What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #8,131 of 14,565
I've had multiple (A) kidney stone episodes; (B) I've smashed my right shoulder into a rock skiing, dislocating the shoulder, breaking the head of the humerus, and spending 2.5h on a rescue sled bouncing down the slope to a waiting ambulance; (C) I've had major impact to my privates. (B) was by far worse than (A), and (C) was way better than either. Several women who have had both (A) and (D) childbirth said that (A) is much worse than (D). So, who knows, maybe (C) is worse than (D) -- I doubt, (D) takes way, way longer from being there for the birth of my two kids -- but the final tally is (B) > (A) > {(C), (D)}. If you want to compete on pain, go smash a shoulder really well.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #8,132 of 14,565
I've had multiple (A) kidney stone episodes; (B) I've smashed my right shoulder into a rock skiing, dislocating the shoulder, breaking the head of the humerus, and spending 2.5h on a rescue sled bouncing down the slope to a waiting ambulance; (C) I've had major impact to my privates. (B) was by far worse than (A), and (C) was way better than either. Several women who have had both (A) and (D) childbirth said that (A) is much worse than (D). So, who knows, maybe (C) is worse than (D) -- I doubt, (D) takes way, way longer from being there for the birth of my two kids -- but the final tally is (B) > (A) > {(C), (D)}. If you want to compete on pain, go smash a shoulder really well.

I think it's time for you to contemplate to go outside like this...

hbC1swS.jpg

(minus the make up and the weird clowny clothes).

On a serious note, from time to time when I'm in bed, I inadvertently rotate my left shoulder in a way that it hurts like hell, to the point that I don't even scream, I just stay with my jaw fully open, trembling for a couple of seconds until I'm able to make the reverse movement and the shoulder feels ok so the pain goes away. Because of that, I tend to believe you that a shoulder injury is a nightmare inducing scenario.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #8,133 of 14,565
Worst pain I've ever felt was splitting a tooth down the middle. I know what a suicide headache is now. I couldn't function at all, and getting into a dentist took most of the day.

I've had my gallbladder fail, dislocated my shoulder and popped it in myself (this is also extremely painful, and uncomfortable). I'm also disabled from a back injury with multiple fusion surgeries and other issues (constant pain, not the extreme pain of the other ones). Obviously broken bones (I lost count, just fingers is over 10 times). Concussions, lime disease, etc. All fun times!

Shoulder is probably the worst outside of my back issues. My shoulder will never be right again, and doing the wrong thing can cause extreme pain. Limited motion, haven't thrown a ball in years.

Tooth pain can trump most pain, but thankfully that can be corrected easily and quickly. Getting old sucks, can't wait to see what wonderful new problems I'll have going forward! Lol

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #8,136 of 14,565
You guys are wusses. Try enduring the pain inflicted when accidentally ripping out a urinary catheter. :scream:

(OK -- never actually happened to me, but I felt left out of this convo.)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #8,137 of 14,565
If someone would have recorded me in the hospital when my back problems really went to hell, you'd think I was being murdered. Screaming at the top of my lungs, getting yelled at to "quiet down", from hospital staff.

I didn't respond to that very nicely, lol. After a few choice curse words, and the 4th pain med attempt, I was finally relieved enough to stop screaming. I don't know what child birth feels like, but if it's like that, women are insane to go back for more!

Don't have to be old. This was when I was barely 38. Long term disability insurance is the greatest thing I've ever bought. If you have the choice, DO IT! You never know when something can just happen. If I didn't have it, my life would be a complete disaster. If you can, pay AFTER tax, then they can't tax you on the benefits (24%). You'll pay more upfront, but it's negligible really. Since most pay 50%, max is usually 70% of your pay, that 24% can be a huge difference.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #8,138 of 14,565
This place is beginning to sound like a geriatric ward. I will not list my medical history. I come here to escape the pain. Getting old isn't for sissies, that's for sure.
If you stay fit, getting a bit older has its advantages: 1) kidney stones typically decrease with age; 2) you may have more disposable income for audio and adventures after the kids leave home. The "stay fit" part is critical: after my shoulder accident last year, I did a ton of physio and gym work that enabled me to climb and ski in British Columbia and in the Swiss Alps for a total of 24 days the season that just ended.

This is not us, but it's pretty much what we did last full day of my ski touring season, except that we went up a 45 decree slope with crampons/ice axe rather than taking the long way round, and we were not telemarking.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #8,139 of 14,565
If you stay fit, getting a bit older has its advantages: 1) kidney stones typically decrease with age; 2) you may have more disposable income for audio and adventures after the kids leave home. The "stay fit" part is critical: after my shoulder accident last year, I did a ton of physio and gym work that enabled me to climb and ski in British Columbia and in the Swiss Alps for a total of 24 days the season that just ended.

This is not us, but it's pretty much what we did last full day of my ski touring season, except that we went up a 45 decree slope with crampons/ice axe rather than taking the long way round, and we were not telemarking.

That's good...not a fan of Telemarketers! Besides, don't think you'd get reception there anyway...
:ksc75smile:

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #8,141 of 14,565
Pffft. Well, at least they had a job at a mill...

We had to sell 2 liters of blood -- daily. Instead of pay, we would all get together at the quarterly 'Top Blood Donors Gala and Memorial Service'. At the event, everyone was entered into a raffle where the winner would be given an opportunity to pick 'What's in the Box' or 'What's behind Door #3'!

Alas, it didn't matter which you picked -- it was always a single-serving packet of dehydrated fish-head soup made with tumor-laden fish harvested from massive kills along the Yellow River.

Yeah -- Kids today got it pretty easy. :unamused:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #8,143 of 14,565
Would Quantrill's country be Missouri or Kansas then?

I always thought that if Kansas U can call themselves the Jayhawks, then Missouri's teams should be able to be the Bushwackers.

Vagaries of being on the winning side for historical perspective.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #8,144 of 14,565
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #8,145 of 14,565
Continuing the discussion about CDs, does anyone else remember the TV news reports and magazine articles from the early 80’s telling us that CDs were cheaper and easier to produce than records and that if we (the masses) adopted the new format the prices would quickly drop below the cost of records? I have a weirdly specific memory of Peter Jennings saying this on the news which caused me to start buying CDs for new albums and/or when my cassette tapes wore out - even before I owned a CD player. Records at the time were $9 and CDs launched at $12 but pretty rapidly kept going up in price to an average of $14 with top new releases hitting as much as $17. I think prices have corrected with most new releases especially if you factor in the value of today's dollar versus 1980 dollars. Most of my recent new CD purchases from Amazon have been in the $9 - 12 range. I guess they didn't lie about prices, it just took 30 years to reap the benefits of this new format.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back