What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #13,606 of 14,566
I’m looking for a TV for all the opera broadcasts I’m hoping to watch. 55” should be plenty. What do people think of this? Is there a TV with better I/o?

https://www.costco.com/lg-55"-class---cx-series---4k-uhd-oled-tv---$100-allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100657327.html
The format of your screen should be relative to the distance you have from it when watching it.
There's some intelligent formula for that so I can't help you further but Google should find it.

May 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #13,607 of 14,566
I prefer my 60" Pioneer elite plasma to the newer tech I've viewed, but when this one dies, its over. The various LED designs can really pop images and colors but the plasma to my eyes is more "film like" as some would say.
I'm in a similar boat.... but instead of a nice big plasma, my baby is a 30" HD CRT. It doesn't have HDMI, but an HD Fury 2 added that, and paired with a DVDO Edge, I get all kinds of control over the picture, so I don't have any overscan. It's our family's primary TV, has logged thousands of hours, and I still love it. I got it in college (2003), and back then I lusted over the Sony XBR sets with the matching stands. I wish they still made the 34", I'm now able to easily afford what they were selling for new back then. Oh well, I guess at some point I'll have to go kicking and screaming to some new 4k tech...

May 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #13,608 of 14,566
I prefer my 60" Pioneer elite plasma to the newer tech I've viewed, but when this one dies, its over. The various LED designs can really pop images and colors but the plasma to my eyes is more "film like" as some would say.

My father has a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma. I used to love it—and generally prefer plasma tech to LCD/LED tech. OLED, however, is in a different league. Can't beat what perfect blacks and actual infinite contrast bring to the PQ table.

The "film-like" look is attributable to two things: motion resolution and color accuracy. Plasma screens generally had better motion resolution than LCD/LED, whose motion has been described by detractors as "soap opera effect" (a very good descriptor; you'll know it when you see it.) OLED have perfect motion resolution, which results in very natural movements. Color accuracy can be achieved on pretty much any modern television, either by hiring a professional calibrator or by purchasing the tools of the trade and doing it yourself. I used to do that back in the plasma days. Matter of fact, most modern TVs also come with at least one very accurate factory preset (in my LG OLED it's called "Film maker mode"; look up the measurements on the AVForums reviews and see how close they are to reference.)

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #13,609 of 14,566
Ah, motion artifacts, a pet peeve of mine. Yep, I do follow AVS forums just to keep myself in the loop. The question now is, who goes first, me or the TV.

May 6, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #13,610 of 14,566
I certainly will not be using the tv sound for anything other than news!

Hence my question about io. Optical is not ideal. Does Sony have coax? Bnc? AES ebu?

May 6, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #13,611 of 14,566
I certainly will not be using the tv sound for anything other than news!

Hence my question about io. Optical is not ideal. Does Sony have coax? Bnc? AES ebu?
I wish! You either make do with optical or use a sound processor to extract the audio stream from the HDMI

May 6, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #13,612 of 14,566
Would it sound better to put optical straight into yggy or hdmi into a mystery box and then into yggy? Do people have recommendations on mystery sound processing boxes?

May 6, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #13,613 of 14,566
Would it sound better to put optical straight into yggy or hdmi into a mystery box and then into yggy? Do people have recommendations on mystery sound processing boxes?
Do you want to hear everything that's on the TV display in 2-channel, regardless of how many channels of sound were present in the source material?

If the answer is "No, not ALWAYS," then you will need more than just an yggy.

However, I don't have enough info on currently available processing units to offer any suggestions.

Edit: this assumes that most people present in these forums aren't going to be satisfied with the SQ of the speakers built into the TV itself. But I haven't done any listening tests on recent gear to know how good they can be.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #13,616 of 14,566
That, and the user interface.

A friend has an LG OLED TV and the picture is fantastic. Unfortunately, every time it loses power all his settings must be redone. That alone is enough to make me look elsewhere.

JC
My Sony runs Android, if that's a plus or minus. For me, it's a plus as I've loaded Kodi onto it to watch my local movies.

May 6, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #13,617 of 14,566
Would it sound better to put optical straight into yggy or hdmi into a mystery box and then into yggy?
There's a website which I don't like who's owner's avatar is a geisha, I think. He has an article titled "A Deep Dive Into HDMI Audio Performance" also published in Widescreen Review Magazine 2014 apparently.

Judging from that article, run very far away from HDMI audio. I can only find old article but HDMI jitter is easily 10x S/PDIF's. Except in a Pioneer high end AVR where they were the same, lowish value.

I know @Baldr has low opinion of HDMI. Whether that's from its ass-like properties or ridiculous technical requirements and licensing, I don't know.

May 6, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #13,618 of 14,566
some of the audio streams are encoded in Dolby or DTS as broadcast, and not multi-channel PCM, so the Tv or some other "black box" will be needed to convert the stream to PCM at 44.1 or 48k multiples for your Yggy anyways. just try the optical first...

for Digital HDMI audio extractors, here are some

https://www.markertek.com/search-resultsnew.aspx?w=hdmi+audio+extractor&sitepref=1

(not sure they work on the HDMI audio return channels from the TV's HDMI out as when using the TV's built in tuner, but should work from the HDMI output of a set top cable decoder box)

I have bought from this company before, and they are a reliable place to buy from (but haven't bought any of the above HDMI extractors)

May 6, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #13,619 of 14,566
May 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #13,620 of 14,566
As stated many times here, toslink is the worse you can use.
BUT you may not have another choice because finding a decent hdmi-box isn't a simple matter.

Back to Callas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back