What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #3,002 of 14,566
OK, my turn :)

1) Any pick of the Bach recordings with Evgeni Koroliov.
2) Regine Crespin with Les Nuits d'ete by Berlioz.
3) Piano trios by Franck and Ravel with Richter, Kagan, Gutman.
4) Piano Trios by Dvorak with the Beaux Arts Trio.
5) Schubert Lieder with Fischer-Dieskau, in particular this anthology with Moore:  http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1517239/a/schubert%3A+lieder+%2F+fischer-dieskau,+moore,+engel.htm

...and so much more.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,004 of 14,566
  Furtwangler Tristan
Furtwangler 1953 (Rome) Ring Cycle
Furtwangler Beethoven Symphonies (incl. the 1942 9th)
Beethoven Piano Sonatas (Kempff, stereo cycle)
Le Nozze di Figaro (Harnoncourt 2006 recording)

I've also got that Kempf cycle and it's a good one.

Hey, if we go as a group to this desert island (of course it must have all the amenities, pool, bar, golf course, movie theater, well stocked fishing pond, etc.),
we can probably pool our selections and have it all!  Win, Win for us!

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,005 of 14,566
This is totally impossible, but here's a few I'd probably pick (not counting the other couple hundred I'd have to figure out how to smuggle with me...)

Fritz Reiner/CSO - [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Scheherazade[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Stern/Istomin/Rose - Schubert piano trios[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Vanska/Minnesota Orchestra - Sibelius symphony cycle (or at least 2/5)[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Vanska/Minnesota Orchestra - Beethoven symphony cycle[/color]
Guarneri Quartet/Rubenstein - Dvorak piano quartet and quintet

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,006 of 14,566
Laberinto en la Guitarra - Ensamble Continuo, baroque on period instruments, it traces the origins of some popular music to flemish baroque a fun CD.
Scheherazade with Fritz Reiner / CSO, with this one you can be alone but can clearly "see" all the orquesta first time this happened on my system.
Bach: 6 Cello Suites - Pierre Fournier,
Sibelius: Symphonies 1-7 Jukka-Pekka Saraste; maybe not the best but close to; a lot of good memries attached to this set.
Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet; don't know a thing about jazz, got it in a whym, for me now this can be principal dish, desert and everything, still ignorant obout jazz only know that this awesome music.

best regards,

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,010 of 14,566
Just a heads-up. The Los Angeles classical station KUSC has just started their top 100 countdown.

They stream on-line.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,011 of 14,566
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs
Sade - The best of
Bonnie Raitt - The best of

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,012 of 14,566
In the interest of ploughing through as much Mahler as possible, I've just put on the Walter compilation that's on Tidal. I teach reading, and background music is always beneficial. 

One of many pedagogical innovations I've coined is Opera Detention, in which students are detailed during lunch or after school and do work while listening to opera.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3,013 of 14,566
Damn, 5 albums is a way too short list, so I'll cheat and I will pick 10, but recommending specific tracks so it's easier for Mike to check different styles and from there, go deeper if he wants:

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare (1990)

If some day we get invaded by aliens and one of them looks at an electric guitar next to a pedalboard asking "what can you do with that?", well... this is the album that you need to play. In P&W you'll find every damn guitar technique that exists, applied in a hard to believe creative way (sometimes the sounds he creates doesn't even resemble a guitar). Steve began to work with Frank Zappa when he was around 18 years old. If there's an afterlife, I bet whatever you want that when looking at Steve's entire career, Zappa is smiling and giving two thumbs up. This album is a proof of that.

Recommended tracks:

Erotic Nightmares
The Animal
Answers
The Riddle
Blue Powder
Sisters

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories) (2013)

Unlike Vai who is able to compose a symphony for an entire orchestra if he wants, Steven Wilson barely has any musical theory knowledge under his belt and despite of that he manages to release albums that receive critical acclaim both from his fans and the critics. I've lost the count on how many times he has been called a musical genius. In the world of progressive music, this guy for sure kicks ass.

Recommended tracks:

Luminol
Drive Home
The Watchmaker
The Raven that Refused to Sing

Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)

Opeth is what happens when the guys that form a band have the desire to be as heavy as possible and elegant, both at the same time. Except for their last albums (which are much more mellow), pretty much their entire catalog consists of music that has a very strange characteristic, it's heavy, menacing, eerie, gorgeous and delicate at once. Mikael Akerfeldt (singer, guitar player and the band's brain) possesses the ability to growl like a madman and at the very next second to sing in a haunting, soft and delicate way. Very few of their songs are completely heavy or delicate, there's always a mix, which defines their unique style that makes them so popular among metal fans.

Recommended tracks:

Beneath the Mire
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Hours of Wealth
Isolation Years

Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

This album has been cited as super influential for so many other artists. I'll make it short, David Bowie himself said literally that Grace would be one album that he would take to a desert island. The melodies here are fantastic and the vocals have to be one of the most perfect ones that I've ever heard (arguable, it has the best Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah cover). Such a shame Jeff died when he was still recording his second album.

Recommended tracks:

Grace
Lilac Wine
So Real
Lover, You Should've Come Over

Morcheeba - Charango (2002)

Morcheeba is a british Trip-Hop band. Trip-Hop comes from the fusion of Hip-Hop and Electronica. Personally I can't stand both genres on their own yet I love Trip-Hop, yeah... weird things happen when it comes to "musical taste". As with most of Trip-Hop albums, this one is very sensual and full of catchy rhythm sections. Sky Edwards has a beautiful voice, I love her.

Recommended tracks:

Slowdown
Otherwise
Undress Me Now
Aqualung

Eddie Vedder  - Into The Wild (2007)

Fantastic OST from an excellent singer that I've been fan of since his early days with Pearl Jam. Maybe it's because of the movie but I think this album is just perfect for a trip.

Recommended tracks:

Long Nights
Hard Sun
Society
Guaranteed

Buckethead - Electric Tears (2002)

Buckethead (real name Brian Carroll) is one of those unique artists that appear every several decades. He has the chops to play whatever he wants and a musical curiosity that makes him to explore genres that go from Death Metal, to Hip-Hop, Ambient and a huge amount of other ones in between. Once, I read that listening to this guy is like being in a rollercoaster ride, I couldn't agree more. But, this album is one his melodic quieter ones, just beautiful minimalist compositions, so relax and enjoy.

Recommended tracks:

The Way to Heaven
Datura
Angel Monster
Spell of the Gypsies

Ella Fitzgerald - The Intimate Ella (1990)

I'll make it short here, I don't care what anyone says, to me, Ella Fitzgerald is by far the most perfect female voice ever.

Recommended tracks:

My Melancholy Baby
Misty
September Song
Reach for Tomorrow

On The Virg - Serious Young Insects (1999)

This is an amazing fusion album from Virgil Donati, one of the most versatile and acclaimed drum virtuosos (I'd say he is easily among the top 5). Even if it was released in 1999, the album sounds extremely fresh today.

Recommended tracks:

Native Metal
Alien Hip-Hop
Trencherman
Invasion of the Ants

Portishead - Roseland NYC Live (1998)

Making a record of a "rock" band with an orchestra is an idea that has been done a lot of times with good and bad results. Metallica is an example of an unsuccessful attemp. This Portishead (another great seminal Trip-Hop band) is not only good, but great in fact. Pretty much every song here sounds like a new fresh version, also... both the band and the orchestra sound like a single entity, which is great.

Recommended tracks:

All Mine
Mysterons
Over
Glory Box

Regards
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,014 of 14,566
One of many pedagogical innovations I've coined is Opera Detention, in which students are detailed during lunch or after school and do work while listening to opera.

You can only hope they do not see this as torture and will listen to it again as something quite beautiful.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,015 of 14,566

You can only hope they do not see this as torture and will listen to it again as something quite beautiful.

I have seen a news story where a parking lot had became a gathering place at night for gangs, pimps and drug dealers. The city cleaned it up by installing loudspeakers and playing opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back