What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #8,806 of 14,566
Well, no, I don't think those switches are worth what they sell for and I don't think they do anything on the high impedance noise front. You don't need audio grade caps in an Ethernet switch. What a joke. There is no audio to the switch. As far as the switch is concerned, there are just data packets. I would look at the inexpensive NETGEAR GS108. If you connect the outer barrel of its DC power plug to ground it drastically reduces the high impedance noise the switch passes on. The switch fantastic if you do this and it costs less than $50 US.

I don't think that is the case. First, there is no "audiopart" with Ethernet. Second, the Netgear switch I mention above passes on very little noise if setup as I describe. I have not seen any test that shows anything that beats the Netgear for low noise with UTP. Don't use STP, by the way.

Mike liked my post above so maybe that indicates what Mike thinks.

Based on what John Swenson, who is designing the switch for UpTone Audio, has shown and is saying, the Netgear is great. His new switch will probably do better. But, will there be an audible difference? Unknown.....
OK, I have that switch so will make it happen as you described tomorrow by daylight.
Thanks for the info.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #8,807 of 14,566
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #8,809 of 14,566
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #8,812 of 14,566
Shhhhhh!
Don't poke the bears
DWtD_Bear_Poke.gif

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #8,813 of 14,566
Outside of an improved power supply to reduce noise, about the only things I would see of benefit in a network switch that could improve audio is QoS (Quality of Service priority packet scheduling for audio and video streams) and possibly Jumbo Frames to reduce CPU overhead in building and tearing down of packets. Of course that requires support by both the sending and receiving device. Anything else seems a little like 'fairy dust'.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #8,815 of 14,566
I tried. The wait time is over 90 minutes. Seems everyone is calling them! :D

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #8,816 of 14,566
I asked UpTone Audio for an update and got the following answer:
Dear Mr. Cozzi Tinin:
Thank you for your interest in our forthcoming EtherREGEN. For audio purposes this Ethernet switch will be superior to all the other modified switches currently offered (by folks like Paul Pang, AQVOX, TheLinearSoution, etc.). It is a complete new design with every element of isolation, clocking, and power considered.
Like all UpTone products, it will provide extraordinary performance with a price that is a low as we can make it and still fit into our standard profit model (which is generally 2x total build cost). We do not have dealers, so there is no dealer margin mark-up in the retail price. That said, there are some costly parts being used, and while I have yet to tally the total parts cost, I expect that the price will be in the $500 range (not less than $450 and certainly not more than $600; I’d be happy with $495, though if parts add up too much it could be $550).
Based on current development status, we think release in November of this year is most likely.
Very best regards,
Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #8,817 of 14,566
I asked UpTone Audio for an update and got the following answer:
Dear Mr. Cozzi Tinin:
Thank you for your interest in our forthcoming EtherREGEN. For audio purposes this Ethernet switch will be superior to all the other modified switches currently offered (by folks like Paul Pang, AQVOX, TheLinearSoution, etc.). It is a complete new design with every element of isolation, clocking, and power considered.
Like all UpTone products, it will provide extraordinary performance with a price that is a low as we can make it and still fit into our standard profit model (which is generally 2x total build cost). We do not have dealers, so there is no dealer margin mark-up in the retail price. That said, there are some costly parts being used, and while I have yet to tally the total parts cost, I expect that the price will be in the $500 range (not less than $450 and certainly not more than $600; I’d be happy with $495, though if parts add up too much it could be $550).
Based on current development status, we think release in November of this year is most likely.
Very best regards,
Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
E-mail: crespi@sti.net

Sounds like a Schiitty business model :wink:

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #8,818 of 14,566
You're welcome!
I did as you described.
I had all data go via the same router.
Now the audio part is isolated with the switch, which made a difference in itself yesterday evening.
Today I did the ground trick.
The difference in sound was not even a bit modest.
It was huge!!
It's the background noise (that you not even knew was there) one eliminates this way.
A real upgrade and a must for everyone who plays digital over ethernet.
DO IT!!!

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #8,819 of 14,566
Im not sure what to believe in, the ground loop trick or the two talking in a very civil way.

Cheers!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back