What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,986 of 14,566
Wow... tough choices, so here is the choice for now.... I hope this helps your cause Baldr...

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and the Mirror
Dire Straights - Telegraph Road
Toto - IV
Level 42 - World Machine

:)

Something new to the table I hope

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,987 of 14,566
Poor man! It is the longest DVD in the world. Was it the one with the castle backdrop?
I can honestly say that it will get easier after the first 4 or 5 times. But the pain remains.

I can't remember the location, only the audience crying, and the sight of women singers dressed up like something off a chocolate box. And the vibrato from his fiddle... you weren't there man, you weren't there! :weary::weary::weary:

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,989 of 14,566
Clapton - Unplugged Deluxe Edition
SRV - The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
Dave Brubeck Quartet - 25th Anniversary Reunion
Van Morrison - The Best of Van Morrison
The Who - Quadrophenia

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,991 of 14,566

HeHeHe....how about the BeachBoys.
We could do the toiletpapercommercial-bit for weeks on end!

edit:
No Beegees nor beachboys were harmed during the making of this comment because both actually produced some nice songs.(I think.)

Mt first rock (?) concert back in the Cretaceous period was the Beach Boys! Eventually had most of their early albums along with Jefferson Airplane.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,994 of 14,566
  There has been much written on this thread about classical music and opera in particular. That is fine and it is music which I love, although far from exclusively. Since I am heading down the lonely road of music processor design, and since I am in a testing phase at this time, a survey is in order. I have but one survey question, which is what are your 3-5 desert island discs? This is a serious question – not just so I may evaluate, but learn to do so on this project which is so new to me. Thanks!

Not classical, but here's my input:

1.  Buddy Guy - live with G.E. Smith and the Saturday Bight Live Band
2.  B.B. King - Blues Summit
3.  Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
4.  Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Goin Home
5.  Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,995 of 14,566
I take this not to be a popularity/"best" contest, but an attempt to represent one's broad preferences and give Mike the full spectrum of music we Schiit-heads listen to. In that spirit, here are five representative albums from my collection:

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way: it will likely stretch anything that latches onto Western musical scales
Vijay Iyer - Accelerando: mostly fairly tonal, but with some stretching of scales (think Debussy)
Bartók - Piano Concertos 1-3 - Géza Anda/Ferenc Fricsay: Bartók started fighting tonality on #1, reconciled himself with it in the later concertos, especially #3
Toumani Diabaté/Ballake Sissoko - New Ancient Strings: the kora seems to my untrained ear to be tuned somewhat differently from Western instruments
Bach - Great Organ Works - Helmut Walcha: the organ here goes runs the full gamut

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,996 of 14,566

Mt first rock (?) concert back in the Cretaceous period was the Beach Boys! Eventually had most of their early albums along with Jefferson Airplane.

I think white rabbit should be on everybodies list. I don`t wanna make fun of anybodies taste. Really! I was just having some fun with Cozzi.
Even Andre Rieu has his place and merrits.(like Mike Foleys shrink making a few extra bucks) That I don`t get is more my problem than his anyways because that dude is rrrrrriiiiiich! Stinking filthy loaded he is.So probably he is way better at his thing than I am at mine for I can make no such claims about my own financial situation.

Maybe you should check out my list and see how many of those you would play on a sundayafternoon. And that list is mainly classics to me.
What I listen to on a daily basis would qualify as way more ridicoulous to most.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,998 of 14,566
I am presuming this 'desert island' has an Ygg + Rag + LS150 and perfect power

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,999 of 14,566
Furtwangler Tristan
Furtwangler 1953 (Rome) Ring Cycle
Furtwangler Beethoven Symphonies (incl. the 1942 9th)
Beethoven Piano Sonatas (Kempff, stereo cycle)
Le Nozze di Figaro (Harnoncourt 2006 recording)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back