What advantages does the electrostatic sound has when compared to dynamic headphones sound and vice versa?
Sep 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 25
electrostats have generally better detail and speed, they dont muddy up the sound no matter how much/fast the signal coming through. the one big advantage of a dynamic is in potential bass, a dunamic can move a lot of air and give a big bass boom or thump.
modern high end dynamics are a lot closer to 'stats than they used to be. back in the 70s, 'stats were far beyond the clarity of any dynamic

keep in mind my electrostat experience is limited, but i have had a ton of dynamics and a few orthos (even one piezo!)

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 25
Surprises me why not more people take the plunge and match stats with a subwoofer. Best of both

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 25
Stats have more detail and are more accurate and neutral. Dynamic have more bass (but not necessarily more accurate) and are more visceral. Stats also have amazing treble extension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprises me why not more people take the plunge and match stats with a subwoofer. Best of both

Many electrostatic speakers use dynamic woofers.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 25
You don't need a subwoofer with stats. With the right pair and amp you can have plenty of bass.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 25
maybe both, but the O2 is said to have that plenty bass.
I was pleasantly surprised by the HE60 after all the descriptions I'd read. Not even close to a proper bass monster but very satisfying sound nonetheless. Great extension both ways, it's all just there.
That's the main difference to me, 'just there' sound against 'put there' sound.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 25
O2's have the best bass I have ever heard from a headphone, natural, precise, musical, articulate and with great impact. However if you are into artificial and exaggerated bass (bass head) they are not for you

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 25
the push-pull electrostatic motor is generally more linear than the PM/voice coil motor of dynamics and gives lower distortion - at least in charge control operation

also the electrostatic diaphragm is orders of magnitude lighter - to the point that air damping effectively suppresses the multiple mechanical modes that plague edge driven stiff radiators in dynamic cans at higher frequencies

lower displacement range however limits electrostatic SPL capability at lower frequencies compared to dynamics

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stats = hear more.
dynamics = feel more.

Good analogy.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

I have yet to find a sub woofer that matches the quality of bass I get with many of my headphones though. But then I don´t have the perfect room either
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 25
Actually I sometimes listen to my 404's via SRD7 MK2 with speakers/subwoofer. it sounds pretty cool. Better then either speakers or earspeakers alone.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

It's tough to get a sub that's quick enough to keep up with an electrostat. You usually have to go with a servo or other exotica. Otherwise, the sub won't integrate well and you'll notice the difference in phasing. Martin Logan made a one-off electrostatic subwoofer once. IIRC, it was the size of a sliding glass door and had some ridiculous amount of voltage (like 20kV) on the stators. I don't even want to think about it arcing.

As to the OP, electrostats give you a much faster transient response. The diaphragm is damn close to a massless driver - that's the ideal. You get some spring resonances because the diaphragm is tensioned, though. If you want near massless without the tension, a ribbon or AMT delivers. A few lunatics (whom I admire
smily_headphones1.gif
) have built ribbon headphones and Ergo makes an AMT. I've had a passion for ribbons and built a pair of ribbon speakers, so I'll eventually build a pair of ribbon headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back