What am I doing wrong with my IEMs if volume still has to be high?
Jul 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thenightman

Head-Fier
I finally got my MTPCs. While I understand it needs a 'break-in' before I can judge, I gotta say that I've never heard mids like this before. But a problem is that even though I plug these in deep enough to the point that I can barely hear ambient noise, I still find myself pumping the volume on my Cowon J3 to about 33-35/40 before I feel satisfied. It's the same way with the regular, stock earbuds.

I know that IEMs aren't designed for that kind of volume, so I'm pretty certain it's me that's doing something wrong. What do you think I could be doing wrong?

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
I finally got my MTPCs. While I understand it needs a 'break-in' before I can judge, I gotta say that I've never heard mids like this before. But a problem is that even though I plug these in deep enough to the point that I can barely hear ambient noise, I still find myself pumping the volume on my Cowon J3 to about 33-35/40 before I feel satisfied. It's the same way with the regular, stock earbuds.

I know that IEMs aren't designed for that kind of volume, so I'm pretty certain it's me that's doing something wrong. What do you think I could be doing wrong?

Fear not, you're not doing anything wrong.  The Copper's just need a little more juice to shine.  I've been able to listen to other IEM's at about 60% volume on my Touch, but with the Copper's it's closer to 80%.  You're not going to hurt them, they can handle everything your Cowon has and then some.  If I'm home, I run them through my PA2V2 amp, but when I'm mobile I just turn up the volume.  Relax and enjoy them..

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Some freqency responses just sound better when the volume is high. For low volume listening people generally recommend V-shaped FRs, munson fletcher curves apparently. I haven't heard the MTPC but according to the graphs they emphasize the bass, so you only only get the \ side a of a V, which means you still have to crank it up to hear everything else.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Some freqency responses just sound better when the volume is high. For low volume listening people generally recommend V-shaped FRs, munson fletcher curves apparently. I haven't heard the MTPC but according to the graphs they emphasize the bass, so you only only get the \ side a of a V, which means you still have to crank it up to hear everything else.

You're right about low volume listening. It's actually a pretty simple concept. At low volume our ears lose sensitivity to bass and treble frequencies, so with a flat frequency response both treble and bass end up recessed - sometimes significantly. But with a V shaped sound, at low volume the overemphasis on treble and bass ends up sounding just right.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

This is the wrong answer, it has nothing to do with what's being asked. The mtpcs are pretty balanced in a dynamic-driver way, that is not the issue.

Joey and Luco are right.

With my ibasso T3, the mtpcs sound great at lower volumes. Straight out of my ipod, they need about 70% volume to really start to shine.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Maybe I misinterpeted the OP wrong, but he said he needed to turn up the volume before he 'felt satisfied' - it's not an unreasonable interpetation to make. If what he means is different gain on different devices, then that's that.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Just a thought - not sure where you're based, but the J3 is volume capped if you choose 'Europe' when setting its region.  I made that mistake when I got mine and couldnt work out why the volume was so low. 

To change it, delete the 'Param' file in the root directory of the J3 in Windows, then switch the J3 off and back on again and it should default back to the startup screen, where you can choose America or somewhere non-european. 

If this doesn't apply to you, apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back