What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 22, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #13,546 of 14,564
That's someone not willing to take a stand. Foist the decision onto the person least capable of making it - the consumer.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #13,548 of 14,564
"In Mike We Trust"

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #13,550 of 14,564
I will be holding off on the Yggy until I can secure it with the classical card.
Mike wrote: (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-901#post-16305050)
If you like classical and jazz you will probably like my fave. If you like classic rock and music chronologically through grunge, you will like Dave’s. If you touch yourself obscenely when you look at almost certainly inaudible, yet thoroughly second to none measurements, you will like the third one. (Please understand one of the boards referred to is the stock board.)​

It's pretty clear to me which one is the classical card. I don't think you need to hold off.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #13,552 of 14,564
Well, Thursday evening seems to have arrived. As I write we await the complete kit of parts for the switch board (USB) for the prelim beta on the transport. I have been catching up on over a years worth of paperwork while I was hucced up sick - OMG I am just about there! As I work I have been listening to a very popular streamer, some lossless ones, (ass squared), USB drives plugged into computers (ass minus), and finally the URD. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Jerome Garcia and company playing Robert Hunter poetry set to music reminds me what an amazing opus they left: the American Beauty album. Gets me through paperwork.
Which reminds me that I failed to acknowledge the recent passing of Rusty Young who brought to Poco a multi-instrument genius. RIP.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #13,553 of 14,564
As I work I have been listening to a very popular streamer, some lossless ones, (ass squared), USB drives plugged into computers (ass minus), and finally the URD. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hey, Mike, I don't believe I've seen you talk about this earlier, but why do you think streamers don't satisfy? Something inherent to moving audio bits across a network, whether local or remote, that corrupts the signal path (e.g., coherence/jitter issues), or is it just that current hardware has not been sufficiently designed and optimized to support a superior level of quality for music reproduction? Cheers!

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #13,554 of 14,564
Hey, Mike, I don't believe I've seen you talk about this earlier, but why do you think streamers don't satisfy? Something inherent to moving audio bits across a network, whether local or remote, that corrupts the signal path (e.g., coherence/jitter issues), or is it just that current hardware has not been sufficiently designed and optimized to support a superior level of quality for music reproduction? Cheers!
It's likely due to a sub-par USB cable or the crappy OEM power supply that came with the streamer. (nudge-nudge wink-wink) :wink:

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #13,556 of 14,564
I am also curious if that listening was through a computer to the new Urd USB switcher or if it was from the transport.

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #13,557 of 14,564
Enjoying the Böhm Götterdämmerung. There's something ecstatic about Wagner's use of high C. He gives us one in the Walküre war cries, the love duets in Siegfried and Gotterdammerung, and in the Tristan Liebesnacht. (Does anyone recall others?) I say ecstatic because even though three out of four are partners expressing love, the war cries express are a very different kind of bond, though Wagner being Wagner, perhaps there is some sexual element to the Wotan-Brunnhilde relationship.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #13,558 of 14,564
A bit of transport (Urd) clarification follows:

Please forgive me if any of this seems redundant or condescending. Prior art transports require physical media in the form of a CD and convert it to S/PDIF output, either TOS, coax, or both. The Urd converts the physical media data to S/PDIF coax and USB. In addition there is an additional USB input so that the client may choose between said USB input or the CD playing in the transport. Therefore the input sockets are the USB (Unison) and the equivalent of a socket, the data on the CD which is playing. The output sockets are S/PDIF (coax) and USB (Unison).

Now the Unison USB input we know works with every USB output that Schiit users have. Making the USB out work with all USB inputs we could find was by far and away the most time consuming of the development process of the Unison USB input. On the URD we also have a Unison USB output. This faces a similar design challenge in that we need to make the Unison USB output work with all USB inputs we can find.

To make this process move along faster, we have built a simple USB switch, with two switchable Unison USB C inputs and one Unison USB C output. The idea is we send these out to Beta evaluators before we send out Beta transports to verify that they may work with as large a sample of D/A converters as possible. It will do little good if the transports’ USB out do not function with untested D/A converters.

Once we are satisfied that we work with most/all of the D/A converters in the wild. We may begin to send Urd Beta units out in the field.

I hope the above may be useful.

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 26, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #13,559 of 14,564
Enjoying the Böhm Götterdämmerung. There's something ecstatic about Wagner's use of high C. He gives us one in the Walküre war cries, the love duets in Siegfried and Gotterdammerung, and in the Tristan Liebesnacht. (Does anyone recall others?) I say ecstatic because even though three out of four are partners expressing love, the war cries express are a very different kind of bond, though Wagner being Wagner, perhaps there is some sexual element to the Wotan-Brunnhilde relationship.
I recently discovered an Oscar Wilde quote about Wagner, from The Picture of Dorian Gray. My opera-loving daughter concurred with it.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #13,560 of 14,564
A bit of transport (Urd) clarification follows:

The Urd converts the physical media data to S/PDIF coax and USB. In addition there is an additional USB input so that the client may choose between said USB input or the CD playing in the transport.
Urd is CD only, no possibility of loading a data CD with lots of songs on it to be played out the USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back