What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching?
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Smiller4128

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a new user here and before I begin I'd like to mention that I know there's a Recommendation Page here already, but a quick look shows me there's a LOT of information and I know over enough time I could go over it all but in the meantime I'd just like to get some simple recommendations.

I'm looking for a good pair of Headphones to watch my Blu-Rays on late at night. I already have a 5.2 Bose setup in my place. I use a Yamaha RV-667 receiver which has the Silent Cinema feature which it states is for surround sound headphone use I believe. I'm looking for anything up to about $350, maybe even like $500 if found on eBay for about $350 if that makes sense. Just trying to get several recommendations and go from there.

Thank You in Advance.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 21
I like the Sennheiser HD-558 for movies, but if you want a closed headphone something like the Shure SRH840 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a few of my mid-fi options.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 21
The Bose AE2 and QC15 are good for movie watching in silence - decent soundstage, good isolation, very comfortable, good bass impact and extension, non-fatiguing top-end; don't leave much wanting. QC15 are basically everything the AE2 are, just better/more of it - the rub is they eat batteries and cost more. Ultrasone HFI-2400 are nice if you don't need isolation. Generally would avoid anything bass-light or overly congested. :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 21
Ok well I've narrowed it down some. I'm currently looking at one of these three:

- Audio Technica ATH-M50S
-Beyerdynamic DT770
-AKG K550

I REALLY like the look of the AKG's but im not sure about the way it sounds...as for Bose, I hadn't considered those because I wasn't sure if they'd be acceptable for movie watching. I love my Bass when watching movies and wasn't sure if those would fit my needs.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 21
Ok well I've narrowed it down some. I'm currently looking at one of these three:

-Beyerdynamic DT770
-AKG K550

I REALLY like the look of the AKG's but im not sure about the way it sounds...as for Bose, I hadn't considered those because I wasn't sure if they'd be acceptable for movie watching. I love my Bass when watching movies and wasn't sure if those would fit my needs.

The K550 will not satisfy the "bass" desire, the M50 have a very congested soundstage and aren't comfortable (physically) long term (they get hot and sticky), I don't know the Beyers (but I disliked their big brother, the T70, basically unilaterally; comfort is the only thing they got right, so that might be something).

Denon D2000 and Senn HD 5x are both good suggestions as well - Denon will be better than the AE2, if you can still find a pair (over $350 is gunpoint robbery though). The Bose have more bass than the K550 (I'm not a big K550 fan, all told), and better controlled bass than the M50; especially the QC15 (but again, if you don't need the ANC, don't want to deal with batteries, don't want to deal with the price, etc the AE2 are a very good headphone for multimedia applications). Sound-staging on the K550 is probably good enough, if you can get a seal, and their build is very good from all of the examples I've seen.

The AE2 will be voiced most similar to (properly set-up) Acoustimass speakers, FWIW.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 21
My 2 faves for DVD movie watching, straight out of the Denon receiver:
Bose AE2
K240s-55
I had a DT770-80 and it was great for movies, but I found I was using the AKG more so I sold the 770.

I like the sound of the AKG slightly better than the bose because its way more detail revealing, yet still bassy-fun enough for movies.  But the AE2 is way more comfy in at least a half-dozen different ways, isolates better and has more bass-bloat... so that AE2 is generally what I use.

I have been wanting to try a Creative Aurvana live for this kind of thing too.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

-Beyerdynamic DT770
-AKG K550

I bought the Yamaha RX-V667 from Electronics Expo, but they ended up shipping me the RX-V671 :)
The RX-V667 is going to have a high impedance headphone output, so 32-Ohm AKG K550 and 50-Ohm ATH-M50 are not going to sound their best with the Yamaha.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm would be a better choice for use with receivers (RX-V667).
I prefer the DT990 over the DT770.
The DT990 are full bass and full treble and slightly recessed (but clear) mids. so the DT990 are more of a "movie theater" like sound.
Using closed headphones (DT770) while listening to action movies is just too taxing on my ears.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 21
I bought the Yamaha RX-V667 from Electronics Expo, but they ended up shipping me the RX-V671 :)
The RX-V667 is going to have a high impedance headphone output, so 32-Ohm AKG K550 and 50-Ohm ATH-M50 are not going to sound their best with the Yamaha.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm would be a better choice for use with receivers (RX-V667).
I prefer the DT990 over the DT770.
The DT990 are full bass and full treble and slightly recessed (but clear) mids. so the DT990 are more of a "movie theater" like sound.
Using closed headphones (DT770) while listening to action movies is just too taxing on my ears.

I don't know regarding the K550, but with the M50 (and the AE2 and D2000) they certainly will sound like they do anywhere else. They're super unpicky about amping (and even if they weren't, it's not a bad day with cans that are). No need to chain yourself to high-Z just because a receiver is in the mix. :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Hello,

I'm a new user here and before I begin I'd like to mention that I know there's a Recommendation Page here already, but a quick look shows me there's a LOT of information and I know over enough time I could go over it all but in the meantime I'd just like to get some simple recommendations.

I'm looking for a good pair of Headphones to watch my Blu-Rays on late at night. I already have a 5.2 Bose setup in my place. I use a Yamaha RV-667 receiver which has the Silent Cinema feature which it states is for surround sound headphone use I believe. I'm looking for anything up to about $350, maybe even like $500 if found on eBay for about $350 if that makes sense. Just trying to get several recommendations and go from there.

Thank You in Advance.

You want bassy headphones. All movies are better with thunder. And your receiver with silent cinema is fine, it will run any headphone basically just fine (even an ortho), so just pick a headphone and go.

Some options:

Closed:

Beyer DT770 PRO (any ohm, doesn't matter, get the least expensive, or the 80/250ohm if you need a choice)
AKG K167
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone PRO 900
AudioTechnica A900X
Mr Speaker Mad Dog (later, add sr007 stax pads)

Open:

Beyer DT990 (pro & premium; any impedance, suggest 250ohm for both)
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Ultrasone PRO 2900 (ideal; if you can find a deal)
Hifiman HE-300 r2
Hifiman HE-400 (used/sale)

Very best,

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Go for one that has long term comfort and maybe some isolation too. Mainly I use my Sennheiser HD280 pro- fairly comfy and closed back for noise isolation. They are'nt too picky about what you plug them into and should work well with your headphone jack. I don't know that you'd need much better for dialog and sound effects. If its a concert bluray I sometimes use my better cans, but the 280's sound good with those too. Some users find the headband tension too tight, but I can wear mine for hours with no discomfort.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 21
I watch movies using SONY's $1000 HMZ-T2 720p personal 3D viewer, a screen for each eye :) 
The pack in phones were $100ish buds, I tried using my MDR-1R just like in the advert shows but even that didn't impress.

Basically I watched Beauty and the Beast on this cinema headset using my MDR-V6, pure amazing sonic bliss! 

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 21
SoundMAGIC HP100.

Closed with no sound leakage. 
Isolation is ok
Sound quality very good. 
Extraordinary comfort. I can sit with them on for hours upon hours not even noticing they're on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back