What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC
Sep 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ThePhoenix924S

100+ Head-Fier
I have owned an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ amp for around a year now, I'm happy with it but I need a new amplifier that I plan to pair with a dedicated DAC that has an optical input so that I may use my PlayStation 3/ Xbox 360 video game consoles with my headphones.

My headphones are Sennheiser HD650s, and I listen mainly to soundtracks and classical music. I do not have or need a "proper" stereo system, so I use them for all my audio needs, which is 85% music, 10% films/ television, and 5% gaming.

I would like an amplifier for around $300 that is known to pair well with these popular headphones.  Also, I would prefer to order something from a company  that is known to be reliable both in quality and customer service (shipping, device problems, etc.). It does not have to be balanced, but if it is I am not opposed to it.  Also, I would find it very useful for it to have two headphone outputs, as there are times where my roommate and I watch a film at the same time.

I have not decided a DAC to pair with said amplifier, so if it is a combination DAC/ amp then that is fine. My total budget is $600, but I can likely stretch that a bit if necessary.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Bumped - I edited the initial post with revised preferences.  I realise that there are many threads of this nature but it seems that most of them recommend so wildly that I find it difficult to match up with what I'm looking for.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 4
I've found references that the Headroom Micro DAC and Micro AMP are good.  While they are a little over budget, will this be a significant increase in quality over my Audinst?  Also, the obvious question is are they the best choice for me?

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, I think I have decided to forget about finding a decent DAC for my price range, but am still potentially interested in an amp around $500 that I would connect to my Audinst's DAC.  Would the Schiit Lyr be an appropriate upgrade or should I stretch my budget for a Woo Audio model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back