what about new ATH headphones ws70 and ws50?
Mar 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

agaro

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've recently found that ATH has some new models ws70 and ws50 in their offer. So I'd like to ask you, if anyone has heard them? How do they compare to other 100$ bass-heavy headphones?

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
I am looking to buy WS70 but there is so little information I do not want to be a guinea pig and land with something not as good as I would want for the price tag.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WS70

Yeah, I saw the thread when I searched the forum for WS70, but it only shows some pics and does not really give any useful information about them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I saw the thread when I searched the forum for WS70, but it only shows some pics and does not really give any useful information about them.

Quote:

At zero hour, I would describe the WS70 in a sentence... A can with tight bass and nice highs.

Compared to my Sony XB700s, it has a tat lesser but "better managed" bass. And it feels like more details are present with the better highs.

It's not harsh or straight smack in the face like the Ultrasone Pro750 (not that I dislike the Ultrasone, it just reminds me of Peter Pinna).

Quote:

Now how well do they sit? I have fairly large ears, and fortunately they don't "sit" on my ears, rather they are "cupping" them. However, do note they are shallow in terms of ear space. Therefore after 3 hours of non-stop listening, my ears do start to feel a little sore.

Build quality. Other than the little nuisance I have, they are very well built indeed. Well weighted, and stiff. Not light or flimsy like the Denon D2000.

Clamping force is on the high side. They sit well and have a firm hold on my head. Hmmmm.......

Bass... It's tight, well managed and it hits you fairly hard. They come fast and decay fairly quickly. Comparing to my XB700, they don't go as low. Bass becomes audible from 5Hz onwards with the XB700, but for the WS70 I could only manage from 10Hz onwards.

Quote:

The ES7 got relegated to office duties... What do you reckon?

Serious talk now... Not that the ES7 is bad. I just like a little boost in the bass department. With my preference in music (electronic, rock), the WS70 was filling the gap the ES7 was lacking. And that was an important factor for me.

Can't say much for the rest, as I did not spend enough time comparing both. But if I have to do a blind test, I would have definitely picked the WS70 over the ES7.

That all seemed plenty helpful to me. Chances are you won't get much more than that. You rarely get much more than that for any comparisons, since everyone has different preferences in sound.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

That all seemed plenty helpful to me. Chances are you won't get much more than that. You rarely get much more than that for any comparisons, since everyone has different preferences in sound.

Have you already ordered them? I would like ESW9s, but since I live in a country with a lot of rain and dampness the wood would not take it well I believe. I have been thinking about getting these and somehow cannot decide.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you already ordered them? I would like ESW9s, but since I live in a country with a lot of rain and dampness the wood would not take it well I believe. I have been thinking about getting these and somehow cannot decide.

I'm not buying them
biggrin.gif

You could always get ES7s. They're supposed to be very good portables. From the review it seems the WS70 beats them, but they do cost more.

Or take the chance on the WS50s then write us a review so there's more info out there.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I'm not buying them
biggrin.gif

You could always get ES7s. They're supposed to be very good portables. From the review it seems the WS70 beats them, but they do cost more.

Or take the chance on the WS50s then write us a review so there's more info out there.

I'll be getting WS70s soon as looking at the build quality of ES7s and the fact that they are bettered by WS70s it will be a better buy.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 12
sorry to revive an old thread

it is just me or is it almost impossible to find someone who has the ws50's and/or a review for them? (mind you, im just making a statement, not a complaint!)
ive been busy trawling through headfi and other search engines trying to find some more information and reviews on them

i would have thought that since they've been out on the market for a little while now, someone may have completed a review already
seems i was wrong =)

so, in saying that, i decided to just go ahead and buy them. hopefully, i should receive them in the next couple of days

would anyone like me to post a very very noob review?
or anything particular things you would like addressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back