What are my ortho+amp options for electronic music?
Aug 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bl42ed0

Head-Fier
I'm currently looking at either the LCD-2 or the HE-500. I'm going to be using them mostly for electronic with a little bit of everything else (rock, jazz, rnb, pop (in that order)). If not orthos, what are options do I have? I'm looking for something that is under $1000.

Any suggestions will also need a decent amp suggestion as well. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the amps so a Fiio suggestion would be great. Thanks!

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I'm currently looking at either the LCD-2 or the HE-500. I'm going to be using them mostly for electronic with a little bit of everything else (rock, jazz, rnb, pop (in that order)). If not orthos, what are options do I have? I'm looking for something that is under $1000.

Any suggestions will also need a decent amp suggestion as well. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the amps so a Fiio suggestion would be great. Thanks!

Don't even think about buying either if you plan to buy a cheap amp.  An entry level amp sufficient to power either of these planar cans starts at about $200 to $250 minimum.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I'm planning on getting the O2/ODAC combo (thanks to a fellow head-fier!) to power either of these cans. The question I have now is which one of these cans (if not, another option would be great) would be best suited for the type of music I plan to use them for.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks, I'm planning on getting the O2/ODAC combo (thanks to a fellow head-fier!) to power either of these cans. The question I have now is which one of these cans (if not, another option would be great) would be best suited for the type of music I plan to use them for.

Since the LCD-2 is a $1,000 can, you would be best served by posing your question in the Summit Fi section of the forum.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, I got all the information I needed from this post that is pretty much identical to what I am coming from.  What I got out of that post and from others is that the LCD-2 is the best of the best for electronic music while the HE-500 is a close second.  What really differentiates between the two is the difficulty in driving them and, of course, the cost.  The LCD-2 is more strict when it comes to amp pairing while the HE-500 is a tad easier.  Looks like I'll be going with the HE-500 in a couple of months!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back