvm!  I skipped over the post where said you would by a dac and were running them off the macbook.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't do DIY stuff.  I let the professionals (manufacturers) do that kind of thing. :)

You guys may hate to hear this but eventually I'm going to pick up one of these pairs for my A2's. The shortest one is going for only $150.  They look aesthetically beautiful and all that insulation. I love thick cables...

Premium III Speaker Cable Technical Information

1. Choice of spades or banana plugs.
  2. Available in bi-wire configuration (2 conductors on amp side and 4 on the speaker side).
  3. Quad stranded copper conductors.
  4. UL in-wall rating UL1666 Vertical Riser.
  5. C (UL) Flame Test FT4.
  6. Very Low 33.2 pF/ft capacitance.
  7. Durable, abrasion-resistant outer mesh covering.

This cable represents the culmination of our long hours in the listening rooms. Composed of quad 16AWG, helically-wound, stranded copper conductors. Each conductor is individually insulated. Available as straight-through 2 conductor to 2 conductor or as a 2 conductor to 4 conductor bi-wire configuration.

For now, I'm going to order me an Audioengine D1 DAC, Toslink to 3.5mm mini adapter, Fiber optic cable, high quality short RCA and USB cable for my Macbook Pro.  The speaker wires will be the last thing to add.

never tried or even heard of Premium III before. seems well made

also checkout these speaker cables:
Supra Ply
DH Lab Oyssey
Mogami

don't get me wrong.  I personally fully support your quest to get the best out of the A2's. I do the same. I spent more on various cables than anything else - just last week I bought a pair of Nordost Frey speaker cables.
and I think you're just  going to achieve that by getting the DAC, etc... I just don't think that swapping a cheap cable for another cheap one will achieve anything.
maybe I should connect the Frey's to my A2's to see if I can hear a difference. heh 

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Are you honestly going to spend 50-100 on wires for speakers that cost 200?  That's just plain wrong.  You're better off investing in maybe a better dac, although it wasn't really made clear what source you're using for the A2s to begin with.

You don't have to have louder speakers to have better speakers.  Even bookshelves with 5 inch woofers do a very good job of near field listening at low volumes.

Edit: nvm!  I skipped over the post where said you would by a dac and were running them off the macbook.

Yo dude the cable I was talking about costs $150 for a pair for the shortest one! It goes up to $450-500 for a pair.
redface.gif

I am not looking for 5 inch woofers.  The 2.7 inch Carbon kevlar woofers suffice. And high quality .75" dome tweeters. :)  These are "monitors" rather than speakers for my near and far field listening.

Yes I just ordered me a following this mornin':

- Audioengine D1 DAC
- Recoton Fiber Optic Toslink to 3.5 mm Mini Adapter
- Bettercable Premium Toslink Fiber Optic Cable
- Bettercable RCA Silver Serpent Anniversary Edition 0.5m RCA cables

Wahahahahahahahahaha I'm excited! :)

Quote:
never tried or even heard of Premium III before. seems well made

also checkout these speaker cables:
Supra Ply
DH Lab Oyssey
Mogami

don't get me wrong.  I personally fully support your quest to get the best out of the A2's. I do the same. I spent more on various cables than anything else - just last week I bought a pair of Nordost Frey speaker cables.
and I think you're just  going to achieve that by getting the DAC, etc... I just don't think that swapping a cheap cable for another cheap one will achieve anything.
maybe I should connect the Frey's to my A2's to see if I can hear a difference. heh 

Thanks for the suggestion and support!!! :D

It's from BetterCable manufacturer.. actually.  I have been having good experience with them as I have bought other A/V cables from them before as far as performance and quality goes.

Like I posted above I just ordered me an Audioengine D1 DAC and the cables....  I didn't get speaker wires yet as I ran out of $$$$$ lol.  I'll get the speaker wires later on my next pay check!

Thanks, I will read up about those speaker wires you listed. And the Nordost Frey speaker cables?  Sound intriguing!..   Yes if you get a chance please try it on your A2 to see how it works out. :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 32
Supra & DH Lab cables offer good value. I'm using the Supra Sword spk cable after evaluating half a doz alternatives. Anti-cables are quite well balanced for the price too. 

Never try Mogami before but they are popular as DIY cables around here.

You can also grab some generic 18 gauge solid core cables from the local hardware store for a try; can sound much better than stock stranded cables. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 32
I used Supra Ply3.4S, around like $13 AU a metre when i got mine.
Another i recently found out about is the flat speaker cable, on ebay italty about $5AU (4 EURO) ebay ID150748023529, its Ortofon SPK-300, not sure of the gauge size, and is hard to solder, but really nice looking copper and sounds great to me

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #22 of 32
16 awg lamp/zip cord will do fine. i say keep bare wire personally but it's up to you. you only need thicker gauges than 16awg if your running more then 50ft of wire. all speakerwire is the same no matter the brand. they just use different marketing and different insulation to make it prettier looking. bare wire from home dept gauge of your choice is more then fine. i personally don't go any heavier then 14 gauge and i just braid them up so they won't tangle and be easier to roll up if i have to. depending on length even 18awg is more then fine for speaker use but usually recommend at least 16awg cause how cheap it is to get.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 32
Eh, don't be fooled by the 'monitor' marketing lingo.  They're every bit as much a speaker as the next biggest thing out there.

very true. you can even use nice towers for monitoring and playback as well. lot of studios like using yamaha floor speakers for playback/monitoring or even some small PA speakers. they don't usually use pair of small active monitors with a dedicated sub-woofer all the time. just saying.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
very true. you can even use nice towers for monitoring and playback as well. lot of studios like using yamaha floor speakers for playback/monitoring or even some small PA speakers. they don't usually use pair of small active monitors with a dedicated sub-woofer all the time. just saying.

Never seen floor standing yamaha in studios; usually NS10s, which model are you referring to? PA speakers in studio is new to me too.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #25 of 32
Here's a review of some budget DH Lab cables
http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=320:dh-labs-odyssey-speaker-cables-white-lightning-interconnects-silversonic-usb-digital-interconnect-encore-power-cord&catid=56:equipment-reviews&Itemid=37

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 32
My favorite speaker wire, I get at Lowes. It's on the big wall of bulk cable, I am fond of the 12 gauge, but you could always go for 10. I just don't like how difficult 10 is to route. I'm pretty sure it's sprinkler control wire, it's all O2 free Cu. It's pretty flexible and it feels pretty substantial. If I recall properly, it's about 50 cents a foot. If you have binding posts, there's no reason to terminate it. If you want to, or yours are too small for 12-10 gauge wire (like mine are), you can get decent GLS bananas on Amazon. Couple screws and Bob's your uncle.

Here are some bananas:
http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Chrome-Generation-Connector/dp/B000QSEOJY/ref=sr_1_149?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333508960&sr=1-149

This looks like the wire:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_314364-20424-55269-S4-08_0__?productId=3128549&Ntt=low+voltage+landscape+wire&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dlow%2Bvoltage%2Blandscape%2Bwire&facetInfo=

If you go to the store, you can get it in bulk pretty darn cheap.

Whether you buy into the speaker wire making a difference thing or not, it's good wire and a cheap. Is it the best? Likely not, but I certainly doubt that for under the $100 it could be bettered in a noticeable way.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 32
my usual advice is to get decent 12awg copper cable from companies like belden, canare etc. Then spend as much as you can on speakers you like.

I prefer canare cables myself.

However, since you already have your speakers. Just get whatever tickles your fancy.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #29 of 32
lol i think hes a shill for bettercables tbh. ignores all suggestions and comes up with bs about how he doesnt care about volume.

the rca cables were $60
the toslink is $35 (and actually looks worse than the monoprice premium toslink that goes for $5)
the speaker cables he wants are $150

and he has audioengine a2. 

probably trying to get bettercables associated with audioengine in a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back