What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 31, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #8,103 of 14,566
.... Well, if you insist ...

May 31, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #8,104 of 14,566
I kinda miss the opera buffs arguing about Bruckner and the best cycles to buy on blu-ray :)
I never know what it`s about but I find myself reading it anyway more often than not.

The choice for Bruckner cycles on blueray is not fantastic - lots of single symphonies, especially 7 and 8 - without cheating and doing a web search, thinking the best (if not only choice) is thielemann - thinking he did complete a bluray cycle - have a bunch of his bruckner on SACD - great performances... hoping for Gunther Wand, Barenboim, and Jochum to be issued on hiRes.

v

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #8,105 of 14,566
I have a question for the CD aficionados on this thread. I read a few years back that CD's are inevitably a lossy format. Something to do with degradation over time of the data stored on the disc. Basically the "pits" (or the layer covering the pits) degrade over the years so that the laser can't determine whether a one or zero is stored. It's not as bad as a scratch mind you, but over time crucial data is lost.

From what I recall the amount of degradation is partly dependent upon the quality of the manufacturing process used in making the discs. If memory serves the article was saying that data is best preserved on a thumb or hard drive.

Does anyone here know more about it then the single article I read years ago? Are folks just not worried about degradation taking place in their lifetimes?.

Apparently vinyl doesn't suffer the same fate.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #8,106 of 14,566
Jun 1, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #8,108 of 14,566
CD's, etc. will last long enough for me at my age.
I've got some CD's manufactured in the early 80's, with over 2500 of them I've had exactly 2 go bad.
They reach a point in playback where they get stuck and repeat several notes quickly over and over.
I replaced those 2.
CD "rot" was discussed ad nauseum in the audio press starting in the mid 80's.
Advertisements showed people handling CD's like frisbies or plastic coated playing cards "perfect sound forever".
I never did buy into the invulnerability BS and handled my CD's like I handled my LP's, with care and by the center hole and outer rim.
Once the plastic coating is damaged is easy to understand how air can get to the materials underneath and cause oxidation like effects or have physical damage to some pits.
I've got some remastered CD's and their original issue counterparts to compare side by side. The biggest difference is the thinness of the new issues and how flexible they are,
they appear to use the same CDR discs one can buy for making their own discs. I suspect they are not going to last as long as the thicker wafers used years back which generally
would have a tendency to break before bending.
I've never heard CD's referred to as "lossy".
However, they can be physically damaged.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #8,110 of 14,566
Basically the "pits" (or the layer covering the pits) degrade over the years so that the laser can't determine whether a one or zero is stored.

CDs have error correction built in to the
format. That allows it to read the data even if some of it is missing. CIRC can correct nearly 4,000 consecutive erroneous bits, which is equal to about 2.5 millimeters of the track on a CD.

I kinda miss the opera buffs arguing about Bruckner and the best cycles to buy on blu-ray

We had to miss Carmen because my daughter was ill ;-( Next opera in Sept, Lucia di Lammamoor (sp?).

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #8,111 of 14,566
Apparently vinyl doesn't suffer the same fate.

Well, except for scraping a diamond needle inside the groove which wears down the vinyl over time. :smirk_cat:

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #8,112 of 14,566
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #8,114 of 14,566
CD's are much easier to misplace than LP's, therefore it is reasonable to refer to it as a 'lossy' format. Especially where kids are involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back