What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #10,861 of 14,566
252385FF-E796-4333-B02A-8E8B102692E3.jpeg

Had a great cocktail yesterday at Victoria bar. (Ahem, more like two and a bit.) The practice of whipping out cigarettes inside at 10pm was, of course, not to my taste, but the awakening to other cultural mores was an especially rude one as I was planning to leave sharply at 10, but people lit up at 9:54, when I had half a cocktail remaining.

The Italians banned indoor smoking awhile ago, though cozzi must know the details much better than I do—the joke being that they finally had enough with the dry cleaning bills.

If I move to Berlin, it will be neither for the bars nor the clubs, rest assured—a borderline incomprehensible statement from any other millennial.

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #10,862 of 14,566
Tickets for 28 SFJAZZ shows between now and next May. And I may get a few more along the way, as well as the occasional Stanford, Kuumbwa, Yoshi's show. Then there's SF Symphony, which we'll try to catch at least a few times. So much music, so little time!
been to the sf orch, it was a good concert except for a rude isle dude who snapped at us for not turning off our phones fast enough.....nice city, lots to see and do. Some top notch if not top price restaurants there....French laundry, saison, coi....

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #10,864 of 14,566
Had to have a listen.
Amazing artist, unfortunately this is my "I'd rather kill myself " kind of music :weary:
Had to listen to some Billie Eilish to brighten myself up. :slight_smile:

I must admit when I first heard her I thought some of it sounded like "screaming with style". Did not like it. But as time went on I realized she had amazing control over her voice. I also really like the piano work heard on her recordings.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #10,865 of 14,566
Arrived at 9 am this morning, my Mueller stainless steel/ceramic burr hand cranked bean grinder, and some Lavazza whole beans from our trusty Amazon. A full grinder yields three cups of delicious coffee-maker coffee. Like any endeavor done the first time, I didn't RTFM, so I learned how to adjust the burr grinder to my desired grind by trial and error. Thank you, fellow coffee friends, for your advice and recommendation. My Coffee World changed for the better this morning. Ciao!

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #10,866 of 14,566
Arrived at 9 am this morning, my Mueller stainless steel/ceramic burr hand cranked bean grinder, and some Lavazza whole beans from our trusty Amazon. A full grinder yields three cups of delicious coffee-maker coffee. Like any endeavor done the first time, I didn't RTFM, so I learned how to adjust the burr grinder to my desired grind by trial and error. Thank you, fellow coffee friends, for your advice and recommendation. My Coffee World changed for the better this morning. Ciao!

Lavazza beans are probably at least 1 or 2 months old by the time they wind their way through the distribution chain.
Your next steps are to out for locally/fresh/craft roasted beans, roasted say in the last week or two, and another whole world opens up :)
Most of the boutique roasters put a "roasted on" date on the pack, instead of a best before, so it's usually easy to tell (as well, you can ask them!)

Jun 13, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,867 of 14,566
On our wonderful bargain Amazon Australia these are AU$64 + AU$10 postage (US$51) vs US$16.97 on your Amazon.
Using the fame of Amazon to rip off Aussies is a bit of a thing unfortunately. :angry:

edit: Or ... the same design from Ebay (SE Asian?), AU stock, for < AU$17 posted :confused:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #10,869 of 14,566
Lavazza beans are probably at least 1 or 2 months old by the time they wind their way through the distribution chain.
Your next steps are to out for locally/fresh/craft roasted beans, roasted say in the last week or two, and another whole world opens up :)
Most of the boutique roasters put a "roasted on" date on the pack, instead of a best before, so it's usually easy to tell (as well, you can ask them!)

I have a friend that is a custom roaster and quite an expert on the beans. I just bought a Kilo of Lavazza because my local Walmart had no whole beans, and I remember in Europe, that Lavazza was a brand you would see advertised. It is good, much better than ground coffee with unknown provenance, and it was convenient as both arrived within two days. I doubt I will be buying beans through Amazon again, as I remember buying freshly roasted beans from years ago. Alas, that vendor got too big, tried to be Starbucks to Charlotte, and folded.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #10,870 of 14,566
I must admit when I first heard her I thought some of it sounded like "screaming with style". Did not like it. But as time went on I realized she had amazing control over her voice. I also really like the piano work heard on her recordings.
Aaron Diehl on the piano. Worth checking out his "Space Time Continuum" album. But he's best live, especially with CMcLS. They did a fun show at SFJAZZ last season.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #10,871 of 14,566
Portuguese Fado new to me.
Had a bit of a listen to Amália Rodrigues and then Carminho-Perdóname and some others (Carlos Ramos, Maria Teresa de Noronha, Herminia Silva and Alfredo Marceneiro ...),
don't mind that at all, sounds genuine, quite soulful. :thumbsup:

I like the Blues, don't like what I feel as soulless polish, like some jazz singers, opera and ballet dancing.

Yeah, I know ... me philistine
Fado is beautiful, nothing like mourning sailors who fail to return!

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #10,872 of 14,566
Fado is beautiful, nothing like mourning sailors who fail to return!
Dunno, can sound almost necrophiliac to some of us who grew up with it sometimes. In contrast, for me the blues has a positive drive even in the deepest dumps. In our Portuguese born and raised household, there are very few fado (or fado-based) works that we enjoy fully without cringing: anything by Cristina Branco, Sara Tavares (who interpolates between fado and Cabo Verde music), and the superb guitar instrumentals of the late Carlos Paredes.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #10,874 of 14,566
I have a friend that is a custom roaster and quite an expert on the beans. I just bought a Kilo of Lavazza because my local Walmart had no whole beans, and I remember in Europe, that Lavazza was a brand you would see advertised. It is good, much better than ground coffee with unknown provenance, and it was convenient as both arrived within two days. I doubt I will be buying beans through Amazon again, as I remember buying freshly roasted beans from years ago. Alas, that vendor got too big, tried to be Starbucks to Charlotte, and folded.

Agree with both - Lavazza is a good mainsteam brand and far better than many alternatives :)

Enjoy your new found coffee love! Another rabbit hole... I think I might have too many brewing kits - Vietnamese Drip, Aeropress, Hario Syphon, Hario Cold Drip, Mocha Pot, French Press, Breville Dual Boiler Espresso, 3-in-1 sachets from asia along with a Hario Ceramic Hand Grinder and Breville Smart Grinder ... never ending are these hobbies

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #10,875 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back