What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 27, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #7,471 of 14,566
I believe JRiver uses dither only to distribute the error from any processing. This is not 'noise' that is added ...it's just rounding errors when going from 64 bits to the DAC bit resolution (say, 24bits) are not dropped but are maintained and diffused across multiple samples.
In my resolving system I can hear dither on/off and recommend always on and set to TPDF.
OK, I just changed my JR from "JRiver bit-exact dithering" to "TPDF Dithering."
Should I hear a difference?

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #7,473 of 14,566
OK, I just changed my JR from "JRiver bit-exact dithering" to "TPDF Dithering."
Should I hear a difference?
TPDF does add randomization to better distribute the error without any perceptible nuances added except, when measured, of a slightly higher noise floor. I'm not sure what JRiver's bit-exact method does but in my back-and-forth listening tests I felt that TPDF added a more neutral (more pleasing) implementation. That being said, i have now had TPDF set for the past two years and maybe things have changed in the most JR current version I have (22).

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7,475 of 14,566
TPDF does add randomization to better distribute the error without any perceptible nuances added except, when measured, of a slightly higher noise floor. I'm not sure what JRiver's bit-exact method does but in my back-and-forth listening tests I felt that TPDF added a more neutral (more pleasing) implementation. That being said, i have now had TPDF set for the past two years and maybe things have changed in the most JR current version I have (22).
I also have 22, and must say the music (same Clapton Unplugged) sounds great w/ both settings. Will need more time, but thx for the idea!
Since I made that change, I'm not sure Eric had any hot sauce on his burrito at all...:).

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #7,476 of 14,566
Since you wrote that, JJ, I had to go back and listen closely...
Note, I just have a GMB, not an Yggy, listening with my BHA-1 and HD800 (unmodded).
To me, it clearly sounds like Eric's left foot, the heel (not toe), size 11.5, possibly Cole Haan.
The shoe brand is the toughest to hear. With an Yggy, you may be able to spot the brand. :)

ps. There is a ton of background noise in this recording, i.e. about which Mike just wrote. Adds to the experience!
According to my Yggy, he cleaned the shoe (only that one) 2.5 days before the recording, with his spit, right after eating a burrito.
Nice! Can you spot which brand of hot sauce...Louisiana or Tabasco?
So I take it you guys didn't hear his shoe lace flopping around?

And the bonus question for the day is,
Which side of his shoe is the shoe lace flopping from?

Hint!
This may (or may not) be a trick question!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #7,478 of 14,566
According to my Yggy, he cleaned the shoe (only that one) 2.5 days before the recording, with his spit, right after eating a burrito.
Hence the megacomboburrito filter.:darthsmile: Or am I missing something?:L3000:

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #7,480 of 14,566
Sorry, I don't have a Topping DX7.
Even of you did, you'd only be able to measure what kind of hot sauce it was, you wouldn't be able to actually hear it.

Correction: You wouldn't even be bothered to try and hear it, you'd just read it from the measurements and be sure that's exactly what it was.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #7,481 of 14,566

The question isn’t the sauce but the meat.

Answer: it was vegetarian. Lots of guac.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #7,483 of 14,566
But when I set JRiver to 64 bits, I could hear the behaviour of the universe 10E-19 seconds after the big bang. I continued listening up until my parents started dating.

Come on guys, 64 bits. That is less thermal noise than generated by a 1 ohm resistor at 0.1 degrees Kelvin. Mental masturbation.

You could hear not only the brand of hot sauce but how long the fingernails were on each person that picked the peppers.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #7,485 of 14,566
Yes. Measurements show it has 4,000,000 Scoville, but somehow it doesn't make my Schiithole burn as much as I'd like it to.

TMI. Way, TMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

• sp79
Back