What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #8,388 of 14,565
More expensive in implementation...

Whatever. Just because discrete ladders are more expensive does not mean they are better than on chip ladders.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #8,390 of 14,565
Much easier to imitate than create. Look at the wasteland that Hollywood has become.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #8,391 of 14,565
I'd be interested to hear what kind of non classical music baldr listens to (bluegrass).

The title of this thread is a Dead giveaway.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #8,393 of 14,565
Ok smartie pants, aside from that. Baldr mentioned liking bluegrass early on. Does the dead qualify has that.

Jerry Garcia took up banjo after not playing for about 10 years in a side project called "Old And In The Way." The band, along with Garcia, featured David Grisman on mandolin, Peter Rowan on guitar and most vocals (Peter was in Bill Monroe's band when he was in his early 20's), Vasser Clements on fiddle (played in Bill Monroe's band as a teenager), and John Kahn on bass. Their one LP was the best-selling Bluegrass album for a long time, and in some ways led to the so-called new-Grass revival. So yes, the Dead are connected to bluegrass.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #8,394 of 14,565
On discrete vs instrument chip resistor array DACs, I own Yggy v2, Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541. Spring is just above the Yggy's price, dac1541 considerably cheaper. Spring uses discrete ladders paired with parallel compensation ladders to alleviate resistor error/drift. Soekris dac1541 uses sign-magnitude encoding, which makes it easier to achieve linearity at very low signal levels with simple circuitry. Yggy you all have heard plenty about. Personally, Yggy v2 is what I like best, but my hunch is that this is less from the resistor array design than from the filters, or lack thereof in the Spring NOS case. All three DACs are very good, noticeable improvements over a Bimby or the builtin (delta-sigma) DAC in my Hegel H360, but for the music I listen to (modern jazz, Baroque, modern classical), Yggy is a bit more realistic, more "present," while dac1541 is a bit too "polite" (with any of its 1.20 filters), and Spring can be slightly over-the-top at lower sample rates.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #8,395 of 14,565
My daughter texted me just the other day while in the car to a pool party with her daughters complaining of trying to sing along to a bluegrass rendition of Dark Side of the Moon. This for an album that made the top 100 list for over 10 years in a row, if not falling under the category "Is nothing sacred?", may well be indicative of a growing trend.

I guess if it's good it's going to get covered.

I don't know how many people here appreciate Nirvana, but those who do might not appreciate Sturgil Simpsons cover of "In Bloom"

I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with either version.

Sometimes a cover blows the original away (opinion) Take all along the watchtower for example. I much prefer the Hendrix or Dave Matthews cover to the original. Johnny Cashs version of Hurt really shames the Nine Inch Nail version.

Take ELO's version of blinded by the light. I just recently learned they covered Springsteen. I could barely make it through his version.

Disturbed did a masterful version of the Sound of Silence.

And some covers should never be done. Madonna and American Pie for example.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #8,396 of 14,565
OK, OK….. Regrettably I arrived late (been distracted with things USB) for the recent hubub. Please forgive me, but I cannot help but comment on stupidity. Most think refers to IQ, mental capacity, or the like. In this case I refer to it as an inability or unwillingness to contemplate consequences before the fact. More specifically, doing precisely that which has no upside whatever. Now this is a forum of those who share common interest, headphone audio, and even out in the Van Allen belt some who share two channel aficion. The object of our hobby is to listen to music, of which there are a zillion variants. We have all religions represented, all political persuasions, all continents (except maybe Antarctica), all colors and nationalities, and all sexual preferences. We probably even have a few ladies out there. I don’t give a Schiit about any of the above. My interest lies in your audio and musical viewpoints. When we sign up here, we consent to HeadFi’s terms and Posting Guidelines. So if you mention make any comments about politics, religion, etc. it shows you cannot keep your deals with HeadFi. It also shows you are stupid as per above definition, no matter how much virtue you signal.

I have never seen anyone physically fight over whether they prefer planar headphones over IEMs. Nor over Hank Williams vs. Led Zeppelin, vs. Charlie Parker, vs. Wagner, etc. I have seen galoots duke it out over Politics – shows it just may be prudent (not stupid) to stick to Guidelines. Just a few other stupid things not to do in this thread:

1. Do not call others out in this thread personally. Extra credit for making sure your target is a thread moderator.

2. When a poster mentions a musical preference in terms of genre or artist, never attack that poster for what they prefer. Extra credit for magnanimous preaching and virtue posing against the posters preferences. Extra extra credit for accusing the poster of those same failings. For example, I really like classical music, opera and Wagnerian Opera in particular. I am not an anti-Semite. I am a huge Janis Joplin as well as Tia Sprocket fan but am not a self-destructive drunken heroin addict. I like Johnny Cash but I am not a wife-beating misogynist.

3. Those who quote verbatim profane quotes from other sites rank nosebleed high on the stupid list as well.

4. Those who do such things on this site make me look bad as well – all I am trying to do is host a thread that is fun to browse and not mean.

I now double down on Johnny Cash, Janis, and Tia Sprocket. Richard Wagner was a horrible person in many ways, but he also created music so beautiful that few can properly express it in words. He is also the inadvertent synthesizer of what became the modern film score. Bernard Herrmann, Alex North, and John Williams owe much to him. No less a person than Leonard Bernstein brought Wagner’s music to Israel some 35 years ago. If they can include it, so can we.

So hey, no stupid schiit. Think twice about doing stuff with no upside. Nobody ever got fired for not tweeting mean slop. (Just ask Roseanne.) Think before you write. My life is waaaay too short for this effort (I am not a writer) to not be fun. You can help. Please.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #8,398 of 14,565
Straight to the heart of the matter. There are too many things we share in common to piddle over minor differences -- perceived or otherwise.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #8,399 of 14,565
We have all religions represented, all political persuasions, all continents (except maybe Antarctica), all colors and nationalities, and all sexual preferences. We probably even have a few ladies out there.
Boy do I look forward to you being proven wrong on that.

With pictures.

Pictures of headphones and Schiit in Antarctica.

[I recommend the Lyr 2. My favorite hand warmer.]

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #8,400 of 14,565
I would like to add I enjoy the (usual) civility of both Schiit threads. I'm working on a Friday night, hoping to make sense of homeland securities northern border strategy, and trying to keep up with the daily changes in US Customs law. My mimby/Magni and these threads help keep me relaxed. (And maybe a beer or two)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back