What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #13,097 of 14,566
I agree with you, happened the same to me, but probably a multibit dac already has lost the detail battle, the resolution battle. It's like is you tell me that you downloaded a 8K movie last night, 2000Gb, 8K resolution image, no compression, but you noticed no improvement over regular DVD when you play in on your 720p display...

Get a resolving setup, a natively mastered DSD album, a recording studio expensive speakers, and then come back and tell me what is your opinion on DSD. Get a german made RME DAC, and a gethain german speaekrs, listen to some DSD, and after that, let me know you don't see any benefit on DSD or can't hear a difference.
You have your opinion and a lot of other people have theirs. I’m not trying to have the best system in the world. A lot of people smarter than me disagree with your assumption that multi-bit can’t be or isn’t a higher resolution. I am not an expert but the more I have read about DSD, the more it seems like audio voodoo and less like a proper sounding format. I have a great set up with a native DSD player plus discs that were mastered in DSD. I am a musician and spend a lot of time around music. A red book cd is a more natural and precise sound.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #13,099 of 14,566
Agree with this ... except for the "Problem is" part.

Schiit chose to make DSD available to only the niche of people who wanted DSD, and chose to not make everybody else pay for technology that is peripheral at best to the way the vast majority of people listen to music. And it turns out that the number of people willing to "pay extra for DSD capabilities", when given an affordable high-quality choice, was vanishingly small.

Great choice by Schiit.

Edit/add: I have a small number of DSD files. They sound great. My ifiAudio iDSD plays them. But basically, I had to seek out those files specifically to have some DSD to audition. If any of my normal sources of music offers native DSD, I've not noticed.

I should have started the post without those words, my bad. (To be fair, I was replying to someone who feels that the lack of DSD is a problem)

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #13,102 of 14,566
I actually have a number of DSD (and SACD) CD titles but that's because I wanted the performances / re-masters and bought what was available. Of course I can only play the 2 channel layers but I remember experimenting with 4 channel back in the Pleistocene and eventually decided it was too gimmicky and didn't really get hall ambience/reverb right to my way of hearing it with concert music. Recently I've discovered some solid performances and great quality recordings on the Pentatone label. I'm perfectly happy with my CD's played back thru Yggdrasil.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #13,103 of 14,566
Users of mini-monitors and high-efficiency-single-driver-full-range speakers seem to prefer the Aegir, while those with magneplanars and other hard-to-drive speakers generally prefer the Vidar
For one I don't. I largely prefer the Aegir on the Quads.
Sounds better to my ears. Less power, true, but more refined.
Both Vidars and Aegirs powered by Yggdrasil A2 and Freya-S.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #13,104 of 14,566
DAC's that sell a lot and have DSD
And it is hardly ever used because there is very little pure DSD content. Most of the material started analogue or was PCM somewhere in the chain (mixing)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #13,106 of 14,566
for Freya S, do you prefer the passive, 1x or 4x gain modes?
I "need" the 4x gain mode because my speakers are low sensitivity.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #13,107 of 14,566
So if that's what you want, buy it.
They has no idea what they want, unless it is to troll this thread because they are too bored to do anything more productive. They probably also don't understand that DSD fits directly into delta-sigma, but almost all custom resistor array DACs (Holo Spring being a notable exception) that take DSD start by converting DSD to PCM. IOW, you can get cheap DSD on delta-sigma, but not on higher-end resistor array DACs. If someone is so obsessed with DSD, they can easily scratch the itch without bothering the rest of us who have way too much great PCM recordings to listen to on excellent DACs — including Schiit's multibit offerings.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #13,108 of 14,566
They has no idea what they want, unless it is to troll this thread because they are too bored to do anything more productive. They probably also don't understand that DSD fits directly into delta-sigma, but almost all custom resistor array DACs (Holo Spring being a notable exception) that take DSD start by converting DSD to PCM. IOW, you can get cheap DSD on delta-sigma, but not on higher-end resistor array DACs. If someone is so obsessed with DSD, they can easily scratch the itch without bothering the rest of us who have way too much great PCM recordings to listen to on excellent DACs — including Schiit's multibit offerings.
Don't be too harsh on them.
We (old stock geezers) whom have been a guest on this forum for over 500 years have a different information background than the newcomers who do not care to read the thread and realize their post is the thousandth-and-one same unnecessary statement without any useful depth.
They scratch an itch and think it a more intelligent one the Schiit Gorilla can come up with.
We can only shake our heads and ignore it just as the people at Schiit, I'm sure, do.

@Lolito: I fail to understand why you're generating a problem that's not really there.
Having two dedicated DAC's is no rarity.
Tell me the name of your cheap DAC and I tell you if you're listening to DSD at all.
What you don't do here: Being rude to people or the Schiit brand and/or disqualifying someones optimal way to float ones boat.
I always listen to music dressed in a purple cat suit that squeezes the nuts at just the right force to give me extra "High-Awareness". I'm sure you would like another colour. I don't mind. Just don't bother me for my choices.
It's really simple.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #13,109 of 14,566
Don't be too harsh on them.
We (old stock geezers) whom have been a guest on this forum for over 500 years have a different information background than the newcomers who do not care to read the thread and realize their post is the thousandth-and-one same unnecessary statement without any useful depth.
They scratch an itch and think it a more intelligent one the Schiit Gorilla can come up with.
We can only shake our heads and ignore it just as the people at Schiit, I'm sure, do.

@Lolito: I fail to understand why you're generating a problem that's not really there.
Having two dedicated DAC's is no rarity.
Tell me the name of your cheap DAC and I tell you if you're listening to DSD at all.
What you don't do here: Being rude to people or the Schiit brand and/or disqualifying someones optimal way to float ones boat.
I always listen to music dressed in a purple cat suit that squeezes the nuts at just the right force to give me extra "High-Awareness". I'm sure you would like another colour. I don't mind. Just don't bother me for my choices.
It's really simple.
Can't Do Purple. Reminds too much of Barney. It is has been 15 years but the memory is still traumatic.

Oct 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #13,110 of 14,566
It's really simple.

Sounds like a live-action adaptation of "Cats", better than the one I have been hearing about last year :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back