What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 31, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #11,356 of 14,566
I'd recommend the Capresso Infinity for an excellent low-cost replacement.

JC

Emphatic second of that!

I had the Cuisinart as well. The Capresso, in comparison, is leagues ahead. You will not be disappointed.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #11,357 of 14,566
I'd recommend the Capresso Infinity for an excellent low-cost replacement.

JC

+1 on the capreso. True burr grinder, with geared motor for slower speed. The only issue I have is rotating the storage cup adjusts the grind, which makes it easy for me to control, but also makes it easy for others to mis-adjust as they move it on the counter. And if I rotate it too far to the coarse end, I seem to trip an interlock that keeps the motor from engaging.

When operated properly, it makes a good even grind, and has served me well for years without any real problems, and didn't break the bank.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #11,358 of 14,566
+1 on the capreso. True burr grinder, with geared motor for slower speed. The only issue I have is rotating the storage cup adjusts the grind, which makes it easy for me to control, but also makes it easy for others to mis-adjust as they move it on the counter. And if I rotate it too far to the coarse end, I seem to trip an interlock that keeps the motor from engaging.

When operated properly, it makes a good even grind, and has served me well for years without any real problems, and didn't break the bank.

Sounds like a deal given it is only about $100.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #11,360 of 14,566
My only word of warning with the Capresso is be sure you’re using it in the intended country with the intended outlet power. If it’s expecting 110 and you give it 220, it’ll fail quickly! Speaking from experience. I used an adapter I thought would take care of it but it died after a week. Could have been a bum machine but I suspect it was the power.

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #11,361 of 14,566
0C7CD614-6A95-4C72-B7C7-9C42BBA02CD5.jpeg
I tell you it’s a bit of doe but super automatic is the way to go.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #11,362 of 14,566
A bit off topic but; I have 2 Yggdrasil's, an A model and a B model. I'm planning on getting the A box updated. But after seeing some discussion of Unison USB, will this also be a retrofit?
I'd rather wait and get it all done at once. Or, will it be a separate box?
I'm guessing only Mike knows the answer.
Thanks

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #11,363 of 14,566
A bit off topic but; I have 2 Yggdrasil's, an A model and a B model. I'm planning on getting the A box updated. But after seeing some discussion of Unison USB, will this also be a retrofit?
Thanks

FWIR, it will be in the same case with the DAC.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #11,364 of 14,566
I need a new grinder soon - the cheap Cuisinart is on its last legs (dull blade).

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FSZAWZY

I just purchased this unit, and for the price, it is hard to beat.
The reviews are positive, with a few exceptions--like the guy who wants a grinder that doesn't cause a dusting of coffee power on his counter, seriously.
Time will tell if is it durable, but so far so good.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #11,365 of 14,566
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #11,366 of 14,566
Thanks
The Unison USB card replaced the installed USB card.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #11,369 of 14,566
For $27 I wouldn’t expect particularly good...anything.

Super automatic is great if you enjoy getting it repaired and mediocre espresso drinks. It will never compete with a semi automatic machine either in durability or in drink quality. You have no control over grind setting, or tamp strength, or quantity of grounds per shot. Getting the used puck out of the internal portafilter is always messy, and requires frequent emptying and cleaning. It will break down often. Yes, the lure of having a robot barista who can make you endless macchiatos is enticing, but you foreclose on acquiring a skill and settle for mediocrity—neither of which is especially worthwhile.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #11,370 of 14,566
I’ll stop you right there. The Jura I had for 12 years and yes an 0 ring leaked on the water tank. Needs replacing but I got a replacement for our new kitchen this summer. Kept the old one for our other kitchen downstairs. Concerning quality, I’m no aficionado but everyone who tries loves it and it’s simplicity. I’m sure there a tradeoff but I wouldn’t know.
When I was at a 5 star resort they had a monster Jura that’s what turned me on to them
But to each there own, they are very reliable. Easy to clean. You do need to buy cleaning tablets.
Oh grind strength is adjustable, tamping no, it’s auto
There lots of pie out there, lots of different pie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back