What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #9,331 of 14,566
I arrived back home from RMAF and an extended week of National Park visiting in Southern Utah over the weekend. Wow! Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Canyonlands. The capper was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Simply stunning. Almost argues intelligent universe design.

BIG snippppp

Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!
That entire area is magical.
Between Bryce, the north rim, the colors can simply be stunning, as in jaw droppingly beautiful.
There was this time, when I came around a corner, with the sun setting in the west, and the moon was rising in the east, at the same time, in Bryce.
The color palate on display that presented itself before me was beyond stunning, and is indelibly etched in my minds eye.

I nearly dropped the bike as the scene unfolded before me.
I didn't know that those colors were even possible.

Yeah that is a magical area indeed.

JJ
ps and the north rim is ≈60 miles* (30 in and 30 out) of twisties and switch backs and for those with a 2 wheeled bent, bucket list material for sure.
*if memory serves.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #9,332 of 14,566
tenor.gif

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #9,334 of 14,566
I arrived back home from RMAF and an extended week of National Park visiting in Southern Utah over the weekend. Wow! Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Canyonlands. The capper was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Simply stunning. Almost argues intelligent universe design.

So back here at Schiit setting up the order of the cast parts for the Sol. (Someone asked if we include a dustcover – Sorry, no. There are folks on ebay who custom fabricate them, albeit for mucho $$$.) We need to go to the foundry to work out some cosmetic aspects of said cast parts. Then we will be at the point where everything should be on order for the Sol. I stand by first quarter 2019 delivery.

Next on the horizon will be the transport, the music processor/DAC front end, and a (tease, tease) top secret apparatus for the second quarter next year. The transport needs a bit of programming from Ivana, a button/control processor which is a major imbedded step towards the Schiit Pie, and a layout of the signal processing section. Call that second/third quarter 2019.

The music processor is a bit further out. The gadget engineering/proof of concept is done. I will be soon playing with an expander to see if it feasible in a lack of sonic fuctivity sense. The key is independent unlimit/expansion params which could be a giant whet dream. The only way to judge is to do it.

The new USB is done through Beta. A major caveat is that it is our first USB section and will need quite a bit of Beta eval since I want to ensure it really will work with any equipment, any time, and anywhere. More will be revealed.

So all of this Schiit is being worked on – should come out in this order:

1. Sol.

2. Transport

3. That which cannot be uttered.

4. Music processor/Swiss Army Knife/DAC front end; Hell, I don’t know What to call it.

Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!

Thanks for the update Mike, sounds to be an interesting year for Schiit!

How does one become a Beta tester???

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #9,335 of 14,566
We're gonna need a bigger rack!! :wink:
I was just thinking that yesterday. Given the fact that I already have 2 Vidars, I was thinking about how to squeeze in 2 Aegirs for some quad amp action!

Anyone aware of any Gain/Phase issues as to why I should not do this?

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #9,336 of 14,566
I was just thinking that yesterday. Given the fact that I already have 2 Vidars, I was thinking about how to squeeze in 2 Aegirs for some quad amp action!

Anyone aware of any Gain/Phase issues as to why I should not do this?

Are you meaning to Bi-amp? If so that would be an interesting experiment. I imagine running Vidar on the Woofers and Aegir on the mids/highs would be a pretty impressive setup, if my towers were bi-ampable I'd definitely give it a try...

I'm going to replace my L/R Vidar with a pair of Aegir for 2 channel, but I'll keep the 3rd Vidar for center duty.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #9,337 of 14,566
Can you already lift a corner of the veil and tell us which laser/spin unit you are going to use?
Front- or toploader?
I hope they go for as few moving parts as possible. Top loadingsith a mechanical click anchoring the disk in place. I find it heartbreaking seeing the damage done to my library’s CD collection. The scratches on the discs’ shinysurface get so bad that even with gentle microcloth buffing and using EAC (instead of my preferred Foobar2000 to rip a copy), tracks get lost.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #9,338 of 14,566
I hope they go for as few moving parts as possible. Top loadingsith a mechanical click anchoring the disk in place. I find it heartbreaking seeing the damage done to my library’s CD collection. The scratches on the discs’ shinysurface get so bad that even with gentle microcloth buffing and using EAC (instead of my preferred Foobar2000 to rip a copy), tracks get lost.
If CD's get too scratched on the shiny side I always polish them with tooth paste.
Works great.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #9,339 of 14,566
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #9,340 of 14,566
Rinse and spit?

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #9,341 of 14,566
If CD's get too scratched on the shiny side I always polish them with tooth paste.
Works great.
Without a green scrubpad, eh (I still remember some ballsy customer scuba diver walk into a dive shop and complain about a scratched facemask... idiot).
Just be sure to rinse well before putting back into the player. :)

Rinse and spit?
At first I thought you all were bullshiiting me. But, I do use Aquafresh on my tempered-glass diving goggles & underwater slate. Instead of ruining taxpayer-paid library material, I’ll dig up an AOL or COMPUSERVE disc & gently try it out.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #9,342 of 14,566
No BS. Toothpaste works well as a low-abrasive cleaner. But you do need to use plenty of water to rinse and then dry thoroughly before playing the disc.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #9,344 of 14,566

All of these parks are wonderful and well worth visiting. Zion is one of my favorites - it's kind of small but it's really pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back