What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 23, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #12,556 of 14,566
I watched "Akhnaten" this past weekend.
:anguished:
A woman made me do it.

It's not "Tosca"

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #12,559 of 14,566
I watched "Akhnaten" this past weekend.
:anguished:
A woman made me do it.

It's not "Tosca"

Indeed it is not - It is different - I find it EXTREMELY moving - then again have always loved Philip Glass - guy can do no wrong... specially when he does that "romantic minimalism" he adopted for some projects - that style makes me melt...

Have always thought about the significance of the ending of Akhnaten - the tourist guide thing - I have come to the conclusion - Akhnaten's reforms were THE religious and political conflict of their time, same as many issues these days - yet, all that is lost in the sands of time. Same as our conflicts will be lost, reduced to a few remnants of what we were...
Try to find THAT in Tosca! :D

v

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #12,561 of 14,566
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #12,562 of 14,566
Jun 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #12,563 of 14,566
Well, I am sitting here listening to Wagner’s Siegfried. Siegfried just kissed Brunnhilde and woke her ass up. After another half hour of singing they will be united in bliss and love at the end of the opera. The stage will then be set for Gotterdammerung, the end of the world. I will have to follow this with some Lucinda Williams for proper cheer.

So what does this have to do with Schiit? Or for that matter, its better competitors? How about the fact that the chief designers produce a by-and large unique sound. The Schiit digital sound is by and large a product of what I like. The influence was cemented when I met my hero designer, Peter Walker in the bar of the Blackstone Hotel in the very early 1970s, when CES shows were still in Chicago. Mr. Walker was the main design guy at Acoustical Mfg. Co., makers of the Quad Electrostatic Speaker. He explained to me that the purpose of a music reproduction system was to do just that – to reproduce the sound – to come as close as possible to the sound of the original.

Those who know my preferences are aware of my preference for multibit DACs as being by far the best reproducers of recorded music. So why even bother with delta sigma (ds) DACs? Well, they are cheap. Remember, Schiit has DACs under a couple of hundred, even under one hundred bucks. The first ds dac I built, was astonishingly insipid, out of the Crystal 4328 series. 1989-90 or so it was. If you read the technical papers, there were really elegant math and totally cool design features. Like a beautiful woman with no heart. The key was there was no need to learn anything, just build it from the cookbook and copy their PCB layout. That’s why there are so many of them out there. Hey, I have a couple of them in Schiit production myself. They are all both cheap and are distinctly not copies of someone else’s engineering. My rules are if I can’t build a better sounding multibit DAC, that is where ds dacs belong. Or maybe in surround decoders which I will never build anyway.. The DSD,etc. is more of the ds same with really cooler math, more reduced bits quicker, and the beautiful women start to look more and more like anime.

I prefer the multibit analogy: a still beautiful woman with maybe a mole on her face that gets it on like the Easter Bunny (Apologies to John Prine). That’s why whenever it doesn’t have to be cheap, cheap, cheap or in a surround sound decoder, I go for multibit. Sounds more like the original to me.

Oh, the transport - We are awaiting more info from the micro maker to solve a persistent bug in the host (usb output). It is diverting to watch Ivana’s enthusiasm in solving problems. Oh, and finally, the end of the world (Gotterdammerung) has begun.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 23, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #12,565 of 14,566
Well, I am sitting here listening to Wagner’s Siegfried. Siegfried just kissed Brunnhilde and woke her ass up. After another half hour of singing they will be united in bliss and love at the end of the opera. The stage will then be set for Gotterdammerung, the end of the world. I will have to follow this with some Lucinda Williams for proper cheer.

So what does this have to do with Schiit? Or for that matter, its better competitors? How about the fact that the chief designers produce a by-and large unique sound. The Schiit digital sound is by and large a product of what I like. The influence was cemented when I met my hero designer, Peter Walker in the bar of the Blackstone Hotel in the very early 1970s, when CES shows were still in Chicago. Mr. Walker was the main design guy at Acoustical Mfg. Co., makers of the Quad Electrostatic Speaker. He explained to me that the purpose of a music reproduction system was to do just that – to reproduce the sound – to come as close as possible to the sound of the original.

Those who know my preferences are aware of my preference for multibit DACs as being by far the best reproducers of recorded music. So why even bother with delta sigma (ds) DACs? Well, they are cheap. Remember, Schiit has DACs under a couple of hundred, even under one hundred bucks. The first ds dac I built, was astonishingly insipid, out of the Crystal 4328 series. 1989-90 or so it was. If you read the technical papers, there were really elegant math and totally cool design features. Like a beautiful woman with no heart. The key was there was no need to learn anything, just build it from the cookbook and copy their PCB layout. That’s why there are so many of them out there. Hey, I have a couple of them in Schiit production myself. They are all both cheap and are distinctly not copies of someone else’s engineering. My rules are if I can’t build a better sounding multibit DAC, that is where ds dacs belong. Or maybe in surround decoders which I will never build anyway.. The DSD,etc. is more of the ds same with really cooler math, more reduced bits quicker, and the beautiful women start to look more and more like anime.

I prefer the multibit analogy: a still beautiful woman with maybe a mole on her face that gets it on like the Easter Bunny (Apologies to John Prine). That’s why whenever it doesn’t have to be cheap, cheap, cheap or in a surround sound decoder, I go for multibit. Sounds more like the original to me.

Oh, the transport - We are awaiting more info from the micro maker to solve a persistent bug in the host (usb output). It is diverting to watch Ivana’s enthusiasm in solving problems. Oh, and finally, the end of the world (Gotterdammerung) has begun.
Problem solving skills are the difference between scientists and engineers. Give 'em hell Mike!

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #12,566 of 14,566
I finished the Moralt ring. Gertrude Grob Prandl has this wonderful bell like vibrato that reminds me a bit of Cristina Deutekom singing O zittre nicht. The interesting thing there is that so many golden age sopranos married vocal agility to Wagnerian power. Leider and Marjorie Lawrence are two others - Eva turner as well, certainly - with suppleness we haven’t seen in Nilsson, Varnay, etc. I’m not sure why the bel canto plus heldensopran mixture was so apparently Common before the war and so rare now. But I note it.

Gunther treptow is a solid tenor. Not remarkable as Lorenz or Melchior but as serviceable as the soft Windgassen.

the sound is very very good for the 1940s.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #12,567 of 14,566
I finished the Moralt ring. Gertrude Grob Prandl has this wonderful bell like vibrato that reminds me a bit of Cristina Deutekom singing O zittre nicht. The interesting thing there is that so many golden age sopranos married vocal agility to Wagnerian power. Leider and Marjorie Lawrence are two others - Eva turner as well, certainly - with suppleness we haven’t seen in Nilsson, Varnay, etc. I’m not sure why the bel canto plus heldensopran mixture was so apparently Common before the war and so rare now. But I note it.

Gunther treptow is a solid tenor. Not remarkable as Lorenz or Melchior but as serviceable as the soft Windgassen.

the sound is very very good for the 1940s.
Cristina Deutekom!
Wow did not expect that to read here. Grew up seeing her on dutch TV when there were only two channels, so i must have been a boy boy in peejees on the huge couch.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #12,568 of 14,566
He explained to me that the purpose of a music reproduction system was to do just that – to reproduce the sound – to come as close as possible to the sound of the original.

Love this, Mike... Thank you.

When I first got into hifi in the early 90's I had the pleasure to speak directly with Richard Vandersteen... He said the same thing.

All of his designs were tuned based on original recordings he made of live performances with the goal of reproducing that sound as well as possible... A lot of his experience and tuning work focused on phase and timing NOT just frequency... Which also led to a fairly unique subwoofer implementation. He also produced very affordable speakers considered by many to be state of the art at prices well below the 'competition' with comparable performance...

Given my hifi 'origin' story, pry no wonder I love what you guys do and how you do it.

That, and used to have my offices in Valencia just down the street from where yours are now and very familiar with the building where your first office space was :)

A sincere THANK YOU, to both you and Jason

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #12,569 of 14,566
OK... I'm a geek and have been doing a live reading of Lord of the Rings during the Covid pandemic...

Came across this randomly tonight and found it mesmerizing... Has a celtic folk feel with a seasoning of gregorian chant.

Apparently he has 2.5M you tube subscribers.

3misty-mountains-2_1296x.jpg

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #12,570 of 14,566
Love this, Mike... Thank you.

When I first got into hifi in the early 90's I had the pleasure to speak directly with Richard Vandersteen... He said the same thing.

All of his designs were tuned based on original recordings he made of live performances with the goal of reproducing that sound as well as possible... A lot of his experience and tuning work focused on phase and timing NOT just frequency... Which also led to a fairly unique subwoofer implementation. He also produced very affordable speakers considered by many to be state of the art at prices well below the 'competition' with comparable performance...

Given my hifi 'origin' story, pry no wonder I love what you guys do and how you do it.

That, and used to have my offices in Valencia just down the street from where yours are now and very familiar with the building where your first office space was :)

A sincere THANK YOU, to both you and Jason

Jim Thiel also talked about time alignment, and making sure the first wave from the drivers arrived at the ear at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back