What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,472 of 14,566
Other than Jil, the TTL, and MP, iare there any other projects down the pipeline that we know of? I heard rumblings of a Bimby 2, that baby is in desperate need of an upgrade.
Bimby comes with Gen 5 USB now, that's a pretty good upgrade according to some.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #4,474 of 14,566
Sep 2, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #4,476 of 14,566
Re: The Living Stereo CD collection.. I got both vol 1 and vol 2 and ripped vol 2 first since my daughter wanted the Tosca on it.

I am finding the music on these CDs to be tonally different (better?) than modern recordings of the same compositions. It's very interesting and is driving me to want to listen to every track very carefully.

Two other notes. The Ogden Nash narration on Carnival o the Animals is hilarious! And the pause in the Tchaikovsky Pathetique first moment is too short. My other recording has a very long pause so that it's much more startling when the piece continues.

Finally, I must admit, I am really not a fan of piano concerti. I listened to Byron Janis Pictures at an Exhibition, and like almost all piano works, meh. I do like Gould's 1981 Goldberg but that's a different thing, I think.

P.S. Am I the only one that thinks the Aquarium movement in Carnival of the Animals is often used in horror movies?

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,477 of 14,566
.....P.S. Am I the only one that thinks the Aquarium movement in Carnival of the Animals is often used in horror movies?

Not sure about its use in a particular horror flick but it's heard several times in Terrence Malick's film "Days of Heaven" to good effect.
It probably also shows up in other films and possibly TV / Radio commercials or has a variation of it used.
I love it when commercial advertisers use the opening of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" to sell everything from butter to hemorrhoid ointment. NOT!!!

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,478 of 14,566
Re: The Living Stereo CD collection.. I got both vol 1 and vol 2 and ripped vol 2 first since my daughter wanted the Tosca on it.

I am finding the music on these CDs to be tonally different (better?) than modern recordings of the same compositions. It's very interesting and is driving me to want to listen to every track very carefully.

Two other notes. The Ogden Nash narration on Carnival o the Animals is hilarious! And the pause in the Tchaikovsky Pathetique first moment is too short. My other recording has a very long pause so that it's much more startling when the piece continues.

Finally, I must admit, I am really not a fan of piano concerti. I listened to Byron Janis Pictures at an Exhibition, and like almost all piano works, meh. I do like Gould's 1981 Goldberg but that's a different thing, I think.

P.S. Am I the only one that thinks the Aquarium movement in Carnival of the Animals is often used in horror movies?

I haven't ordered the CD collection. But in my vinyl days I had many of the recordings on original issue RCA shaded dog vinyls. They were very special. They preceded Dynagrove which was yuk. And involved simple mic placement and not a lot of mixing and compression. Guess I should get off my rear and order the CD collection.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4,479 of 14,566
totally digging life after usb!
BNC from my 502DAC-board is so much better when compared to usb from the raspberry pi.
I think I will call the raspberry part of my set-up finished now and move on to other things to throw my money at.
Jordan-Belfort-Throws-Out-Money-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,481 of 14,566
Solti Ring

hmm - there is no context to this reply, so addressing two possibilities...

1) If it is about "best ring" - I don't disagree - but I don't immediately agree! :D - definitely is up there with Karl Boehm's and in the right mood, Herbie's. Two serious underdog contenders are Marek Janowski's (recent remaster is faultless) and Daniel Baremboim's.

2) If it is about classical for beginners - I don't know whether to "HAHAHA" or to "WHAT!" :D

I think that for classical beginners, the answer is simple - go chronologically! - Start with Baroque hits like the Four Seasons or the Brandenburgs and go forward - always full works, not greatest hits, pls! Believe me, even things like Four Seasons and Messiah have way more to give when you play the whole thing - that is the whole Op. 8 for Four Seasons and the complete oratorio for Messiah, for example.

That's how I did it - decided that my thang was Post Romantic and/or Late and Super Late Romantic - until recently when I am getting more and more into earlier music eras.

v

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,482 of 14,566
Other than Jil, the TTL, and MP, iare there any other projects down the pipeline that we know of? I heard rumblings of a Bimby 2, that baby is in desperate need of an upgrade.

It was released 23 months ago today, and prior to that, the Bifrost hadn't been overhauled in about four years. The Gungnir Multibit is a damn fine 'upgrade' over the Bifrost Multibit. That's what I'd be picking up if I found the Bifrost Multibit to be lacking.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,483 of 14,566
Well you can always add a HiFiBerry DAC plus Pro board and get transformer coupled S/PDIF coax out. Totally no noise black background and great dynamics.
Not to be a wise-ass or anything...but maybe you should google the pi2design 502dac? (see how I didn`t want to be one but just couldn`t help myself :) )
It is kind off a hifiberry digi pro+ (with extras) but you don`t have to solder the external PSU and a BNC-out to the board yourself.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,484 of 14,566
You don't have to solder anything to attach the HiBerry shield. It's plug and play and comes with coax output. As far as the pi2deesign 502 DAC, it looks like a low cost solution alright but why would I want it when I have a $1249 Schiit Gugnir MB to feed with my HiFiBerry?

I have found most of the RP3 and similar processors and add-on boards to be surprisingly good and fun to play with. They are so cost effective and small, it's hard to take them seriously. That said, the proof is in the listening and to me, they sound darn good. Others may feel differently.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,485 of 14,566
You don`t have to. But if you would want to feed the power via the Hifiberry you would need to.
And you actually need to to get the best results from it. Or so I gather from various people tinkering with it.

b.t.w. I do the same with the 502 as you do with the hifiberry only instead of coax I use BNC.
I dont use the DAC part if that was what you were thinking. Although the onboard DAC may come in handy if it is ever moved to a simpler set-up.
(Which I doubt cause it really is good.) I never heard the hifiberry digi+pro so I cant really compare the two.
I did own a couple of other hifiberries and they all were nice boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back