What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #7,336 of 14,566
Finally, a hint what is coming very soon from me is something I said I could/would never do. More also from Jason.

This is brilliant ... tell the competition you can't/won't do something ... they relax ... then do it anyway ... Result = Competitive head scratching & Happy customers ... Sheer genius !!

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #7,337 of 14,566
This is brilliant ... tell the competition you can't/won't do something ... they relax ... then do it anyway ... Result = Competitive head scratching & Happy customers ... Sheer genius !!

Ahhh, but what is "it"?

- Multibit for Joty
- HDMI upgrade board(s)? For digital audio via HDMI
- A Sale
- A H/T Pre/Pro or a V2 of one or more of the pre-amps with HT bypass

I'm sure there's more that has been said would not be done, who can add to the list?

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #7,338 of 14,566
Ahhh, but what is "it"?
I'm sure there's more that has been said would not be done, who can add to the list?

MQA ! (ducks !)

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #7,339 of 14,566
DSD + MQA + Dolby Atmos, OMG

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #7,341 of 14,566
Yggdrasil:
Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled Class A FET buffers optimized for high current output and fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output

Gungnir Multibit:
Analog Stages: Fully discrete JFET buffers for balanced output and discrete JFET summing stages for single-ended output, direct coupled throughout.

Copied from Schiit.com. Notice that the Gungnir description does not state that the Analog Stages are Class A. Perhaps, if not already Class A, Gumby soon will be. I'm waiting....

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #7,342 of 14,566
Yggdrasil:
Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled Class A FET buffers optimized for high current output and fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output

Gungnir Multibit:
Analog Stages: Fully discrete JFET buffers for balanced output and discrete JFET summing stages for single-ended output, direct coupled throughout.

Copied from Schiit.com. Notice that the Gungnir description does not state that the Analog Stages are Class A. Perhaps, if not already Class A, Gumby soon will be. I'm waiting....
Small signal voltage amplifiers and buffers are class A by definition. There is no advantage [of any sort] in designing them as class AB or B.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #7,343 of 14,566
I (and many others) have been advocating for a Schiit streamer, but not sure if that's really likely...

Cool for Mike to go somewhere with a product he never intended to go. Should be an interesting week!!

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #7,345 of 14,566
Our buddy with the Japanese woman in traditional garb as his avatar is at it again, this time with Lyr and Magni 3. Because of head-fi policy, finding it is left as an exercise for the reader.

He managed to let some of the Magic Blue Smoke out of the Magni 3. I made a guess at what he did, and he hasn't denied it in conversation. I may ask him outright in our next exchange what he did. Hint: Unplugging a TRS plug while driving the amp to clipping with a continuous tone.

@Jason Stoddard , this really is up your alley, but you are more strict about OT posts. If he did what I think he did (I wrote about it there, with some simplistic guesses) he kinda earned the blue smoke.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #7,347 of 14,566
@Baldr Sorry to hear about your health issues, Mike. We've been dealing with some as well over here in the desert. I hate hospitals, but when they are necessary they are good to have around. As my wife says, getting older sucks, but not quite as much as the alternative.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #7,348 of 14,566
@Baldr, glad to hear you are improved. Hope your better half is as well.

I am not telling you what to do, but consider carefully the risk to benefit ratio of dental implants after a recent infection and at your age. Implanted materials have a higher rate of infection than natural bone or teeth. I advised my father against dental implants, especially since he already has titanium in his spine.

Best wishes

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #7,349 of 14,566
Our buddy with the Japanese woman in traditional garb as his avatar is at it again, this time with Lyr and Magni 3. Because of head-fi policy, finding it is left as an exercise for the reader.

He managed to let some of the Magic Blue Smoke out of the Magni 3. I made a guess at what he did, and he hasn't denied it in conversation. I may ask him outright in our next exchange what he did. Hint: Unplugging a TRS plug while driving the amp to clipping with a continuous tone.

@Jason Stoddard , this really is up your alley, but you are more strict about OT posts. If he did what I think he did (I wrote about it there, with some simplistic guesses) he kinda earned the blue smoke.

since he is now "reviewing" amps I would assume yeah it would be Jasons department whether or not he has the time or the desire to entertain the whole thing is a different matter.

I saw it, my take, hes trying to compare distortion numbers of a tube amp against an SS amp and uses the Magnis number to try to prove that the Lyrs are bad? Im not even sure. I called him on it, said you should test it against another tube amp so we have a real frame of reference he basically said if you want me to test a tube amp send me one, I said you have one test that. He mentioned a stax setup in his personal collection he used for a quick listening test of the Lyr, but he wont test it because he has too many other amps to test...whatever he is becoming more and more obvious now. The only sad part is people are buying into the BS, its spreading around reddit because that's what reddit does and people are making buying decisions based on his "testing"

I try to fight the good fight, I don't know why because id accomplish more if i just went and banged my head against a wall for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back