What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 3, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8,146 of 14,566
Kinda makes you miss the cats, doesn't it?

JC

Nothing will get me to miss the cats. On the other hand, a properly working pair of eyes and neck would allow me to overlook their presence.

Continuing the discussion about CDs, does anyone else remember the TV news reports and magazine articles from the early 80’s telling us that CDs were cheaper and easier to produce than records and that if we (the masses) adopted the new format the prices would quickly drop below the cost of records?

I remember that. IIRC, CDs entered the market at something like $20 and I couldn't afford that so I bought used LPs for up to $10. I kept waiting for CD prices to drop but they never did. Greedy record execs - immolations too good for them...

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,147 of 14,566
The ring cycle begins on Wednesday! Dress rehearsal at 3pm.

EDIT: the first ring cycle.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #8,148 of 14,566
The ring cycle begins on Wednesday! Dress rehearsal at 3pm.

EDIT: the first ring cycle.

4p0QMI.jpg

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #8,149 of 14,566
I found a Solti Ring (not sure if there's more than one) on Spotify, but I just skipped to the beginning of act 3 of die Walkure.

I never really got into classical or opera, so a 14 hour ring cycle is perhaps not the best place to start.

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #8,150 of 14,566
Continuing the discussion about CDs, does anyone else remember the TV news reports and magazine articles from the early 80’s telling us that CDs were cheaper and easier to produce than records and that if we (the masses) adopted the new format the prices would quickly drop below the cost of records? I have a weirdly specific memory of Peter Jennings saying this on the news which caused me to start buying CDs for new albums and/or when my cassette tapes wore out - even before I owned a CD player. Records at the time were $9 and CDs launched at $12 but pretty rapidly kept going up in price to an average of $14 with top new releases hitting as much as $17. I think prices have corrected with most new releases especially if you factor in the value of today's dollar versus 1980 dollars. Most of my recent new CD purchases from Amazon have been in the $9 - 12 range. I guess they didn't lie about prices, it just took 30 years to reap the benefits of this new format.
When CDs first came out, cost of manufacturing was $3-$4 per disc, and quickly dropped to pennies. The sales price of CDs has little to do with manufacturing cost. Prices are set by record labels based on demand, profit margin, marketing and licensing costs, artist fees etc. The reports you saw were seriously ignorant about the music industry.

Here's an article from 1995 (23 years ago!): Pennies That Add Up to $16.98: Why CD's Cost So Much

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #8,152 of 14,566
I found a Solti Ring (not sure if there's more than one) on Spotify, but I just skipped to the beginning of act 3 of die Walkure.

I never really got into classical or opera, so a 14 hour ring cycle is perhaps not the best place to start.
Nor is Spotify (by itself) the best place to start with opera. It helps if you can follow along with a libretto translation so you can understand what is happening. Watching subtitled videos is a good way to start.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #8,153 of 14,566
Continuing the discussion about CDs, does anyone else remember the TV news reports and magazine articles from the early 80’s telling us that CDs were cheaper and easier to produce than records and that if we (the masses) adopted the new format the prices would quickly drop below the cost of records? I have a weirdly specific memory of Peter Jennings saying this on the news which caused me to start buying CDs for new albums and/or when my cassette tapes wore out - even before I owned a CD player. Records at the time were $9 and CDs launched at $12 but pretty rapidly kept going up in price to an average of $14 with top new releases hitting as much as $17. I think prices have corrected with most new releases especially if you factor in the value of today's dollar versus 1980 dollars. Most of my recent new CD purchases from Amazon have been in the $9 - 12 range. I guess they didn't lie about prices, it just took 30 years to reap the benefits of this new format.

And now most records start at $20...

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,155 of 14,566
I just bought my second LP from amazon.de, it's waiting for me in Berlin. I will take it to LA and play it in the Schiitr. @Baldr, if you want to hear Max Lorenz's Tannhäuser, I can leave it there for you—I can't play it here in SF.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #8,157 of 14,566
...It helps if you can follow along with a libretto translation so you can understand what is happening. Watching subtitled videos is a good way to start.

Or you could listen to the Goodall Ring cycle sung in English. I have the original LPs and they are quite well done. Have the Solti Ring on LP too. Like them both, though it's been a while since I've listened to them.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #8,158 of 14,566
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,159 of 14,566

Correct. And no space for the TT. And even if there were, the space would immediately go to a second coffee grinder. Dialing the grind out for pour over and in for espresso is quickly becoming a headache. I just paid host to my parents, who are picky about their coffee but with tastes that I disagree with. My mother needs 1/8 cup of sugar in her milkshake I mean latte, and my father, who always takes his coffee black and claims he likes it strong, isn't hardcore enough for espresso.

I wonder if I could Jil my LP into my MacBook Pro at the Schiitr, or whether that would be disruptive to normal business operations. It occurs to me, with all the discussion of a multibit Jil, whether it might be possible to build such a prototype (in the extremely unlikely event that one doesn't already exist) and to allow people to pay hourly for its use at the Schiitr. It seems like it would be yet another draw to a site somewhat out of the way, particularly if there is little market demand for such an ADC's production in volume.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #8,160 of 14,566
Correct. And no space for the TT. And even if there were, the space would immediately go to a second coffee grinder..

Ah, you must live in one of those 300 sqft at $5000/month San Francisco "apartments." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back