What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #13,801 of 14,566
I disagree on the Bayreuter. I was there more than a few times (like twice a year for over 30) and I find the German gemüthligheit that's forced into your arse very disturbing.
Even overly adapted for the American tourist.
Also, being built to please only Wagner doesn't do it any favors.
I never saw any opera in the US so cannot make any point about them.
I was however in every European opera house multiple times.
La Feniche and the Opéra Garnier are highest on my list.
And Amsterdam is splendid too.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #13,802 of 14,566
I saw Hoffman in Amsterdam - though I was still suffering from jet lag, it was a fun afternoon.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #13,805 of 14,566
I still need to put my speakers on either side of the upright piano, even with my TV plans being shelved for the moment. Do people prefer speaker stands or floating shelves for powered monitors?
Stands are better for positioning.

I got some nice ones made for my Vienna Acoustics by Tyler of Tyler Acoustics.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #13,806 of 14,566
It seems we are finally shipping the USB switchers which are the pre beta switching evaluation for the upcoming Urd. We had a software glitch which Dave has fixed and out they go. May all the beta testers try them with lots of USB inputs so we can get on to the beta of the Urds themselves. We are one step closer!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #13,807 of 14,566
The Met has variable sound and visiblity.

Vienna Staatsoper has a really good sound, and a less stilted norm of patrons. No broomsticks up their ass like Berlin or Paris. Neither are there sandwich munchers or farters like Milan.
Every seat in the Met is some sort of compromise. My favorite is the first row in the side parterre. The parterre have the only seats at the Met that let you in when you are late (or when Rusalka with Renee Fleming really started at 7:30 when you thought it started at 8). The first row has the best view but I have friends who think the back seats have a better sound.

I wonder if one of the reasons vienna state opera has better sound is because the pit is not as deep as the Met. The Met is also cavernous in comparison. Personally I like the buttery dynamic sound at Musikverein the most.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #13,808 of 14,566
I saved the worst for last. LA opera's Disney home sounds like ass. I would rather be chained to a 24 hour ride on “Its a Small World, After All” without a box cutters for relief. The old Dorothy Chandler Pavilion was soooooooooooooooo much better.

Sadly, I was at the Disney to hear some French guy play the organ there. For an encore they came out and handed him a piece of paper with a suggestion to base the encore on - it was 'It's a small world'. The guy about got up and left the theater. I was pretty damn embarrassed for him but he did extend it into decent music before he was done. I also thought that the organ lacked heft to its sound. Maybe they are just afraid to play more than 80 db or something.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #13,809 of 14,566
Enjoying my new unison bifrost - looking forward to having the transport and gadget in hand. KSE1500 is very pleasant paired with Wagner and a volume of Proust

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #13,810 of 14,566
Jun 14, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #13,812 of 14,566
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #13,813 of 14,566
So, I did it. To complement my Saga S and soon to be arriving Vidar (Wednesday if FedEx are right), I just grabbed the Bifrost 2 from B stock that landed today. Hope it is an upgrade on the Modius, which is already fantastic. Hope the wife doesn’t work out how much all this Schiit cost! I’ve also got an Asgard 2 that I picked up on eBay due to arrive soon.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #13,814 of 14,566
So, I did it. To complement my Saga S and soon to be arriving Vidar (Wednesday if FedEx are right), I just grabbed the Bifrost 2 from B stock that landed today. Hope it is an upgrade on the Modius, which is already fantastic. Hope the wife doesn’t work out how much all this Schiit cost! I’ve also got an Asgard 2 that I picked up on eBay due to arrive soon.
Let us know how you compare the Bifrost to the Modius please. I am considering the same upgrade to go with my Vidar and Lyr 3 (which I think sounds a lot better than my Saga+ as a preamp - which works for me because I only have the one USB input from my computer).

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #13,815 of 14,566
Let us know how you compare the Bifrost to the Modius please. I am considering the same upgrade to go with my Vidar and Lyr 3 (which I think sounds a lot better than my Saga+ as a preamp - which works for me because I only have the one USB input from my computer).
I will. I do think that the modius is excellent, so my guess is it will be a subtle difference. With the rolling back order, I felt I was safe getting B stock. Worst case is I get nearly what I paid for it on eBay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back