What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #11,371 of 14,566
M any people love their superautomatics, but to me they are the Keurig of the espresso world. :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #11,372 of 14,566
For $27 I wouldn’t expect particularly good...anything.

Super automatic is great if you enjoy getting it repaired and mediocre espresso drinks. It will never compete with a semi automatic machine either in durability or in drink quality. You have no control over grind setting, or tamp strength, or quantity of grounds per shot. Getting the used puck out of the internal portafilter is always messy, and requires frequent emptying and cleaning. It will break down often. Yes, the lure of having a robot barista who can make you endless macchiatos is enticing, but you foreclose on acquiring a skill and settle for mediocrity—neither of which is especially worthwhile.

That is "expectation bias" based solely upon price. :money_mouth:
Being "Affordable" means the best value for the money.
In some cases the cheapest is pure junk, and the best may not be the most expensive.
Considering I am grinding a 1/2 cup of beans twice a day, the $27 version will be a "last a lifetime"purchase, unless it breaks, in which I didn't have much invested, so I will get a $49 one the next time.
Still a better purchase than a single Telefunken ECC88 for the Vali 2.

Welcome back from Europe...

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #11,374 of 14,566
Any updates on @Baldr 's health? I sure do miss his dropping in and posting here. Hope he is doing better and well on the way to being his old self.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #11,376 of 14,566
Are we ever our old self?

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #11,381 of 14,566
A bit off topic but; I have 2 Yggdrasil's, an A model and a B model. I'm planning on getting the A box updated. But after seeing some discussion of Unison USB, will this also be a retrofit?
I'd rather wait and get it all done at once. Or, will it be a separate box?
I'm guessing only Mike knows the answer.
Thanks

I have been holding back on new purchases, as they have dangled this "better than SPDIF" USB solution for almost a year. I decided to get the proven Gen 5 tech in an EITR to replace my Wyrd--and I think the Wyrd is wonderful--and if Unison becomes a reality, we will look into it.
I would hold off on shipping the Yggy for mods until all the new-fangled options are available.

While I know that the Marketing side of Jason's thinking knows that mere rumors can set off a frenzy, likewise, teasing a new and improved version of anything causes me to want to wait.

Everything sounds great right now--so if something new comes down the pike, my calculus changes. I am moving on an "old" Saga, as a half-price sale close-out. The "new" Saga+ doesn't seem to justify double the price. But that is me...

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #11,382 of 14,566
My dad used to say, “I never was the man I used to be.”

I told my girlfriend I only drank a couple of beers last weekend. Then I turned into a completely different man, who drank all the rest of them.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #11,383 of 14,566
I have been holding back on new purchases, as they have dangled this "better than SPDIF" USB solution for almost a year. I decided to get the proven Gen 5 tech in an EITR to replace my Wyrd--and I think the Wyrd is wonderful--and if Unison becomes a reality, we will look into it.
IMO a good decision. The Gen5 EITR blows away the Wyrd ... you will love it.
Whenever the Gen6 Unison is a reality, we will all line up together to love it :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #11,384 of 14,566
IMO a good decision. The Gen5 EITR blows away the Wyrd ... you will love it.
Whenever the Gen6 Unison is a reality, we will all line up together to love it :)
As I understand it, the Unison will be incorporated in devices, not an upgrade on a card...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back